New to duck hunting

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

New to duck hunting

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:49 am

I'm new to duck hunting, I just started this year after wanting to for 3 years! I live in southern ga, and mostly all I know we have and that I've seen is wood ducks. I've got 12 decoys, and a mojo. We have the ogeechee to hunt, and I have wood duck calls. But it seems the only way I can kill a duck is shooting them as they fly by, either to roost or out to eat. I can't get the ducks to decoy in, I watch tons of tons of videos everyday trying to get th calling down but the ducks will fly by without even slowing down for the decoys or the call. If anyone has any tips, techniques, please let me know! I'm having to learn and teach myself by trial and error, and it's hard to find advice. Especially at 18, when all
Your friends shoot at any and everything!
Kerrywhite30

Re: New to duck hunting

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:22 am

Wood ducks have a mind of their own. If you aren't where they want to be you'll have a tough time getting them to decoy.
Check out the greenhorn forum on this site. There is a lot of info in there you might find helpful.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:14 pm

A wood duck call is basically to get their attention on their way to you. I've never turned a wood duck in flight with it.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Thank yall. I hear people say you can turn them in by doing a attention call, and then a comeback call. But I've had absolutely no luck, but thanks!
Kerrywhite30

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:25 pm

I'm not at all versed in wood duck calling terminology and don't know what the calls you mention are for them. But I do know that just simple, long, drawn out "sweeeeeet"s have turned an awful lot of them for us over the years. Not the wavering "Sweet, sweet, sweet." they do when flying. Just a long "sweeeeeet".
Rick

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 am

That's awesome! We've been doing short kinda calm wheeet, wheeeet, not fast like they do when flying, but it's almost as if they can't hear it
Kerrywhite30

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Kerrywhite30 wrote:I'm new to duck hunting, I just started this year after wanting to for 3 years! I live in southern ga, and mostly all I know we have and that I've seen is wood ducks. I've got 12 decoys, and a mojo. We have the ogeechee to hunt, and I have wood duck calls. But it seems the only way I can kill a duck is shooting them as they fly by, either to roost or out to eat. I can't get the ducks to decoy in, I watch tons of tons of videos everyday trying to get th calling down but the ducks will fly by without even slowing down for the decoys or the call. If anyone has any tips, techniques, please let me know! I'm having to learn and teach myself by trial and error, and it's hard to find advice. Especially at 18, when all
Your friends shoot at any and everything!

Where you live at in ga? If you got the Ogeechee then you're pretty close to the coast I assume. That's where I'd go if I were you.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:33 am

I live not even two minutes away from the ogeechee, and I've seen a ton of wood ducks on the river. But when you say coast
What do you mean? Like savannah river? Or tybee? And what's good about the coast?? SOrry if these are kinda dumb questions
Kerrywhite30

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:13 am

Kerrywhite30 wrote:I live not even two minutes away from the ogeechee, and I've seen a ton of wood ducks on the river. But when you say coast
What do you mean? Like savannah river? Or tybee? And what's good about the coast?? SOrry if these are kinda dumb questions

Got a friend who just moved to ssi and is slaying them out there. Widgeon, teal, black ducks, several species of divers. If I lived close enough I'd get out there. Some of the best hunting in the state. Woodies are a fickle bird. They're going where they're going. Some people say they have a spot in mind before they even leave the roost. If that's what you like though just do it. Woodies make for a fun shoot when they cooperate. There may be some method to it but I always just feel like i got lucky when woodies decoy.
Where do you live? I'm assuming somewhere between statesboro and savannah?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:57 am

Yea, I live in the middle between savannah and pembroke, and it's just hard to find someone who knows anytging about duck hunting, we all deer hunt, you can ask just about anyone about that, but as far as duck
Hunting no one has a clue. I have a boat, and everything I need, I just lack the knowledge, like Ive only ever seen
Wood ducks, and I don't know anything about the ducks at the coast or how to go about hunting them
Kerrywhite30

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum