Yesterday

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Yesterday

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:52 am

11/3/13

This morning I got up early and headed to the river for hunt. I finished building the blind and setting the decoys almost 40 minutes before legal shoot time. So, I sat there on my chair, poured a cup of coffee, turned off my headlight and just listened. I heard the sounds of water running through the riffles in front of me. I heard the occasional sounds of cattle in the pasture. As it got lighter I started hearing the sounds of birds in the trees surrounding me.

As it inched closer to shoot time I caught glimpses of movement from birds flying up or down the river. Over head I saw stars, and storm clouds as they slowly worked their way across the sky.

My dog came over and laid her head in my lap, and I petted her as I sipped my coffee. I heard a lot of different sounds, but what I noticed most was what I didn't hear, or see. I didn't hear any voices. I didn't hear any cars. I didn't hear any radios, or TV's. I didn't see any city lights.

What I saw and heard was nature. I was completely and utterly removed from any human influence...and I loved it. I was exactly where I was born to be.

This morning I was witness to wigeon landing on the gravel bar just after shoot time. I saw them highlighted against the pale morning light as they silently glided down river. They briefly disappeared into the shadows and were gone for an instant, and then suddenly were there, wings backpedaling and feet down as they touched down on the rocks in front of me. I was treated to the sight of wood ducks as they darted in and out of my little cove, and was thrilled to hear their distinctive whistle as they traveled the river in search of others of their kind. My dog and I sat in our willow branch blind while mergansers swam and dove no more than 10 yards away. We were privy to the jerky flight of kingfishers as they chattered back and forth, looking for a nice morning meal.

There is no place on the planet that I would rather be than in a duck blind. My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour, and they will have no concept of what I'm talking about. What they are missing is something they will never experience "on the streets".

That's a shame. A real shame.

The objective is to turn live ducks into dead ducks
Mean Gene

Re: Yesterday

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:00 am

Couldn't agree more Gene. Congrats on your successful hunt.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:18 am

Nice post gene.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Redbeard » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:21 am

As always another classic post from mean gene

#tazincali
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby flight control » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 am

Great post Gene. I felt like that could have been any one of the places I hunt. Congrats on a beautiful morning in the blind
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 am

Very nice. Did you use your decoys? That should have added to the experience...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby capt1972 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:38 pm

nice post!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Post like this are awesome. Thanks for sharing
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby rozzo842 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Great post, definitely reminds me of many mornings in the woods, hunting or not.
rozzo842

Postby Goldfish » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:52 pm

Mean Gene wrote: My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour

That right there, is an amazing statement. I'm using that for my signature.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Good lookin strap and great story Gene.

#tazincali2014itsgonnahappen
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:01 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Did you use your decoys?

Is a frog's ass waterproof? Be crazy if he didn't.
Rick

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am

Rick wrote:

May not be ready yet. It seemed like he had a lot of work to do before getting them in the water. I hope he did though!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:53 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Rick wrote:

May not be ready yet. It seemed like he had a lot of work to do before getting them in the water. I hope he did though!

He did

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum