Learning birds.

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: Learning birds.

Postby team216 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Ducks unlimited has an app that had a waterfowl id chart(i think its free if you're a member) (maybe its a dollar) if you want to go the electronic route. I use to have Bob Hines ducks at a distance. But over the years it was ruined by all the wetness. I know there are many small pocket id books with the help of amazon you can have it to your door in a day or too. I would recommend a book or a really good waterproof case for your phone. Books are cheaper
team216

Postby Goldfish » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:16 pm

Du and delta waterfowl both have trivia/bird I'd stuff on their website. Also ducks at a distance is available online to look over. But you are already doing the best thing and that's watching live birds
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:48 pm

You don't have to call to match the bird in the air. If you stare down whatever it is to ID it you may hesitate to long. Almost all birds respond to a mallard. IDing on the wing is a good skill to have and comes over time.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum