Calling

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Calling

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:00 pm

I need any advice I can get on calling. I can get my call to have a ducky "sound" I am just asking about a ducky "strategy". Like, calling only on corners, or flying away, not while the bird is coming straight at you (not sure if this is good advice or not) or using alot of single quacks istead of feeding chuckle, or vice versa. That kind of stuff.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Re: Calling

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Rex, you listen up, too.

Right up front, if all you can do is "get (your) call to have a ducky sound," the most constructive thing you're apt to do is make background muzak for the birds to listen to while they decide if they like your setup enough to toll regardless, or in spite of, whatever ducky sounds you venture to put forth. Learn to run a call well enough that you're absolutely certain you're not going to spook something by squawking, because without that certainty you'll never muster the guts to call in an assertive manner that does real good, instead of just not running stuff off. There's a ton of good, free instruction on youtube; make use of it, keep a call in your pocket and/or truck, and run the hell out of it until it's second nature.

When that's the case, you'll be able to make some use of things like this little primer I wrote for another board some time back:

At its tactical core, calling ducks is about momentum: creating it, breaking it, maintaining it and, sometimes, just not getting in its way. So I take my calling cues by paying attention to the birds' momentum.

If the location and decoys are doing my job for me, and the birds want to come to the guns, I'll let 'em. Calling only enough to keep them coming if they waver and/or to put them "right there". Not getting in the way of birds that want to work was little doubt the inspiration for the old saw about calling only to tail feathers and wing tips.

By the same token, if the birds haven't shown me their intent, I'll call just enough to get our hat in the ring. And if they jump for it, chances are they can be finessed the rest of the way by tickling them "on the corners". Again letting the birds' momentum do most of the work.

But if birds blow off a simple greeting and drive on toward parts unknown, I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by hitting them hard with the call. Here again, if they're quick to turn to it, they'll probably do most of the work from there on in.

And if they don't turn to, I really amp it up, watching for any little wink or blink of a wing suggesting the jackhammer will work if I can just crank it up a little louder and longer. When I can't get anything to flirt, I'm only out some wind. But when something will wink or blink, and I don't run out of wind, our chances of getting shooting out of it are excellent.

Wasn't always so, however, because when I'd worked that hard to break something off a flock or turn the bunch, I worried about over calling and backed off as they headed to us - only to lose them when I did. Took me a lot more such losses than I'm happy admitting to realize that even when I turned the whole flock and not just a bird or two from it, the real momentum was still headed toward whatever was drawing them away in the first place and might well stay that way. Many such birds are either coaxed all the way to the guns or lost, presumably to their prior destination.

If there's a "rule" to such things, it may be that the harder birds are to turn in the first place, the more likely the need to call to their faces until you call the shot. "Tails and tips" be damned.

Very often, too, we'll see that birds within hailing range appear deaf, because they're zeroed in on another nearby spot, and our best efforts aren't turning them. We can't break the momentum toward that location within their view, like we could toward a distant, perhaps less tangible, goal.

But it's often the case that we can then use their own momentum against such birds by letting those apparently locked on such a spot go to it, break down for it, and then, when their circling heads them our general direction, calling to their faces to keep them headed our way, perhaps thinking there might be a better deal just a little farther on. Or just caught up in the call.

Again, though, don't let up as they approach or pass a good shot hoping for a better one, because they've already shown that what they really want is over yonder.

And that's more than enough of that for a while. Lots and lots of other tactical stuff, including gosh knows how many under the label "most important thing" or "secrets" that probably aren't. But I think a fellow who really pays attention to momentum and calls accordingly has a far better foundation to build on than most.
Rick

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Rick wrote:Rex, you listen up, too.

Right up front, if all you can do is "get (your) call to have a ducky sound," the most constructive thing you're apt to do is make background muzak for the birds to listen to while they decide if they like your setup enough to toll regardless, or in spite of, whatever ducky sounds you venture to put forth. Learn to run a call well enough that you're absolutely certain you're not going to spook something by squawking, because without that certainty you'll never muster the guts to call in an assertive manner that does real good, instead of just not running stuff off. There's a ton of good, free instruction on youtube; make use of it, keep a call in your pocket and/or truck, and run the hell out of it until it's second nature.

When that's the case, you'll be able to make some use of things like this little primer I wrote for another board some time back:

At its tactical core, calling ducks is about momentum: creating it, breaking it, maintaining it and, sometimes, just not getting in its way. So I take my calling cues by paying attention to the birds' momentum.

If the location and decoys are doing my job for me, and the birds want to come to the guns, I'll let 'em. Calling only enough to keep them coming if they waver and/or to put them "right there". Not getting in the way of birds that want to work was little doubt the inspiration for the old saw about calling only to tail feathers and wing tips.

By the same token, if the birds haven't shown me their intent, I'll call just enough to get our hat in the ring. And if they jump for it, chances are they can be finessed the rest of the way by tickling them "on the corners". Again letting the birds' momentum do most of the work.

But if birds blow off a simple greeting and drive on toward parts unknown, I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by hitting them hard with the call. Here again, if they're quick to turn to it, they'll probably do most of the work from there on in.

And if they don't turn to, I really amp it up, watching for any little wink or blink of a wing suggesting the jackhammer will work if I can just crank it up a little louder and longer. When I can't get anything to flirt, I'm only out some wind. But when something will wink or blink, and I don't run out of wind, our chances of getting shooting out of it are excellent.

Wasn't always so, however, because when I'd worked that hard to break something off a flock or turn the bunch, I worried about over calling and backed off as they headed to us - only to lose them when I did. Took me a lot more such losses than I'm happy admitting to realize that even when I turned the whole flock and not just a bird or two from it, the real momentum was still headed toward whatever was drawing them away in the first place and might well stay that way. Many such birds are either coaxed all the way to the guns or lost, presumably to their prior destination.

If there's a "rule" to such things, it may be that the harder birds are to turn in the first place, the more likely the need to call to their faces until you call the shot. "Tails and tips" be damned.

Very often, too, we'll see that birds within hailing range appear deaf, because they're zeroed in on another nearby spot, and our best efforts aren't turning them. We can't break the momentum toward that location within their view, like we could toward a distant, perhaps less tangible, goal.

But it's often the case that we can then use their own momentum against such birds by letting those apparently locked on such a spot go to it, break down for it, and then, when their circling heads them our general direction, calling to their faces to keep them headed our way, perhaps thinking there might be a better deal just a little farther on. Or just caught up in the call.

Again, though, don't let up as they approach or pass a good shot hoping for a better one, because they've already shown that what they really want is over yonder.

And that's more than enough of that for a while. Lots and lots of other tactical stuff, including gosh knows how many under the label "most important thing" or "secrets" that probably aren't. But I think a fellow who really pays attention to momentum and calls accordingly has a far better foundation to build on than most.

Could not have been said better.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Rick wrote:

This is something that is hard to make yourself do. But it started paying off more times than not this last season.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Thu May 01, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks Rick. I am not really worried about scaring duck by just squawking because I am past that now. I was really wondering when to call, back off, call harder, etc. (Which you answered.) Reading your post made me remember the first duck I called in. It was last year, because u until then I didn't even bring my calls on hunts because I wasn't good enough, and up until the first duck I called I let my dad do all of the calling and kept my call away from my mouth. Then one day his cheap calls finally failed him, and started sounding like shit. This made him stop calling so I decided I would start trying. Well we see this lone drake mallard, and I star calling at it, using mostly single quacks because I wasn't confident in my cadences. He gets real interested and is starting to lock up, but the dog decided to stick it's head out of a slit in the blind, and he flared and landed about 300 yards out. So I let him sit a little, and started hitting him with the single quacks again, and started calling a little harder as he got more interested. Finally he got up off the water and flew back to us for a second look, and came across my dad's end of the blind. My dad came up and shot at him once and missed, then I started calling at him real hard and he swung back and landed again about 300 yards out. So I started hitting him with more single quacks, but throwing more cadences in. He finally jumps off the water again, and circles us twice before making up his mind and trying to land again. He came in on my dad's side of the blind, my dad missed and just before I get my shot off, my buddy smokes him. The really cool part was that was his first drake mallard.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Rick » Thu May 01, 2014 6:51 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:The really cool part was that was his first drake mallard.

The really cool part to me is that your ass is hooked.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu May 01, 2014 7:06 am

Flightstopper wrote:
Rick wrote:

This is something that is hard to make yourself do. But it started paying off more times than not this last season.

Some years back I had a strong rice field speck blind that was near a large, unhunted expanse of flooded field the ducks pretty much literally covered up, and I threw the book and then some at birds trafficking to it with poor result before finally learning to keep hushed while they went to it and broke down for it, then absolutely hammer them when they were low and more or less headed our direction. Took me a while longer to learn that then staying on them hard, all the way to our guns, was the ticket.

Ironically, I'd been interviewed for articles in DU and our state rag that year on late season hunting and chanted "Hide better and call less." for both. Don't you know it seemed like most everyone through my blind had read one or the other piece, and I was asked time and again, "What happened to 'call less'?"

"Didn't work."

Gotta run for a while, but I'll be back with the moral of that story...well, actually, another calling story and the real moral of them both.
Rick

Postby Woody » Thu May 01, 2014 7:09 am

Good advice from an very experienced fowler. Thanks for sharing, Rick! :thumbsup:
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Rick » Thu May 01, 2014 11:08 am

And I thank you for the segue. Experience only counts if you're paying attention, which brings us to:

When I was in my first season of guiding full time, I carried a great father and son on their first hunts, the father of which was a haberdasher by trade with no real interest in hunting beyond loving a young son who wanted to try it. They took hunter safety and shooting lessons together and showed up as well prepared as new hunters could be. Unfortunately, their first morning my then boss paired them for goose hunting with what remains the worst father and son combination (a wealthy Alaskan taking his spoiled rotten son around the world for surviving through college). Long story made shorter, our morning began with me physically restraining the younger Alaskan from bringing his new AR-15 in the field and went downhill from there until I shut the hunt down when the elder Alaskan intentionally shot a glossy ibis after being repeatedly warned not to. We'd managed to shoot a pretty mess of specks and blues/snows in the interim, but crowd control issues made the hunt a candidate for the ugliest I've known, and the only thing between the Alaskans and what they sorely needed was my desire to keep that first guiding job.

That afternoon I took the good father and son on their first duck hunt, and who should happen to be hunting the pit on the other end of our flooded bean field but the spoiled young Alaskan, who'd told his father not to go, too, because he wanted to hunt one on one with a guide and shoot all the ducks himself. It was on.

I like to blew the stopper out of a DC Cutdown Reacher making certain Airhole's poor guide, "Fat Tommy," didn't have a prayer of getting him shooting. Never called so effectively in my then-young life, and pulled flight after flight away from them and across the flood to where the good father and I were letting his boy do the lion's share of the shooting. Airhole finally got so POed he stomped back to the camp to demand another spot, and I was feeling mighty smug for a while.

But it soon became apparent I'd lost my magic with just a few birds left on our limits. Tried every trick I knew, begged and pleaded and finally admitted aloud that I didn't know what the heck had happened. It was then that a fellow on his very first duck hunt taught me most important calling lesson I've received from a human, before or since. The father said, "I don't know the first thing about duck hunting, but it sure sounds like you quit telling the ducks what to do and started asking them."

Wow. Maintaining a "telling" calling attitude has been absolutely huge for me. And time and again my logs have documented days when I've forgotten that, become tentative and been frustrated by flocks I couldn't break, only to get my calling mojo back by remembering that fellow's observation and changing my and, in turn, my calling's attitude.

But the even bigger, overriding lesson is the importance of paying attention. My mentor may not have been able squeeze a quack from a call, but he had the presence of mind I lacked, and still too often do, to pay real attention to the calling and birds' reactions to it. If you young guys can make paying attention habitual, you'll be light years ahead of the crowd. And not just in calling. Something to that Zen stuff.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am

After all that I find myself thinking of my Grandpa Harper who called my "windy".
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 01, 2014 11:19 am

When i'm watching waves of ducks go by it's tempting to call at every single bunch and some days I do.
Have learned to watch the way each vee is flying and kind of 'scout' for a vee that has a couple weak flyers.
The ducks signal their intent with little things like their heads looking down bobbing side to side as if they're searching for a good spot to rest.
I pour it on when I see even one duck that's looking down hard out of a hundred.
Break that one and the rest will generally follow. It gets crazy quick once you get one to land.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Redbeard » Thu May 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Good thread. Good advice Rick
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Deltaman » Thu May 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Rick wrote:And I thank you for the segue. Experience only counts if you're paying attention, which brings us to:

When I was in my first season of guiding full time, I carried a great father and son on their first hunts, the father of which was a haberdasher by trade with no real interest in hunting beyond loving a young son who wanted to try it. They took hunter safety and shooting lessons together and showed up as well prepared as new hunters could be. Unfortunately, their first morning my then boss paired them for goose hunting with what remains the worst father and son combination (a wealthy Alaskan taking his spoiled rotten son around the world for surviving through college). Long story made shorter, our morning began with me physically restraining the younger Alaskan from bringing his new AR-15 in the field and went downhill from there until I shut the hunt down when the elder Alaskan intentionally shot a glossy ibis after being repeatedly warned not to. We'd managed to shoot a pretty mess of specks and blues/snows in the interim, but crowd control issues made the hunt a candidate for the ugliest I've known, and the only thing between the Alaskans and what they sorely needed was my desire to keep that first guiding job.

That afternoon I took the good father and son on their first duck hunt, and who should happen to be hunting the pit on the other end of our flooded bean field but the spoiled young Alaskan, who'd told his father not to go, too, because he wanted to hunt one on one with a guide and shoot all the ducks himself. It was on.

I like to blew the stopper out of a DC Cutdown Reacher making certain Airhole's poor guide, "Fat Tommy," didn't have a prayer of getting him shooting. Never called so effectively in my then-young life, and pulled flight after flight away from them and across the flood to where the good father and I were letting his boy do the lion's share of the shooting. Airhole finally got so POed he stomped back to the camp to demand another spot, and I was feeling mighty smug for a while.

But it soon became apparent I'd lost my magic with just a few birds left on our limits. Tried every trick I knew, begged and pleaded and finally admitted aloud that I didn't know what the heck had happened. It was then that a fellow on his very first duck hunt taught me most important calling lesson I've received from a human, before or since. The father said, "I don't know the first thing about duck hunting, but it sure sounds like you quit telling the ducks what to do and started asking them."

Wow. Maintaining a "telling" calling attitude has been absolutely huge for me. And time and again my logs have documented days when I've forgotten that, become tentative and been frustrated by flocks I couldn't break, only to get my calling mojo back by remembering that fellow's observation and changing my and, in turn, my calling's attitude.

But the even bigger, overriding lesson is the importance of paying attention. My mentor may not have been able squeeze a quack from a call, but he had the presence of mind I lacked, and still too often do, to pay real attention to the calling and birds' reactions to it. If you young guys can make paying attention habitual, you'll be light years ahead of the crowd. And not just in calling. Something to that Zen stuff.

Excellent story and lesson Rick!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu May 01, 2014 1:19 pm

All of this advice...for free!

Good stuff, guys!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:27 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:All of this advice...for free!

Good stuff, guys!

No kidding, what is that 30-40 years hard experience? The stuff people would pay good money for all for free. Thanks Rick, great post! I can say from personal experience that listening to Rick over the past couple of years on the different forums has helped me to become more efficient or maybe confident in calling birds. The man really knows what he's talking about, and to boot is modest about it. Much respect Rick. :beer:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Thu May 01, 2014 1:45 pm

rebelp74 wrote:...and to boot is modest about it.

Maybe more like realistic. As a young buck I was big into cars and racing for a while, and when I marveled to my father about an old mechanic friend who waved his magic wrench and effortlessly solved and engine problem that had me stumped, Dad told me, "When a man has spent his life under a car hood, he ought to know something about engines."

That, and these long winded posts are really just my way of putting off further demonstration of my lack of plumbing and carpentry skills.
Rick

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu May 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Redbeard wrote:Good thread. Good advice Rick

Such a good thread it'll actually be short lived. Theres really nothing to argue about.

Still waiting for a copy of that book Rick.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

I started killing more ducks when I started calling less. If they will glide in to die, I let them.
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:00 pm

That part hasn't been argued, as said before, you're just letting the ducks decide if they like your decoy spread. Knowing how to read birds, and being able to hammer them hard with a call when needed, will put more birds in the bag.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby assateague » Thu May 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Lack of killing a pintail aside, between posts like this and threads about calls, I often feel like I don't even hunt ducks. Sometimes I wish I did hunt in a place where calling was necessary, and where I could "get into" duck calls more. But I don't, and I guess I should be thankful for that. Between buffies, brant, geese, blacks, and the occasional wigeon, I just don't have a need. I enjoy reading stuff like this, though, but I should be thankful that it's just that much less to worry about, I suppose. I'm content to hunt where and how I do, but sometimes I feel like I'm missing out.
assateague

Postby Woody » Thu May 01, 2014 3:58 pm

assateague wrote:Lack of killing a pintail aside, between posts like this and threads about calls, I often feel like I don't even hunt ducks. Sometimes I wish I did hunt in a place where calling was necessary, and where I could "get into" duck calls more. But I don't, and I guess I should be thankful for that. Between buffies, brant, geese, blacks, and the occasional wigeon, I just don't have a need. I enjoy reading stuff like this, though, but I should be thankful that it's just that much less to worry about, I suppose. I'm content to hunt where and how I do, but sometimes I feel like I'm missing out.

Sounds like Assa is on the "X"
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby rebelp74 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Woody wrote:
assateague wrote:Lack of killing a pintail aside, between posts like this and threads about calls, I often feel like I don't even hunt ducks. Sometimes I wish I did hunt in a place where calling was necessary, and where I could "get into" duck calls more. But I don't, and I guess I should be thankful for that. Between buffies, brant, geese, blacks, and the occasional wigeon, I just don't have a need. I enjoy reading stuff like this, though, but I should be thankful that it's just that much less to worry about, I suppose. I'm content to hunt where and how I do, but sometimes I feel like I'm missing out.

Or that there aren't any mallards where he hunts, hence the point that mallard calls don't work. I know that in south east la and on the texas coast that all mallard calls do is scare birds. Reason being there are no mallards in the area, so the only place that sound is coming from is a person.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 01, 2014 4:03 pm

jarbo03 wrote:That part hasn't been argued, as said before, you're just letting the ducks decide if they like your decoy spread. Knowing how to read birds, and being able to hammer them hard with a call when needed, will put more birds in the bag.

No argument on your post Jarbo. And if they like my spread and want to come in to die, I am happy to STFU and oblige them.

Reading ducks takes a long time to learn. We are at different phases of our skill sets. I work at my calling, but I am not a Jarbo or a Rick Hall yet. So in my world, less calling, or hopefully calling at the proper time, has been a good thing for me.
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:05 pm

I like that I shoot mostly gadwall and mallards, mistly because of how vocal they are and like to communicate. Canada geese are the same way.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby assateague » Thu May 01, 2014 4:07 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Woody wrote:

Or that there aren't any mallards where he hunts, hence the point that mallard calls don't work. I know that in south east la and on the texas coast that all mallard calls do is scare birds. Reason being there are no mallards in the area, so the only place that sound is coming from is a person.

This. I have a call, and occasionally blow it at black ducks. Occasionally they listen, but it's mostly just for my amusement. And a $4 whistle will never be as glamorous as a "real" duck call, no matter how hard Boot tries.
assateague

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu May 01, 2014 4:11 pm

assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Woody wrote:

This. I have a call, and occasionally blow it at black ducks. Occasionally they listen, but it's mostly just for my amusement. And a $4 whistle will never be as glamorous as a "real" duck call, no matter how hard Boot tries.

Make no mistake I have plenty of (real duck calls) :lol:
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu May 01, 2014 7:11 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I like that I shoot mostly gadwall and mallards, mistly because of how vocal they are and like to communicate. Canada geese are the same way.

I got into some gadwall 2 times last season, and they are right up there with mallards. Tons of fun to work, and they seemed to be slightly dumber.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu May 01, 2014 7:43 pm

I suppose by later in the season a call would help for Mallards here but by that time I'm already into the divers.

Rick, do you ever use a teal call? I don't use one to work them but I will hit it every now and then just to put it out there. Seems like once they see your spread they will at minimum bomb through it and more often then not crash land in the middle of it.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Have seen a high squeal from a dr-85 turn many flocks of teal back to the decoys. Around here seems call are more useful on the river than a marsh when it comes to teal.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:I like that I shoot mostly gadwall and mallards, mistly because of how vocal they are and like to communicate. Canada geese are the same way.

I got into some gadwall 2 times last season, and they are right up there with mallards. Tons of fun to work, and they seemed to be slightly dumber.

We had them working pretty good this morning.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398996982.446745.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398997129.285223.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tomkat

Next

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum