Texas Coast Wood Ducks

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Texas Coast Wood Ducks

Postby lurejunkee » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Would a set of wood duck decoys be a good thing to own for Texas coast huntin?
lurejunkee

Re: Texas Coast Wood Ducks

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:33 am

Speaking from up the coast in SW Louisiana: only if you didn't have anything else. Even at the freshwater edge of our coastal marsh, woodies are a relatively rare species that will toll to more common ones, and wood duck decoys have such a high profile that they tend to slalom and/or flip in strong wind.
Rick

Postby lurejunkee » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:17 am

Rick wrote:Speaking from up the coast in SW Louisiana: only if you didn't have anything else. Even at the freshwater edge of our coastal marsh, woodies are a relatively rare species that will toll to more common ones, and wood duck decoys have such a high profile that they tend to slalom and/or flip in strong wind.

Ok. The reason I ask is because I found some at a local academy on sale for $8.99. Thought I'd pick some up. It'd be my first decoy purchase.
lurejunkee

Postby Olly » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Do you see a lot of wood ducks in your area?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby lurejunkee » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Olly wrote:Do you see a lot of wood ducks in your area?

I've never been. I'm trying to prepare for my first hunt.
lurejunkee

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:28 am

lurejunkee wrote:

I would go with someone a few times go get the feel! If you can't do that and really need your own decoys just get 3 dozen or so of the cheapest mallard decoys you can find. Often they are called "hot buys".

Most species of ducks will decoy to mallards.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby lurejunkee » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:07 am

Olly wrote:
lurejunkee wrote:

I would go with someone a few times go get the feel! If you can't do that and really need your own decoys just get 3 dozen or so of the cheapest mallard decoys you can find. Often they are called "hot buys".

Most species of ducks will decoy to mallards.

Thanks Olly. The only guy I personally know that hunts charges like $300-$400 for a morning hunt. I'm not gonna do that, I can't afford that right now with school and all. I've hunted since I was 10 so I figured I can learn what I can for now. I've been puttin this off for several years because I really don't know anyone. My son and my girlfriend also want to go so I can't fork out $900 for just a morning hunt.

I will def look at finding some mallard decoys and add them to purchase list. I just thought about the woodies cause they were so cheap. I truly appreciate the insight guys. This is going to be a long road ahead but I'm going to try my best to see what I can do.
lurejunkee

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum