Water swatting

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: Water swatting

Postby 3200 Man » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:11 am

There isn't a more majestic moment than when birds are locked-up ,feet down and are at the mercy of the shooter .
Taking the time to glorify yourself , with epic calling and cherishing the moment , is where it's at before you open-up
on these foolish birds by firing 3 quick shots with a inadequate pattern at 10 yds on the water . By giving these birds
a Sportsmans chance of landing , looking around and thinking , oh shit , and then killing as many (as you can) as they
try to get out of dodge seems to be more like Sporting ?

I wish I could wait that Long too !
3200 Man

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:00 am

3200 Man wrote:There isn't a more majestic moment than when birds are locked-up ,feet down and are at the mercy of the shooter .
Taking the time to glorify yourself , with epic calling and cherishing the moment , is where it's at before you open-up
on these foolish birds by firing 3 quick shots with a inadequate pattern at 10 yds on the water . By giving these birds
a Sportsmans chance of landing , looking around and thinking , oh shit , and then killing as many (as you can) as they

Define sporting for me.

I'd rather have the shoot of my life for 20 minutes than scratching out a couple ducks over 8 hours. Goes with the saying "A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work" Total bullshit. I'd rather spend a day at work making money than spending 12 hours on the water and not catching a damn thing. Guess I'm not as sporty as you are.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:09 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
3200 Man wrote:There isn't a more majestic moment than when birds are locked-up ,feet down and are at the mercy of the shooter .

Define sporting for me.

I'd rather have the shoot of my life for 20 minutes than scratching out a couple ducks over 8 hours. Goes with the saying "A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work" Total bullshit. I'd rather spend a day at work making money than spending 12 hours on the water and not catching a damn thing. Guess I'm not as sporty as you are.

Agreed, that said I'm not sitting in the blind for more than 4-5 hours, if ain't happened by then I don't really don't give a damn if it does. That said, during conservation snow goose season I'll stay in the blind all day if they're flying.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:04 am

Eric Haynes wrote:

Define sporting for me.

you're crazy. You'd rather be at work than at the lake on a nice summer day throwing back a few cold ones from your lawn chair, tossing sticks for your dogs, all while pretending to fish???
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:05 am

So with the exception of the shooting, y'all don't really enjoy being out there huh?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby RonE » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:13 am

Eric Haynes wrote:

Define sporting for me.

Obviously you don't drink beer and fish with friends. Red seems to get it. You are acting like a little kid in the backseat: "Are we there yet?"
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:31 am

RonE wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Define sporting for me.

Obviously you don't drink beer and fish with friends. Red seems to get it. You are acting like a little kid in the backseat: "Are we there yet?"

I fish from a boat and yes, I'd rather go to work than fish in a down pour rain for 12 hours without catching a damn thing, beers or no beers. No need to make this harder than it is, I was just pointing out that that is a dumb saying.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:40 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
RonE wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Define sporting for me.

I fish from a boat and yes, I'd rather go to work than fish in a down pour rain for 12 hours without catching a damn thing, beers or no beers. No need to make this harder than it is, I was just pointing out that that is a dumb saying.
ok well doing anything in a downpour is stupid. Except maybe sex. That could be fun. But I don't believe you Eric. I think you like being outdoors more than you admit. You're just hiding behind that realist persona facade of yours. But I don't know why
Redbeard

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:51 am

I'm with Eric on this, down pour or not, fuck fishing all day and not catching a damn thing when you could be making money.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:51 am

I love being outdoors, but a blanket statement like that quote is bullshit in my eyes. I can assure you that when I get my hunting done in 20 minutes, that just gives me time to do other outdoors things. I'm very rarely ever in my house. I don't even have cable.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:53 am

Eric Haynes wrote:I love being outdoors, but a blanket statement like that quote is bullshit in my eyes. I can assure you that when I get my hunting done in 20 minutes, that just gives me time to do other outdoors things. I'm very rarely ever in my house. I don't even have cable.

You should come out of the 1500's and join the rest of the world.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:02 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:I love being outdoors, but a blanket statement like that quote is bullshit in my eyes. I can assure you that when I get my hunting done in 20 minutes, that just gives me time to do other outdoors things. I'm very rarely ever in my house. I don't even have cable.

Hire a butler for me and I'll think about it.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

Hire a butler for me and I'll think about it.

Ninja please
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:03 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I'm with Eric on this, down pour or not, fuck fishing all day and not catching a damn thing when you could be making money.
well if I had a yacht to pay for I'd probably feel the same way
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Redbeard wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I'm with Eric on this, down pour or not, fuck fishing all day and not catching a damn thing when you could be making money.

Kids=Yacht.

You get one or the other.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Redbeard wrote:

If you felt the same you might have a yacht to pay for
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:06 pm

so when you have a bad day hunting, does it piss you off thinking of all the other fun stuff you could've done or money you could've made?
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Redbeard wrote:
so when you have a bad day hunting, does it piss you off thinking of all the other fun stuff you could've done or money you could've made?

Unfortunately, sometimes. Never with duck hunting because it never lass more than 4-5 hours, but during spring snows I get a little antsy thinking about shit I could be getting done around the house.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3200 Man » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Sorry Eric to have put you on the spot with all these loafing ,beer drinking unsuccessful duck hunters and fishermen ! :lol:

I will say , when the opportunity comes ( with my epic Calling ) I will shoot the crap out them coming in , landing on the
water , sitting harmless , spreading their wings with oh shit on their minds and trying to get away ( no matter how far they
are ) ,

That's what I mean by , Sporting , when I tell my hunting partners , Wait , Wait until you hear me shoot ! :lol: :fishing:
3200 Man

Postby 3200 Man » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:44 pm

OH ! and yes I do use 3 1/2" 1 1/2 oz of 4's ! I know those 10 yd sitting birds where there when I shot , as I lined the
beads on them but I just can't find them after shooting as all there is , is feathers in the water , where they got the hell
out'ta there , I guess ? :lol:
3200 Man

Postby sws002 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:04 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Unfortunately, sometimes. Never with duck hunting because it never lass more than 4-5 hours, but during spring snows I get a little antsy thinking about shit I could be getting done around the house.

Some of my favorite hunts were from days that we spent all day in the blind, sunup to sundown. Shot a few birds, but had more fun shooting the shit with friends. NCH was a great example, ton of guys and we only shot a handful of birds but we all had a great time. Would do it again in a heartbeat, even if I knew ahead of time that the hunting might be tough.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby one2many » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:43 pm

i dont feel that taking the life of an animal is a sport. football is a sport not killing things. and i would toss a brick of C4 into a swimming flock of ducks if i had to
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:59 pm

one2many wrote:

i dont feel that taking the life of an animal is a sport. football is a sport not killing things. and i would toss a brick of C4 into a swimming flock of ducks if i had to

Amen brother! Hunting isn't and, imo, will never be a sport.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:44 pm

sws002 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Some of my favorite hunts were from days that we spent all day in the blind, sunup to sundown. Shot a few birds, but had more fun shooting the shit with friends. NCH was a great example, ton of guys and we only shot a handful of birds but we all had a great time. Would do it again in a heartbeat, even if I knew ahead of time that the hunting might be tough.

True, but do you complain about the really good days?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby one2many » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:47 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
sws002 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

i do if its cold and raining.i must be part women cause i can bitch about most anything :?
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:48 pm

sws002 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Well said!
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby sws002 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:23 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
sws002 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Haha, believe it or not yes! Always bitch when the birds come in when I'm trying to eat my freshly cooked breakfast! It's like they fucking know!

But seriously, last season I started off on opening day getting wet on the walk in (2 am on public land), being underdressed and freezing my ass off because the temp dipped below freezing the first weekend of October and it was one of my favorite hunts. Granted we shot just a couple birds short of a 6 man limit, but we do a lot of hunting and rarely shoot a full group's limit and I still wouldn't trade it for a day at work. I work to live (hunt), not live to work.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:27 pm

sws002 wrote: I work to live (hunt), not live to work.

This
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:29 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
sws002 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Exactly what I'm trying to say. To say you'd rather spend 12 hours to get a couple birds vs. Getting a full bag in 20 minutes is something I can't comprehend.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
sws002 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:[quote="Eric Haynes"]I love being outdoors, but a blanket statement like that quote is bullshit in my eyes. I can assure you that when I get my hunting done in 20 minutes, that just gives me time to do other outdoors things. I'm very rarely ever in my house. I don't even have cable.

Exactly what I'm trying to say. To say you'd rather spend 12 hours to get a couple birds vs. Getting a full bag in 20 minutes is something I can't comprehend.[/quote]this I won't deny. I've had a few of those 10-20 min limit days and enjoyed the hell out of the fast and furious shooting. But to be honest if given the choice, I'd rather shoot my limit in two hours, as opposed to 20 min. Granted, we don't have the numbers here to pass on birds to stretch out the limit time, so i shoot what comes in, when it comes in, long as it ain't one of QH's bills. I just don't like the rush. I like to eat my snacks. Finish my coffee. Smoke my pipe. Take a good shit in the trees. All while still hunting. Just the way I like it.
Redbeard

PreviousNext

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum