Slow Start

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Slow Start

Postby Legband » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:10 am

Well we are off to a slow start this year.
It wasn't unexpected I must admit.
We had a good start yesterday and then it died.
My buddy in Susanville says due to no water the birds are just passing through 90% of the wetlands are dry.
So maybe we will get some early migrators.
8 Mallards yesterday but it was nice to see dark sky's this early.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Re: Slow Start

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:29 am

looks like a good day to me! here in indiana this morning was like a graveyard. No birds flying
IndianaMallard64

Postby Olly » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:42 am

I'd love to have that slow start. Good job!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Groundswat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Shooting mallards like that in Cali is pretty solid, usually they're the smiling variety.
Groundswat

Postby firstflight » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:05 am

IndianaMallard64 wrote:looks like a good day to me! here in indiana this morning was like a graveyard. No birds flying

Call my buddy he's got geese .
firstflight

Postby Deltaman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:33 am

May not have been the numbers you were looking for Joe, but at least they are Mallards :thumbsup: Congrats!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Heck of a lot better than my start to the season.
We killed one hen mallard...From the tender boat on open water.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:40 pm

I'm still sitting on a whopping zero for this season. :(
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:00 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:I'm still sitting on a whopping zero for this season. :(

Big surprise there...
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Image you and your "slow" Image start. It took me two Image weeks to shoot my first Image duck.

Just jealous. Hopefully things return to normal for everybody. I know my best days will rarely be better than a lot of guys on their worst days. It just really sucks this year, which seems to be a fairly common theme. I haven't seen that many mallards most days I've been out. We had cold, some snow, and a blasting north wind, I thought that would bring some birds and I'm actually pretty sure it did, but not many.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Lol spinner. Good shit right there.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:29 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:I'm still sitting on a whopping zero for this season. :(

Big surprise there...

Suck a dick Nuff.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Legband » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:53 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Image you and your "slow" Image start. It took me two Image weeks to shoot my first Image duck.

Just jealous. Hopefully things return to normal for everybody. I know my best days will rarely be better than a lot of guys on their worst days. It just really sucks this year, which seems to be a fairly common theme. I haven't seen that many mallards most days I've been out. We had cold, some snow, and a blasting north wind, I thought that would bring some birds and I'm actually pretty sure it did, but not many.

That's funny , no matter who you are , that's funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:02 am

It has been pretty good where I hunt as the local birds have been wise to the decoys , with a lot of caution they take
their time deciding if they want it or not ! With maybe 3 or 4 flights a day , that take the bait , You got'ta be ready !
Not many other birds , other than Mallards have been put on the strap , this year , where I hunt !

As the warmer weather has continued , water is going away fast for other places , so we should be having more birds
in our off and away places with water .
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:29 am

Still waiting on some fresh birds , maybe tomorrow.
Went out Monday morning for a short hunt.
Had a fair number of stale birds work the edge of the decoys but that's not my deal.
These three did it right , feet down center spread.
Made it worth going.
Two Gaddys
One Suzzie
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:53 am

At this point I am seriously worried about having a slow finish.

Pretty good chance today will be my last day duck hunting for the season. My season total is 1 mallard and 2 hooded mergansers. Perfect shooting wouldn't have added a lot to that. I've shot at birds a grand total of 5 different times so far this duck season :shock:

Early goose was good, let's hope late goose is as well because duck season was almost a bust.
SpinnerMan

Postby Legband » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:29 am

SpinnerMan wrote:At this point I am seriously worried about having a slow finish.

Pretty good chance today will be my last day duck hunting for the season. My season total is 1 mallard and 2 hooded mergansers. Perfect shooting wouldn't have added a lot to that. I've shot at birds a grand total of 5 different times so far this duck season :shock:

Early goose was good, let's hope late goose is as well because duck season was almost a bust.

How long is your season spinner ?
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 am

Legband wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:At this point I am seriously worried about having a slow finish.

60 days. There is another month. However, work all but ensures I will not get to hunt for over a week and it looks like we will be froze out where I hunt. Access around here requires a lot of effort and knowledge of the law and research property lines, or dealing with big water and draws. So once my club freezes out, I just start goose hunting. I may try some river hunting, we'll have to see what the weather is like.

I scratched out a gadwall this morning. We saw a decent number of birds and I'll bet the guys get some after I had to leave for work. It looks like it may finally start to pick up. My only possible day to hunt before the 22nd is Saturday and I'm not sure about that and I'm leaning towards archery if I can get out since I've seen some really nice bucks on the cameras. By the 22nd we will be froze out if the forecast holds. There is some warm weather forecasted after that so if the wind keeps the ice at bay for awhile, I may not be done, but right now it doesn't look good.
SpinnerMan

Postby Legband » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:12 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Legband wrote:

60 days. There is another month. However, work all but ensures I will not get to hunt for over a week and it looks like we will be froze out where I hunt. Access around here requires a lot of effort and knowledge of the law and research property lines, or dealing with big water and draws. So once my club freezes out, I just start goose hunting. I may try some river hunting, we'll have to see what the weather is like.

I scratched out a gadwall this morning. We saw a decent number of birds and I'll bet the guys get some after I had to leave for work. It looks like it may finally start to pick up. My only possible day to hunt before the 22nd is Saturday and I'm not sure about that and I'm leaning towards archery if I can get out since I've seen some really nice bucks on the cameras. By the 22nd we will be froze out if the forecast holds. There is some warm weather forecasted after that so if the wind keeps the ice at bay for awhile, I may not be done, but right now it doesn't look good.[/quote

I got ya.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Legband » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:20 pm

My gut was right about today.
3 guns 21 mallards and a honker.
5 of the first seven mallards were Susie's so we hened out early and had to shoot all green.
My bone head buddy left a near limit of birds at the blind and will have to go back.
So the pic is missing six I think.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:53 pm

You are right Legband , birds have pickup a bit in our area too ! We didn't shoot as many birds as you but we did end-up
with all green . Today with the storms up North and raining here , maybe the birds will be more relaxed this weekend and
work the decoys a little better . Big Geese are piling-up on the ranch (east )of where I hunt so this is a good sign . Snows in
the sky flying high along with a few groups of Specks......This could be the beginning of a Normal year , for us ?

3200 man
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:34 pm

My buddy and I had a good shoot today considering there were very few birds.
Slow but steady one to two birds every half hour or so.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Legband » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Birds Starting to trickle in.
I took two youngens today they had a blast but they couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a hand full of marbles.
I killed 6 and they killed two
We ended up knocking down 10 and picking up 8 and a goose.
They are great boys and we had a blast.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:28 am

I saw some high flying groups of Snows and Specks ( Sat. AM ) , thinking maybe the start of a normal year ?
Ducks ( locals ) are well conditioned to avoid the calling from some fellas screaming their heads off ( playing ? I don't know )
but a PITA ! I have to hunt at a different time of the day , from now on , to be successful......until pressure up North
pushes birds down my way !
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:54 pm

Back to just a few bunches need some fresh birds
Picked up a few on Saturday
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Nice man. Looks like youre having a pretty good season after all.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3200 Man » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:41 am

Legband wrote:Back to just a few bunches need some fresh birds

The bird on the far-left could be a Northerner ? maybe !

How many fellas did you shoot with Joe ?
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:51 am

3200 Man wrote:
Legband wrote:Back to just a few bunches need some fresh birds

The bird on the far-left could be a Northerner ? maybe !

How many fellas did you shoot with Joe ?

Yea he had his feet in some cold water some where . Lol

Early Season is mostly just me or me an one , a lot of my partners chase horns or are finishing the bass tournaments and the others are just finishing up harvest.
After thanks giving they get out a little more , although even then week days are hard for most of my crew.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:26 am

I understand what you're saying about weekday partners but , this gives us time to fine a way in controlling the birds ?
I enjoy changing things up abit , with out'ta the way places , that no one seems to want to hunt . With decoy setups ( some
close together and others spread-out as much as 50 / 60 yds in family / species groups . Scouting just before dark and
seeing or locating the Highways ( birds use ) is something you don't see on weekends as birds show you where they want
to go , rather than where they have to go !

Love'n it !

3200 man
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:01 pm

6 today 5-mallards 1-young bull sprig
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Next

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum