Water swatting

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: Water swatting

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:37 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
sws002 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:[quote="Redbeard"][quote="Eric Haynes"]I love being outdoors, but a blanket statement like that quote is bullshit in my eyes. I can assure you that when I get my hunting done in 20 minutes, that just gives me time to do other outdoors things. I'm very rarely ever in my house. I don't even have cable.
so when you have a bad day hunting, does it piss you off thinking of all the other fun stuff you could've done or money you could've made?

Unfortunately, sometimes. Never with duck hunting because it never lass more than 4-5 hours, but during spring snows I get a little antsy thinking about shit I could be getting done around the house.

Some of my favorite hunts were from days that we spent all day in the blind, sunup to sundown. Shot a few birds, but had more fun shooting the shit with friends. NCH was a great example, ton of guys and we only shot a handful of birds but we all had a great time. Would do it again in a heartbeat, even if I knew ahead of time that the hunting might be tough.

True, but do you complain about the really good days?

Exactly what I'm trying to say. To say you'd rather spend 12 hours to get a couple birds vs. Getting a full bag in 20 minutes is something I can't comprehend.[/quote]this I won't deny. I've had a few of those 10-20 min limit days and enjoyed the hell out of the fast and furious shooting. But to be honest if given the choice, I'd rather shoot my limit in two hours, as opposed to 20 min. Granted, we don't have the numbers here to pass on birds to stretch out the limit time, so i shoot what comes in, when it comes in, long as it ain't one of QH's bills. I just don't like the rush. I like to eat my snacks. Finish my coffee. Smoke my pipe. Take a good shit in the trees. All while still hunting. Just the way I like it.[/quote]

Indeed. All of my public hunts last around 2-3 hours. I was just debating the extremes. Too me, a hunt from sunrise to sunset has zero appeal .
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:40 pm

For me a hunt from sunrise to sunset ain't happening unless it's spring snows and only if they're flying/working decent that day.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
sws002 wrote:[quote="Eric Haynes"][quote="Redbeard"][quote="Eric Haynes"]I love being outdoors, but a blanket statement like that quote is bullshit in my eyes. I can assure you that when I get my hunting done in 20 minutes, that just gives me time to do other outdoors things. I'm very rarely ever in my house. I don't even have cable.
so when you have a bad day hunting, does it piss you off thinking of all the other fun stuff you could've done or money you could've made?

Unfortunately, sometimes. Never with duck hunting because it never lass more than 4-5 hours, but during spring snows I get a little antsy thinking about shit I could be getting done around the house.

Some of my favorite hunts were from days that we spent all day in the blind, sunup to sundown. Shot a few birds, but had more fun shooting the shit with friends. NCH was a great example, ton of guys and we only shot a handful of birds but we all had a great time. Would do it again in a heartbeat, even if I knew ahead of time that the hunting might be tough.

Exactly what I'm trying to say. To say you'd rather spend 12 hours to get a couple birds vs. Getting a full bag in 20 minutes is something I can't comprehend.[/quote]this I won't deny. I've had a few of those 10-20 min limit days and enjoyed the hell out of the fast and furious shooting. But to be honest if given the choice, I'd rather shoot my limit in two hours, as opposed to 20 min. Granted, we don't have the numbers here to pass on birds to stretch out the limit time, so i shoot what comes in, when it comes in, long as it ain't one of QH's bills. I just don't like the rush. I like to eat my snacks. Finish my coffee. Smoke my pipe. Take a good shit in the trees. All while still hunting. Just the way I like it.[/quote]

Indeed. All of my public hunts last around 2-3 hours. I was just debating the extremes. Too me, a hunt from sunrise to sunset has zero appeal .[/quote]ill agree with that. Did it twice last brant season, cause the guy I was hunting with came out from CO and wanted a brant for the wall something fierce. We shot a few earlier each day but he wanted to get his money's worth
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
sws002 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:[quote="Redbeard"][quote="Eric Haynes"]I love being outdoors, but a blanket statement like that quote is bullshit in my eyes. I can assure you that when I get my hunting done in 20 minutes, that just gives me time to do other outdoors things. I'm very rarely ever in my house. I don't even have cable.

2 hours is not an option. Theory of medium.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:27 pm

Yep. You could almost feel the Theory saying "NOOOOOO!" As that was being typed.

And I don't get why, if a bird FLIES into my spread it's a "job well done", but if it SWIMS in, then my setup didn't do it's job. Stupid, really.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:37 pm

assateague wrote:Yep. You could almost feel the Theory saying "NOOOOOO!" As that was being typed.

And I don't get why, if a bird FLIES into my spread it's a "job well done", but if it SWIMS in, then my setup didn't do it's job. Stupid, really.

You should bring your .35 for the ones that swim in.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Regardless of how a bird comes into the decoys I will shoot. When by myself I will only shoot birds that finish in the decoys, more lenient when hunting with others. Have done many all day hunts, that means we are struggling to get our birds, but I have enjoyed 95% of them.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:Yep. You could almost feel the Theory saying "NOOOOOO!" As that was being typed.

You should bring your .35 for the ones that swim in.

Hunting with a .22 or .17 should be legal
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:58 pm

Days that takes you and a good friend sun up to sun down to get your limit are fun days. I love those hunts.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Duck the mornings, deer hunt the evenings. Fuck spending all day doing either.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Especially if your killing good birds here and there all day. The funny ass conversations I've been a part of sitting in a pond have been great. Some day I'm going to record our selves and make a million dollars selling that stuff. Alot of it is pure gold.:lol:
GadwallGetter530

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:23 pm

When my thermos is empty, I'm on borrowed time.
assateague

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:24 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Especially if your killing good birds here and there all day. The funny ass conversations I've been a part of sitting in a pond have been great. Some day I'm going to record our selves and make a million dollars selling that stuff. Alot of it is pure gold.:lol:

Silly made up duck hunting parody songs are the highlight of our blind. They get really good if a jar of corn liquor is brought into the mix. :lol:
clampdaddy

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Hey. You gotta do an all day sit by yourself a few times a season. I enjoy the hell out of it.
GadwallGetter530

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:34 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Hey. You gotta do an all day sit by yourself a few times a season. I enjoy the hell out of it.

Spent many days with my lab & britt napping on the dike of a marsh, waiting for afternoon flight.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:36 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Hey. You gotta do an all day sit by yourself a few times a season. I enjoy the hell out of it.

It's no fun yelling "mine!" when you're hunting by yourself.
clampdaddy

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Jarbo. It Shows you have heart.:D
Last edited by GadwallGetter530 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GadwallGetter530

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:38 pm

clampdaddy wrote:

I've had full on arguments with my dog on why we didn't a bird.:lol:
GadwallGetter530

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:40 pm

assateague wrote:When my thermos is empty, I'm on borrowed time.

Yup. I like to come home, make breakfast and take a nap in my chair. Thats all part of "the hunt" in my book.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:41 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Yup. I like to come home, make breakfast and take a nap in my chair. Thats all part of "the hunt" in my book.

Yeah. That's aweome too.
GadwallGetter530

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:54 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Damn straight.
assateague

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:17 pm

I was a "limits or last light" guy. Still do my far share of stick and stay hunts. But I do enjoy eggs Benedict and a very long nap.:lol:
GadwallGetter530

Postby waterfowlman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:33 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

My guess is the dog usually won most of them. :lol: :lol:
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:40 pm

waterfowlman wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Ha!
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:49 pm

waterfowlman wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Oh yeah.:lol:
GadwallGetter530

Postby 3200 Man » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:53 am

It all come down to , should I or Shouldn't I ? The weak minds go home and the absent minded stay ? I guess !
Clamps idea seems to work the best at passing time as long as the jar is big enough ? You can hear the singing
throughout the valley though but , I can't understand a word of it and it will soon be quiet as the jar empties ?
3200 Man

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:06 am

3200 Man wrote:It all come down to , should I or Shouldn't I ? The weak minds go home and the absent minded stay ? I guess !
Clamps idea seems to work the best at passing time as long as the jar is big enough ? You can hear the singing
throughout the valley though but , I can't understand a word of it and it will soon be quiet as the jar empties ?

Could you PM me a list of the drugs you are on from day to day?
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:08 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
3200 Man wrote:It all come down to , should I or Shouldn't I ? The weak minds go home and the absent minded stay ? I guess !

Marijuana and OxyContin
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby waterfowlman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:11 am

Eric Haynes wrote:

Aunt Betty has a new screen name.
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

PreviousNext

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum