What kind of dog should I get?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 am

Which kind of dog should I get? Lots of guys say labs, but then others say that Chessapeak Bay Retreivers are the superior choice. Which one is better? :lol:
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: What kind of dog should I get?

Postby Olly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 am

I'm gonna vote for a lab. Mines only half lab and he gets the ducks just fine!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:42 am

a chessapeake is a pretty big dog. bigger than an american lab. which im lookin to get this fall once i buy my own place.(been living back at home a year since finishing school and im abt to go crazy)
Some people dont like the large size bc its inconvenient riding in the truck and weighing down the boat. the only CBR ive ever known is a pet, hes big, dumb, and stubborn. not to say they all are. just the only experience ive had with one.
Its really going to come down to your preference on breed and how well you train the dog.
I found Ollys half lab when i was at college. i was told he was full lab with DU bloodlines and he turned out not to be but ive seen him in action and he does well.
he knows his job and is well mannered, and that is because he is well trained, ive seen full blooded labs who are wild as hell, wont be still, gun shy, and wont fetch ducks.
so like i said before to me it doesnt matter so much on the breed (im not saying go find a mutt and you will be fine bc i intend on getting a full blood american lab) but more so the amount of time and effort you put into training the dog.
i also do not see a reason to send a dog off to school,it takes a lot of time and effort but when you train the dog yourself you develop a bond with him or her and the dog will see you as his master and you can get much better results imo.
Do a lot of internet research on the breeds, go look at them and make your decision.
Ive been researching this quite a bit latley bc this will the first dog i get that is only mine and will not be a family pet.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby capt1972 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:48 am

^this Lab hands down!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:51 am

Poodle
Westie25

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Westie25 wrote:Poodle

Bwahahahaha. What happened to that guy? If you have to defend your dog, that harshly, you've got issues. If your dog is that good, prove it and let your dog blow everyone else out of the water.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 pm

I don't even remember who he was. Wasn't he from Florida? Or maybe there was another guy talking a guide in Florida. I can't remember.
Westie25

Postby Weston81 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:28 am

Ahhh, good ol "huntswithapoodle" that guy was a major d-bag. His last post I saw was quite the metldown.
Weston81

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:47 am

What kind of experience do you have with dogs?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:56 am

Redbeard wrote:What kind of experience do you have with dogs?

I live with one. And she brought her jack russel and two cats as well when she moved in.
Goldfish

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:14 pm

In my experience, a lab will listen to others more than a chessy. This can be a good thing when hunting because if someone in your group cripples a bird and they need the dog to find it they can use the dog while you continue to hunt. They will be able to give the dog commands and the dog will be more willing to obey. Chesapeake's will be more loyal to their owner. which is good but also limits the dog on it's usefulness. The better the dog listens to HUMANS the better IMO. labs will generally listen better.

I hunt near the mouth of the fourth largest river in North America. The weather turns fast and so do the tides. A healthy lab will do just as good of a job as a chessy in the conditions I hunt in.

I don't know how much cold weather affects them as I don't hunt what most people would consider 'cold'. I've hunted where the dogs coat is covered in ice. QH hunts with labs and he hunts them in WY. I'm not sure but I think WY gets just as cold as any other place and his dogs do just fine.
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:17 pm

I find it reassuring to know that no matter who tells my dog to do what, he will obey.

The down side is that my dogs do not make good guard dogs as they think everyone in the world will take them duck hunting and they think everyone in the world is welcome at my house. The dogs bark when I come home but if it is a stranger they will just stare at them hoping that they will get petted.
duckkillerclyde

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:29 pm

lab. black lab to be more specific

my cousin got bit on the nuts by a chesapeake. 9 out of 10 around here are meaner than hell
Bufflehead

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:33 pm

:? I have a feeling a few guys didn't quite get the humor in this thread...
Goldfish

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Westie25

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Westie25 wrote:

Ya'll do realize that the poodle was used in the breeding or nearly every water dog we know today?

According to AKC & CKC......
duckkillerclyde

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Pretty sure labs came from the Newfoundland waterdog. Mixed with what I guess I dont know. Could be a poodle, but I kinda doubt it. I have been wring before though
Goldfish

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:37 pm

I was merely making a funny that those that weren't banned from Dhc would appreciate.
Westie25

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Westie25 wrote:I was merely making a funny that those that weren't banned from Dhc would appreciate.

Lets keep all of the funny business in the blind.
duckkillerclyde

Postby Westie25 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:47 am

duckkillerclyde wrote:
Westie25 wrote:I was merely making a funny that those that weren't banned from Dhc would appreciate.

Lets keep all of the funny business in the blind.

Let's grow a sense of humor.
Westie25

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:17 pm

Weston81 wrote:Ahhh, good ol "huntswithapoodle" that guy was a major d-bag. His last post I saw was quite the metldown.

Lol. He started to take me up on my offer. Sent him my adress and he respectfully declined. Was he banned?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Weston81 wrote:Ahhh, good ol "huntswithapoodle" that guy was a major d-bag. His last post I saw was quite the metldown.

That post was awesome, no doubt.
River Ramblin' Man

Return to Gun Dog Forum