Delevan

Delevan

Postby Freezer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:53 pm

I got resi #12 for Delevan this Saturday. I haven't hunted there before but have started the research. I've hunted Grizzly for about ten years but this refuge is very different. I have all the decoys I need but plan on limiting my spread to groups of threes and fours of as many species as I'll need to look natural and attract birds. I'll choose a blind or island near the closed zones and add some geese to the spred for effect and a possible shot. What can you tell me about species selection and spreads? The weather forecast is cloudy and no wind.
Freezer

Re: Delevan

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:55 pm

I would stick with species of the waterfowl variety.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 pm

All spoons
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:20 am

Freezer wrote:I got resi #12 for Delevan this Saturday. I haven't hunted there before but have started the research. I've hunted Grizzly for about ten years but this refuge is very different. I have all the decoys I need but plan on limiting my spread to groups of threes and fours of as many species as I'll need to look natural and attract birds. I'll choose a blind or island near the closed zones and add some geese to the spred for effect and a possible shot. What can you tell me about species selection and spreads? The weather forecast is cloudy and no wind.

What kind of decoys do you have? I would use mallards, sprigs, widgets, teal and coots. The geese I would have about 20-40 yards way from the main spread (the goose decoys don't have to be in shooting range, because the geese are going to circle).
I would also talk to Gadwallgetter530 as he is the local refuge hunter. Good Luck!
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:17 am

The place is loaded with sprig wigeon and gaddys. With such a good number you shouldn't have a problem killing your birds. That refuge has been on fire. Go check out the blind averages for the season. Don't go on what happened the last shoot day. You never know what kind of hunters where there the day before. Some times its not a good reflection on how that particular blind can produce. You can also talk to the folks at the check station the night before and early that morning. They are some nice helpful people........... Or...You could always invite me. :mrgreen:
Last edited by GadwallGetter530 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby Tiler_J » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:35 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:The place is loaded with sprig wigeon and gaddys. With such a good number you shouldn't have a problem killing your birds. That refuge has been on fire. Go check out the blind averages for the season. Don't go on what happened the last shoot day. You never know what kind of hunters where there the day before. Some times its not a good reflection on how that perpendicular blind can produce. You can also talk to the folks at the check station the night before and early that morning. They are some nice helpful folks........... Worse case you could always invite me. :mrgreen:

Definitely worst case! :lol:

How do you hunt a "perpendicular blind"? What's it "perpendicular" too? I've never shot this particular refuge, so these "perpendicular" blinds sound strange.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:38 am

Tiler_J wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:The place is loaded with sprig wigeon and gaddys. With such a good number you shouldn't have a problem killing your birds. That refuge has been on fire. Go check out the blind averages for the season. Don't go on what happened the last shoot day. You never know what kind of hunters where there the day before. Some times its not a good reflection on how that perpendicular blind can produce. You can also talk to the folks at the check station the night before and early that morning. They are some nice helpful folks........... Worse case you could always invite me. :mrgreen:

How do you hunt a "perpendicular blind"? What's it "perpendicular" too? I've never shot this particular refuge, so these "perpendicular" blinds sound strange.

Stupid auto correct..... happy now? I fixed it you dick!!!
GadwallGetter530

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:42 am

Tiler_J wrote:

They're like regular blinds, you just have to shoot at a different angle.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:45 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:

They're like regular blinds, you just have to shoot at a different angle.

Actually Delevan doesn't have blinds. It's just the area you have to hunt in. They call them blinds for some reason. You have to stay in a certain area. You actually hide in the tules and brush...... JR is a dick also. :lol:
GadwallGetter530

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:48 am

Haha
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tiler_J » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:49 am

Hahaha!
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:56 am

Tiler_J wrote:

This would be a stake, perpendicular to the ground.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:57 am

Nevermind, gaddy explained the blinds there and fixed his mistake.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Filibuster » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:12 am

I've always enjoyed hunting that refuge. With the season coming to an end. Do you think I could get in there with out a reservation?
Filibuster

Postby Freezer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:54 pm

I'm going Friday afternoon. I'll use my standard spread wiith about 2 dozen decoys. A doxen sprig including shaker and feeder butts. I have a half doxen coots as confidencwe decoys and I'll have them and the feeder buts on a jerk string. I'll alos throw a couple shaker discs since there will be no wind. If I don't get a limit early I'll spend the day so I'll try to get a blind close to the closed zone. I think I'll leave the goose decoys behind since the major goose there are Shy Carp (Snow Geese) and I'll need a lot of them, that I don't have. Thanks tou the folks who gave me real feedback. I read it and did research on the DFW website to figure this trip out.
Freezer

Postby AKPirate » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:09 pm

I would cancel the Delevan hunt and go to the Eel River. That place is on fire.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:12 pm

AKPirate wrote:I would cancel the Delevan hunt and go to the Eel River. That place is on fire.

:lol:
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 am

Freezer wrote:I'm going Friday afternoon. I'll use my standard spread wiith about 2 dozen decoys. A doxen sprig including shaker and feeder butts. I have a half doxen coots as confidencwe decoys and I'll have them and the feeder buts on a jerk string. I'll alos throw a couple shaker discs since there will be no wind. If I don't get a limit early I'll spend the day so I'll try to get a blind close to the closed zone. I think I'll leave the goose decoys behind since the major goose there are Shy Carp (Snow Geese) and I'll need a lot of them, that I don't have. Thanks tou the folks who gave me real feedback. I read it and did research on the DFW website to figure this trip out.

Gotta remember their will be no shooting of the brown geese.Specs are off limits. Every thing else is far Game. Their has been a few honkers floating around out there along with a shit load of whites. Good luck :thumbsup: .
GadwallGetter530

Postby Filibuster » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:00 am

So how did your hunt go Freeze?
Filibuster

Postby Freezer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:58 pm

I blew it! I partnered up with a man about seventy who though a good guy with a great dog is stuborn and set in his ways. He wanted Blind #1 and swore it was a mallard hole. I didn't take a shot. We had a few spoonies come through and I really avoid shooting spoonies. The Check station posts from Wednesday said the main ducks shot were gadwall and spoonies. It was an ok hunt I just wish I had stuck to my guns and went to the southern blinds, they were shooting OK. Live and learn. I appriciate the advise here and it saved me a lot of work carrying goose decoys. There were a lot of Snowies and Specs with a few Blues in the mix. Not one Canadian. No geese came in range of us.
Freezer

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Freezer wrote:I blew it! I partnered up with a man about seventy who though a good guy with a great dog is stuborn and set in his ways. He wanted Blind #1 and swore it was a mallard hole. I didn't take a shot. We had a few spoonies come through and I really avoid shooting spoonies. The Check station posts from Wednesday said the main ducks shot were gadwall and spoonies. It was an ok hunt I just wish I had stuck to my guns and went to the southern blinds, they were shooting OK. Live and learn. I appriciate the advise here and it saved me a lot of work carrying goose decoys. There were a lot of Snowies and Specs with a few Blues in the mix. Not one Canadian. No geese came in range of us.

Sounds like me. I hardly stick to my plans and wind up kicking myself for it later.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:20 am

I like one during the first half of the season. Was pond 4 available when you went up to the window? It tends to do better being further away from the check station. It's a nice tule pond and it tends to have a few mallards floating around it.
GadwallGetter530

Return to California Duck Hunting Forum