Motion?

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: Motion?

Postby team216 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:12 pm

It doesn't get much cheaper or simpler than a good ol jerk rig. I would start with that. Those are things have their place. But you can't go wrong with a simple tool that has worked for ages
team216

Postby DukMan » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:27 pm

I built my own pulsators for $35 bucks ... They work incredibly well... I'll throw some pics up later but they are just a couple butts with bilge pumps with curved pvc pipe screwed to the bottom, lamp cord going to a waterproof box with a 12v rechargeable battery and heavy duty flasher unit which acts as the anchor ... Works better than i thought
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby Olly » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:25 am

I also have made the standard bilge pump decoy. Works great!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Throbbin Rods » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:28 am

Be creative. We have a super magnum goose shell mounted to the frame of a R/C Hummer. Just tapping the remote when the birds are working can be very effective. Paid $4 for the Hummer at a yard sale. I once had a R/C boat with a decoy placed over the top of it. Wore it out and looking for another R/C boat that isn't a go fast.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Steele22 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:52 am

Throbbin Rods wrote:Be creative. We have a super magnum goose shell mounted to the frame of a R/C Hummer. Just tapping the remote when the birds are working can be very effective. Paid $4 for the Hummer at a yard sale. I once had a R/C boat with a decoy placed over the top of it. Wore it out and looking for another R/C boat that isn't a go fast.

Good ideas, very nice thinking
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Mojo with jerk-rig working right under or next to it. Quack like mad with CCC throwback...
Sucks em right to the ripples and mojo. Turn it off with remote.

HAMMER TIME!!!
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Electric or wind powered decoys are now illegal in Arkansas (again).
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:48 pm

aunt betty wrote:Electric or wind powered decoys are now illegal in Arkansas (again).

Not just on Arkansas' public land?
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:02 am

Duck Engr wrote:Just on public land

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm good with that. Couple years ago a group of guys had two or three cyclones, half-dozen swimmers, and various other electronic ducks. It was bizarre. I'd like to see things go back to nearly normal myself. Funny but the kids who use the circus of spinners are the ones who complain the most and loudest.
aunt betty

Postby Throbbin Rods » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:32 am

Newest motion setup I have is the battery powered swimming mallard drake that Karen bought me for Christmas. I used it with a weight and anchor line a couple of times, then had a brain storm. I got a couple lengths of 1/2" threaded rod, put molded T handles on the end of each r, hose clamped a fly reel to one end of one rod just under the T Handle, spooled on about 60' of flyline. I jam one rod into the bottom, then pull out line until I like it, make a loop and tighten it on the far rod. Then loop the line around the rod with the reel on it. 2 large snap swivels on the bottom of the duck, One clipped to the duck and one clipped to the line. Duck swims back and forth, to me more life like than around in circles.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:13 am

Good idea. One of the most effective motion devices I've used was a continuous loop of 400# test mono from the blind and through two eye bolts on stakes about 30' apart with two decoys on droppers between them. Pull on one side of the loop, and they swam to the eye-bolt on that end. Pull the other side, and they swam back the other way. Helped kill enough mottled (our black) ducks to have six banded one year.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:06 pm

I sit in my boat blind with a canoe paddle. By twisting it back and forth I can make a decoy spread come to life. It's work but what about duck hunting isn't? Sometimes I forget all the gimmicks and just go with the paddle.
aunt betty

Postby slowshooter » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:11 pm

I've used a pulsator, dippy duck, a swim fin, once I roped a sealed plastic jug to an eylet and would let it bob up then would pull it down. Ripples for miles. They all seem to work pretty well. I have a soft spot for a dippy duck though.
slowshooter

Location: San Jose. In California, which is the 7th largest economy on the planet. Bitches. :-D

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum