Hunting in the rain tips

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: Hunting in the rain tips

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:02 pm

I have a fairly simple rule for hunting this time of year.

Light to no wind - archery hunt deer

Windy - hunt ducks and geese

Rain - catch up on sleep :thumbsup:

:mrgreen:

Other than the obvious, make sure you stay dry, I wouldn't imagine you really need to change anything else.
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Ducks will fly in the rain, especially if the rain storm has some wind associated with it. It's the lightning you have to be sure to avoid. Winter storms typically do not have much lightning in comparison to a Spring or Summer storm. A quality rain suit is worth it's weight in gold, and preferably one that has suspenders on the bottom to make sure your ass stays dry. Oh yeah, a bought lesson from days of youth...........do not put your gun back in the case wet :o
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:22 pm

In our part of the country, rain is about the surest of duck motivators, moving them to feed. Geese, on the other hand, try to sit it out.
Rick

Postby Bud » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:06 pm

Good luck with your hunt. Good advice so far. Hope for some wind to move the decoys, keep that wind to your back if possible, and cover those faces if you plan to look at the birds. Be still as a rock, and pick out one bird. Once you master that, you're well on your way. Skeeters? bring skeeter control. Spare clothing helps back at the boat or whatever. Ziploc baggies work great for the shells. Share a picture of your ducks if you can.

Our best hunts are in the wind and rain.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Ilovemyjeep wrote:Well it was a bust. Didnt get to go because of the storms, it was too heavy. Will have to wait till the 21st till i can go out again. Oh well, i guess thats just part of it!

T-storms will push ducks out of the area and they don't come back. (at least where I hunt that is how it works)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:27 am

I much prefer to hunt in snowfall. Ducks are moving and you stay dryer.
Tomkat

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:05 am

Tomkat wrote:I much prefer to hunt in snowfall. Ducks are moving and you stay dryer.

Hunting in the snow is my absolute favorite.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:57 am

Hunt park ducks in the woods and you just need some wonder bread.
If it's raining you wonder where the ducks went. :scooter:
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:47 pm

aunt betty wrote:Hunt park ducks in the woods and you just need some wonder bread.
If it's raining you wonder where the ducks went. :scooter:

To da rice.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:34 am

If there is a cold front associated with a low pressure system coming thru I WILL sit thru the hot-side of the storm. When you get to the back-side of the storm the weather can go from 50 to 30 or below like in minutes. I will sit thru that kind of storm EVERY time. Getting the boat out of the lake can get tricky and getting it down that road (route 54) can be treacherous. (4x4 required)
Once I get to Farmer City I've made it but again, that road to Farmer City can get bad bad bad.
There is only one Farmer City in the entire world so y'all can figure out what lake.
(don't forget your site permit, must be displayed in the truck window)
aunt betty

Postby Bad17 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:27 pm

aunt betty wrote:If there is a cold front associated with a low pressure system coming thru I WILL sit thru the hot-side of the storm. When you get to the back-side of the storm the weather can go from 50 to 30 or below like in minutes. I will sit thru that kind of storm EVERY time. Getting the boat out of the lake can get tricky and getting it down that road (route 54) can be treacherous. (4x4 required)
Once I get to Farmer City I've made it but again, that road to Farmer City can get bad bad bad.
There is only one Farmer City in the entire world so y'all can figure out what lake.
(don't forget your site permit, must be displayed in the truck window)

I haven't hunted that lake in over 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum