Hunting Method Question

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: Hunting Method Question

Postby don novicki » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:34 am

Yes to both questions but believe me when I tell you it's harder than he.. to sneak up on a duck. Try it you'll see......
don novicki

Postby DukMan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 pm

Jump shooting is legal in my state some people do it... but I get more enjoyment out of scouting, placing decoys, using my calls, and getting birds feet down in my spread. Just walking up and shooting them isn’t fun for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:12 am

DukMan wrote:Jump shooting is legal in my state some people do it... but I get more enjoyment out of scouting, placing decoys, using my calls, and getting birds feet down in my spread. Just walking up and shooting them isn’t fun for me...

I guess you don't hunt pheasants or grouse or bunnies. I always enjoyed it and for the same reasons I enjoyed jump shooting other game. I actually miss being able to do it. I was probably the only kid that lost weight when they went home from college for Thanksgiving because me and the dog would walk miles of shoreline jump shooting ducks. My oddest bag was a black duck and a ruffed grouse. Probably the only guy you know that has shot a ruffed grouse with #2 steel :shock:

It's a whole lot more than walking up and shooting them. It takes a well trained dog to walk quietly at heal while you sneak along the shoreline and try to get close enough to the ducks before they jump.

While I like decoying a lot more, when things are slow it's a lot more enjoyable, not too mention getting to enjoy the miles of shoreline and all you see.

trap333 wrote:He said that's when you drive around scouting, find birds, then park and sneak up on them.

Get out and walk and think about how you will retrieve the birds. Without a dog, are you going to be able to recover them where you jump them. Driving around sounds like missing out on what makes jump shooting enjoyable for me. Also be careful on the laws about road hunting in your state. Jump shooting is a great way to spend a day, but that's because you are out in environment enjoying it. You might cross paths with other game as well which you can shoot if you follow the laws for that. Nothing precludes shooting pheasants with steel shot, just need to have the legally required orange.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Binoculars or spotting scope.
Over-pass.
Borrow pit.
8-)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Throbbin Rods » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 am

I have hunted ducks in a canoe for 35 years. Small meandering rivers away from houses. Two guys, man in front shoots, man in back paddles. Paddle close to shore to break up your outline. Hug corners tight and as you round the corner you will often catch ducks napping or eating. It is one of the best hunting methods I use. There are 3 or 4 places that I hit a couple times a year and always see ducks. You learn to paddle silently, have absolute control of the canoe and how to hug the bank without dragging bottom. I am more than willing to discuss in detail if you want to PM a phone number.
Throbbin Rods
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum