What load for Mallard ?

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

What load for Mallard ?

Postby Jrhunter25 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:06 pm

I plan to hunt passing mallards at ranges of up to 50 yards with a 12 gauge pump or semi auto shotgun ( possibly using a 32" barrel on a Winchester Model 12 non vent rib ). I may hunt closer over decoys with a max range of 25 yards. I am 13 so recoil is a partial issue ( I am 'big' ), I would want to use 2 3/4" shells or 3" shells at longer range. I have heard of Black Cloud by Federal Premium and Blind Side by Winchester. These two interest me the most. Has anyone used either ? How did they perform ?
Jrhunter25

Re: What load for Mallard ?

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Shooting 2 3/4" go for kent 1 1/8 oz loads 2 or 3 shot. 3" 1 1/8 oz 3 shot
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Don't waste your money on guimmic loads. Stick with the basics like kent fasteel or Winchester expert. You will also be a lot more successful if you keep your shots to 30 yards or less. It takes a lot of skill to hit a duck at 50 yards...something a lot of veteran hunters still can do.
A 2 3/4" load of #3 shot will kill ducks stone dead. Just let the birds work and stay well hidden. They will work in and come feet down in your face. You will kill a lot more birds by waiting for them to get close instead of shooting at them passing by. You'll do a lot less missing and have a lot more fun watching the birds work.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:25 am

2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #3 or 4

3" 1 1/4 oz #3 or 4

Are the loads I would use. Try to get shells with a muzzle velocity of 1,400 fps or more.

Be careful shooting steel shot in your Mod 12 Winchester, especially if it is a fixed full choke gun. With steel shot, a modified choke preforms about the same as a full choke with lead shot and Mod 12's were made before steel shot was required.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby ea oneal » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:27 am

RonE wrote:2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #3 or 4

3" 1 1/4 oz #3 or 4

Are the loads I would use. Try to get shells with a muzzle velocity of 1,400 fps or more.

Be careful shooting steel shot in your Mod 12 Winchester, especially if it is a fixed full choke gun. With steel shot, a modified choke preforms about the same as a full choke with lead shot and Mod 12's were made before steel shot was required.

he,s telling you true if it,s a full choke it,s not if but what shot you bulge the barrel i have 3 that i got cheap that way and it ain't cheap to fix em.mod you can shoot 2 3/4 kent,s 3inch is risky and even a cheap grade model 12 is a fine gun .do like the guys say and work em close 3s n 4s 2 3/4 kent,s .my girl shoot,s a mossy 835 she,s 115 in waders no problem,s .well her no ,duck,s ya
ea oneal

Postby quackhead » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 am

My vote is 3" bb's. Extended tube way less cripples with bb's. That's all I shoot.
quackhead

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 am

quackhead wrote:My vote is 3" bb's. Extended tube way less cripples with bb's. That's all I shoot.

I use BBs when I shoot my 10. They will drop birds deader than a hammer. Never have shot them out of a 12 though.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby flight control » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 am

My favorite load for mallards when I lived near mallard spots was 2 3/4 BBs. It could reach out and touch them at reasonable ranges and kill them dead in your face without tearing them up too bad, but only if you're targeting big ducks. Teal at 40 yards using BBs can be frustrating.

Now, I shoot 3" #2s for all ducks, which is also a very good load. And I'm with the other guys, don't get the gimmic loads (blindside and blackcloud), sure, they work, but no better than kent, federal blue box and winchester superx
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Tomkat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 am

At Jarbos suggestion I bought a Blackcloud choke for my gun. I did not buy their ammo but I did pattern test the tube with my loads.

It worked pretty good out of my gun.
Tomkat

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:40 am

Im not a fan of BB for mallards. Not enough destiny at the ranges where BB would outshine smaller shot. The biggest I would go for mallard is #1 shot. And I feel that is still too big. 2 or 3 shot for mallards is best in my opinion. I use 3 shot and have no problem dropping big mallards out to 45 yards.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:27 am

I hear 7.5s should do the trick.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Tomkat wrote:At Jarbos suggestion I bought a Blackcloud choke for my gun. I did not buy their ammo but I did pattern test the tube with my loads.

Only if you are jump shooting them.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Theduckguru » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:36 pm

For 50 yards with steel shot, go with #2 steel. 2-3/4" Remington Nito 1-1/8 oz will work with lower recoil.
Theduckguru

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:14 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Tomkat wrote:At Jarbos suggestion I bought a Blackcloud choke for my gun. I did not buy their ammo but I did pattern test the tube with my loads.

Only if you are jump shooting them.

Eric

Have never used it on a jump.
Tomkat

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:38 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Don't waste your money on guimmic loads. Stick with the basics like kent fasteel or Winchester expert. You will also be a lot more successful if you keep your shots to 30 yards or less. It takes a lot of skill to hit a duck at 50 yards...something a lot of veteran hunters still can do.
A 2 3/4" load of #3 shot will kill ducks stone dead. Just let the birds work and stay well hidden. They will work in and come feet down in your face. You will kill a lot more birds by waiting for them to get close instead of shooting at them passing by. You'll do a lot less missing and have a lot more fun watching the birds work.

This^. Very well said. No waste spending $25 for a box full of gimmicks and maybe only hit 5/25 shots with them. The cheap stuff knocks them hard.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 pm

Jrhunter25 wrote: mallards at ranges of up to 50 yards with a 12 gauge pump or semi auto shotgun

Back up...
50 yards? FIFTY?

I would concentrate on setting up the decoys in such a way as to get the ducks to attempt to land as close as TWENTY FEET.
Once you get to where you can actually call and decoy mallards, you can use 2.75¨ steel in #7, #6, #5, #4, #3, #2, #1, or BB.
Practice shooting, work on your decoy setup, and calling skills.
FORGET about the magic 50 yard loads.
I am serious. You can not afford that high dollar ammo and it fucks up shotguns.
Them 1700 fps hypersonics are literally ruining semi-autos.

A 13-year-old should not be trying to extend his range limits.
I, Betty, have spoken.

Good luck son. Practice shooting a LOT!!!
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby duck dawg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:51 pm

You might get lucky and kill one duck at 50 yards but you will scare off a bunch of birds and waist a lot of shells in the process. If its a old gun make sure the barrel can to shoot steel. I have had good look out of Kent 2 3/4 #4. I shot Hevi Metal 3" #2 & 3# this year and was real pleased with how they preformed. Let the bird work in closer and you will kill mo ducks. Guaranteed :duck:
duck dawg

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:53 am

But if you let the birds work in close you definitely won't need hevi-metal 3" shells, save those for the 50 yard shots.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:55 am

3legged_lab wrote:But if you let the birds work in close you definitely won't need hevi-metal 3" shells, save those for the 50 yard shots.

I regularly load me up some magnums and they are deadly out to 80 yards about 5% of the time. Want me to load you some?
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:01 am

AKPirate wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:But if you let the birds work in close you definitely won't need hevi-metal 3" shells, save those for the 50 yard shots.

I regularly load me up some magnums and they are deadly out to 80 yards about 5% of the time. Want me to load you some?

Ya buddy! Make sure they're T shot, has better down range energy.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:05 am

I kill mallards with my web slinger.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby AKPirate » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:06 am

3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

Done.

YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:10 am

AKPirate wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

Done.

Bet she always gets nervous right before it blows
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:13 am

3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

Done.

Bet she always gets nervous right before it blows

Did you notice the nipple gauge said it was cold in that room?
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby greenheadsonly4848 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Try the Hevimetal Shells....I love the 3" BB's or 2's
greenheadsonly4848

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum