new to field duck hunting

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

new to field duck hunting

Postby divebomber » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:14 pm

This is gonna be my first year hunting mallards in fields this year, i am from minnesota but i will be making a trip to ND to hunt ducks so my question is what kind of spread should i use, i have 2 dozen full body goose decoys along with about 15 of the big grand magnum goose shells and a dozen ghg hot buy shells and a dozen full body mallard decoys, i am just wandering if you guys think with the decoys i have could make a decent spread for ducks or should i buy more field duck decoys, i do a couple dozen mallard floater decoys too if i could work them in there some how, any feedback would be great thanks guys im new on here.
divebomber

Re: new to field duck hunting

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:51 pm

If anything, I would add a mojo or 2 if I were you. Mojos are deadly in fields.

Oh and :welcome:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Mojo's are for fags, when you think your god good enough keep brushing,don't move, birds will work for what seems forever, it's a real tough job making the call, keep your spread simple make one guy the caller of the shot and nobody moves until its called
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Mojo's in fields are so deadly it's almost unfair.

I'd add more geese if anything
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby divebomber » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:05 pm

I have a blue bill floating mojo if I could make a standfor it do you guys think that would work
divebomber

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:07 pm

If you can get 2-5 feet in the air it would increase visibility and work better, but even if you could get to stand up on the ground it would work. Spinning wings are the shit in fields.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Before spinners absolutely dead flipping on pre-scouting to be ON, NOT JUST NEAR "the X" was critical or you could sit in a perfect field rig calling your brains out and watching thousands of ducks funnel in a couple hundred yards away.

And I'd not sweat more duck decoys, they'll come better to goose decoys that are more visible.
Rick

Postby sws002 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 pm

Also, I'm not sure where you are heading in ND or when, but one thing I would strongly suggest (besides being ON the X), is investing in some snow goose decoys. Depending on the time you are heading there, the ducks follow the snows when they are there, and the honkers don't come in full force until later in the season. I know we will be bringing at least 10 dozen socks of some sort when we go.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Tomkat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:54 am

jehler wrote:Mojo's are for fags,

Fags with big piles of dead birds.
Tomkat

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 am

Dry field sets can be as easy or as complicated as you want. If you find the birds and set up right were they were the day before you'll be in business. Concealment is the key. I killed alot of ducks up north in dry fields. I found that ducks respond to a good set of goose decoys just as well or better then a field of full body mallards. It seems to me that they keyed in on them really well because they are so visible. On field duck hunts we would put the layout just on the top of the hole with the bulk of the decoys on our sides and behind us with a hand full trailing down wind on either side. With the mojo's right behind us. It would pull the birds with in yards of the blind. If you are hidden well you can literally have ducks land on the blinds. We did this in Alberta and Saskatchewan pea and Barley fields if that makes any difference. From what you would be doing in North Dakota.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:37 am

Tomkat wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:42 am

sws002 wrote:Also, I'm not sure where you are heading in ND or when, but one thing I would strongly suggest (besides being ON the X), is investing in some snow goose decoys. Depending on the time you are heading there, the ducks follow the snows when they are there, and the honkers don't come in full force until later in the season. I know we will be bringing at least 10 dozen socks of some sort when we go.

X2

Sent from my new unbroken fully functional phone
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:46 am

assateague wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

You like that jimmy?
Tomkat

Postby mcbn48 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:26 am

divebomber wrote:This is gonna be my first year hunting mallards in fields this year, i am from minnesota but i will be making a trip to ND to hunt ducks so my question is what kind of spread should i use, i have 2 dozen full body goose decoys along with about 15 of the big grand magnum goose shells and a dozen ghg hot buy shells and a dozen full body mallard decoys, i am just wandering if you guys think with the decoys i have could make a decent spread for ducks or should i buy more field duck decoys, i do a couple dozen mallard floater decoys too if i could work them in there some how, any feedback would be great thanks guys im new on here.

A group of us have been hunting ND fields for almost 20 years now. Here's what we drag out there:
4 doz full bodied goose
15 doz full bodied mallard
75 goose silloutes
75 mallard silloutes

Scouting is most important. WE usually get limits every day we hunt. And done before lunch time.
mcbn48

Postby Westie25 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Tomkat wrote:

Without a spinner

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375485851.518091.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375485866.338012.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375485880.738508.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375485899.521399.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Westie25

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Westie25 wrote:Without a spinner

There's much to be said for a friend who will manage the family rice farm for your hunts.
Rick

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:18 pm

assateague

Postby Olly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Rick wrote:

There's much to be said for a friend who will manage the family rice farm for your hunts.

Beat me to it. It's easy to not use a spinner when the ducks pour in for the hundreds of acres of rice.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Boom
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:26 pm

At bayou, those who have the most success, don't run spinners. They're garbage.
Westie25

Postby Westie25 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Rick wrote:

I love you.
Westie25

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:39 pm

I wouldn't waste my time with a spinner over water/marsh/bayou

But a dry field??? You better set it exactly where you want to take your shots, because that's where the birds will be hovering.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby sws002 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:50 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I wouldn't waste my time with a spinner over water/marsh/bayou

But a dry field??? You better set it exactly where you want to take your shots, because that's where the birds will be hovering.

This. And if you have any newbs with you, make sure they know where the mojos are so they don't fucking shoot them. And anybody who says geese won't finish over them is lying, not saying they don't flare geese, but I've seen plenty of geese feet down, mojos screaming.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:46 am

Westie25 wrote:
Rick wrote:

I love you.

You just want to get in my pants.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:49 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I wouldn't waste my time with a spinner over water/marsh/bayou

There it is for big ducks. But even down here at the end of the spinner and guns gauntlet, a spinner will still draw most teal.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:51 am

sws002 wrote:And anybody who says geese won't finish over them is lying, not saying they don't flare geese, but I've seen plenty of geese feet down, mojos screaming.

Sounds like Canada.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:46 am

Olly wrote:
Rick wrote:

Beat me to it. It's easy to not use a spinner when the ducks pour in for the hundreds of acres of rice.

Sent from my phone.

X3
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:50 am

Rick wrote:

There it is for big ducks. But even down here at the end of the spinner and guns gauntlet, a spinner will still draw most teal.

Good point Rick. We don't have an opportunity to specifically target early teal and by later in our season, they're long gone.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:02 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Rick wrote:

Good point Rick. We don't have an opportunity to specifically target early teal and by later in our season, they're long gone.
youth hunt, when your boys are ready that mojo teal is amazing
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:05 am

A MI teal season is being discussed literally, right now.

Looks like reality for Sept '14
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum