Shot Size Question

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: Shot Size Question

Postby don novicki » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:35 am

A lot of guys use #2 shot for both with good results provided you are getting the geese in close. I have brought Canada's down with #3 shot but it's not my preferred shot size at all. You can buy a case of shot for under 100.00 dollars with free shipping form Rogers or Reed's usually before the season starts. :thumbsup:
don novicki

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 am

If you shop at farm stores like BIG R or Rural King...Farm and Fleet you'll find that they have steel marked down in June or July. If you're on a budget just pick the 2.75" version. Usually around ten bucks a box.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DukMan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 pm

Kent faststeel 3” #2’s ... kills everything and quality load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:50 am

trap333 wrote:As I've said in a few previous posts I'm new to waterfowl hunting. My next question is this. With money being a little tight, is there a shot size and load that can be used for both ducks and Canada geese? I can't afford 3 or 4 different loads for different situations. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Two boxes of shells, if you can't afford them, you can't afford to hunt waterfowl.

#2's for ducks and if you happen to have geese come it will kill them.

BB's when you are hunting big resident geese, especially late season and if you happen to have ducks come in it will kill them.

If you are hunting a lot of small ducks, maybe make the first ones #3's, but now you are getting a little too light for geese, but if you let them get close and shoot them in the head and neck, it will do the job. Nobody hunts turkey's with BB.

If I had to go with just two loads, it would be a box of #3's for early season when I'm hunting wood ducks zipping by at mock 3 and BB's when I go for mallards and geese later in the season or specifically target geese in early season.
SpinnerMan

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum