How do they....

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

How do they....

Postby don novicki » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 am

Just for chits and giggles I was looking at Grey Bruce Outfitters in Ontario as to their hunts and I noticed that Ontario has dropped the Black duck limit to 1 daily. How is it that here in the states, where there are way more hunters we are afforded 2 birds per day. From my understanding, the black duck is in serious decline but we up the limit? Does the USFWS have any clue as to whats going on? Blackie has been in decline for years so we up the limit? I don't understand...... :?:
don novicki

Re: How do they....

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:30 am

don novicki wrote:Just for chits and giggles I was looking at Grey Bruce Outfitters in Ontario as to their hunts and I noticed that Ontario has dropped the Black duck limit to 1 daily. How is it that here in the states, where there are way more hunters we are afforded 2 birds per day. From my understanding, the black duck is in serious decline but we up the limit? Does the USFWS have any clue as to whats going on? Blackie has been in decline for years so we up the limit? I don't understand...... :?:
I dunno Don but it sure is tempting to make up something about Black Ducks Matter or something like that.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby don novicki » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:32 pm

I LMAO when I read that.....
don novicki

Postby Lreynolds » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:27 pm

The Black Duck Adaptive Harvest Management Working Group has prepared a communication document to answer those exact questions. One place to read what they have to say is at: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2017 ... 8flyer.pdf

Individual states and Canadian Provinces can set regulations however they see fit as long as they are no more liberal than prescribed by the Black Duck Harvest Management Strategy, which is an internationally agreed-upon document. I have no clue why Ontario has set a daily bag limit of 1 for black ducks, but Louisiana kept the bag limit at 1 out of concern for local mottled ducks. We have enough coastal hunters trying to pass off a second mottled duck as a black duck.
Lreynolds

Postby Deltaman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:56 pm

I thought it was 1 everywhere except around Maryland where they are more plentiful.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Deltaman wrote:I thought it was 1 everywhere except around Maryland where they are more plentiful.

Nope, they bumped ours up to 2.

The basic daily bag limit shall be 6 ducks of any species including all teal species, (except mergansers); however, no more than 4 shall be mallards (no more than 2 hen mallards) and not more than 3 wood ducks, 3 scaup, 2 redheads, 2 canvasbacks, 2 black ducks, and not more than 1 pintail and 1 mottled duck.

Can't wait. Especially since I have shot exactly 2 black ducks in Illinois :lol:

We actually saw a fair number of black ducks last winter mixed in with the mallards, but as a group we only managed 1. Although everyone in the blind shot it :oops: (I don't count that as 1 of the 2)
SpinnerMan

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum