scull boating and duck hunting

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

scull boating and duck hunting

Postby duckies » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:37 pm

1 post • Page 1 of 1

Postby duckies » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:33 pm

New to the site! But, before I post I'd like to say Merry Xmas too all.
Learning about the site from a close friend He asked me to look at the site and if I could possibly answer a question or two pertaining to Scull boating, as I have been doing this lost art for over 50 yrs.
Some History'
Started my sculling in Humboldt Bay California at the age of 14 and was ever so fortunate to learn from the very best, two Men whom were market hunters of those very early yrs. One teaching too shoot as the other giving all the pointers and skills to learn to scull the right way.
With those early boats changing to a more lower profile when the market days became non existent and limits were put harshly on all waterfowl. I heard the long stories of the huge numbers of ducks killed for market daily.
I read something here on the forum about color and what and how to use the different colors of the sculls used today.
I did not read a thing about everything else that goes along with the sculling in order to kill a nice limit of mallard or sprig on pretty much a daily outing. All I heard was if the color is wrong you were basically not going to kill much.
Most of us know that the back drop where ever we hunt has a lot to do with sight of. But I think we also forget the sun and where it is as we start our scull or the wind, the chop on the water and even in many situation swell for other boating in open bays lakes, reservoirs etc. Believe me there is much, more to sculling then just the color. Don't get me wrong color has its part But there are those days when a pure white boat can kill a limit and then there are those days when what are we going to do we didn't change the color to meet the day or bay we are hunting.. One of my closest friends whom is no loner with us today used deck and porch grey on his boat as long as I knew him and he was one of two of the best sculler I knew. MR George Dean and MR William(Bill) Nellist. These boys not only could scull but MAN could they shoot which is only one more part of being good at sculling. I'm not going to rattle on more about all the great yrs I have seen come and go but if I can help a sculler master his sculling kills I would be more than happy to do so.. Thanks Guys Great hunting in 13 and merry xmas to all :duck: :duck:
duckies

Re: scull boating and duck hunting

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Keep telling us more please. Anyone with as much experience as you...I will be silent, listen to each word, take notes, and maybe ask a question or two.

Please, tell us all you know. :mrgreen:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum