What species do you take the most?

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: What species do you take the most?

Postby capt1972 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Olly wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
I dont see what y'all think is so hard about shooting divers. Put out a group of blocks in a line and shoot them when they fly in. Easy!??!

It's because they have to go out in the big scary water in their little tiny boats.

Sent from your honey hole.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Or it might just be competing with HUGE rafts of ducks that give you one chance. It's an easier kill shooting a duck in the belly than it is shooting down on his back.

Divers give you one chance. dabblers circle and circle and circle and circle and........
duckkillerclyde

Postby Olly » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:18 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:Or it might just be competing with HUGE rafts of ducks that give you one chance. It's an easier kill shooting a duck in the belly than it is shooting down on his back.

Divers give you one chance. dabblers circle and circle and circle and circle and........

I've never been serious diver hunting. It actually looks like a lot of fun. Only popped the ones that come in from the more open water and wanna be puddle ducks for a bit.

Sent from your honey hole.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Buffleheads, buffleheads, and buffleheads. It would be black ducks if I was allowed more than one. I could probably fill a limit of black ducks in 45 minutes fairly regular. But nooooooo, they're special.
assateague

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Mallards and GWT for me. I've only killed 2 divers. And they were ringnecks at that…
River Ramblin' Man

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:13 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:Mallards and GWT for me. I've only killed 2 divers. And they were ringnecks at that…

Hey! I'd rather shoot ringnecks over Mallards any day, in fact, I do. We get a lot of ringers and teal in the early season, then stuck with Mallards for the rest. Typical puddler bag for late season here is Wigeon, Black, Mallard and occaisional Gaddy
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:19 pm

sometimes it's coot

duckkillerclyde

Postby DC727 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:32 pm

assateague wrote:Buffleheads, buffleheads, and buffleheads. It would be black ducks if I was allowed more than one. I could probably fill a limit of black ducks in 45 minutes fairly regular. But nooooooo, they're special.

I want an eastern shore black, bad.

Our top three is
1.wood duck
2. Gwt
3. Bufflehead
NuffDaddy wrote:Nigga ran that back like he had my VCR
DC727

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Split-tails
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:27 pm

You ain't gots to lie Craig, you ain't gots to lie.
Westie25

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
River Ramblin' Man wrote:Mallards and GWT for me. I've only killed 2 divers. And they were ringnecks at that…

Hey! I'd rather shoot ringnecks over Mallards any day, in fact, I do. We get a lot of ringers and teal in the early season, then stuck with Mallards for the rest. Typical puddler bag for late season here is Wigeon, Black, Mallard and occaisional Gaddy

I don't have anything against em. I'd say they're a bit harder to clean than mallards though. IMO anyway.
River Ramblin' Man

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:58 am

I shoot a mixed bag until late in the season, then it is mainly mallards. Out of the ducks I shoot more gaddys than anything. The Canada goose is what I kill more of than anything.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 am

This last season I shot mostly sprigs. It sucked, because we can only shoot two. Basicly all that would come in was sprigs. So other than 5 days in october where we basicly shot limits every day, we ony shot 3 birds a day, sometimes 4. 2 of which were sprig almost every hunt.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby bigcheese » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:56 am

Teal for me too.

Josh
bigcheese

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:06 am

bigcheese wrote:Teal for me too.

Josh

Good to see you made it. Maybe we can get Olly to make you an archery forum so you can show off your long bows and self bows you've been turning out.
QH's Paw

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:04 am

Early season we shoot mostly mallards and teal. As the season progresses we'll get into the gaddies and widgeon much much more. I didn't shoot enough sprig last year to be content. Hopefully I can change that this year with the addition of my scull boat. Hopefully my diver numbers will be up also with the scull boat
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Redbeard wrote:Early season we shoot mostly mallards and teal. As the season progresses we'll get into the gaddies and widgeon much much more. I didn't shoot enough sprig last year to be content. Hopefully I can change that this year with the addition of my scull boat. Hopefully my diver numbers will be up also with the scull boat

I can turn you loose on the big lake so you can scull on the large rafts of divers.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby blackrhino » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Mainly Wooducks and BWT. After that its a very mixed bag. FL Mallards, Blackbelly Whistlers, Gadwalls, a few of most anything. But almost never a Greenhead. I may have shot 4 or 5 in all my years hunting down here.
blackrhino

Postby Tiler_J » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:44 pm

We get gaddies more than anything else. Spoonies and bufflehead would probably be our top two ducks, but we try to shoot spoonies only on slow days and we don't shoot buffies.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:35 am

You should shoot buffies. Not saying you're a "bad guy" or anything like that- I've found people don't shoot buffies for one of two reasons- the taste, or the size. If it's the former, soak them in buttermilk. Works for buffies, brant, and probably mergs, but I've never shot one. I find that most of the people who mention how small they are have no problem shooting teal, even though they're the same size, and buffies are every bit as fun to shoot as teal. Just my opinion.
assateague

Postby Baysider » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:38 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:This last season I shot mostly sprigs. It sucked, because we can only shoot two. Basicly all that would come in was sprigs. So other than 5 days in october where we basicly shot limits every day, we ony shot 3 birds a day, sometimes 4. 2 of which were sprig almost every hunt.

I feel sorry for you. :lol: Try our one black duck limit days for a while.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 am

No kidding. Especially when they come in in flocks of 25. Makes me sick.
assateague

Postby Baysider » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 am

I hear you man. I had an invite from a guy I had taken a few times. Seemed our schedules never worked out. One day last year he called and said he had this spot on the marsh where a couple hundred ducks were going each day. He swore it wasnt baited and that it had been used many times over the years. I had to see for myself. So we went and in 5 minutes we had our black ducks. We spent the rest of the falling tide watching as groups of 10-20 blacks poured into the hole we were in. Never saw another spieces and we must have scared 250-300 up when we couldnt take it anymore. Pretty sight but it didnt do any good for my itchy trigger finger or the freezer.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:27 pm

assateague wrote:You should shoot buffies. Not saying you're a "bad guy" or anything like that- I've found people don't shoot buffies for one of two reasons- the taste, or the size. If it's the former, soak them in buttermilk. Works for buffies, brant, and probably mergs, but I've never shot one. I find that most of the people who mention how small they are have no problem shooting teal, even though they're the same size, and buffies are every bit as fun to shoot as teal. Just my opinion.

I do shoot them sometimes when there is nothing else flying, but I try not to. They are fun to shoot and the dumbest duck I have ever seen. I don't like to shoot them because I usually breast out my little birds to make jerky sticks. The skin on the buffies is so hard to get off of the breast meat, I usually end up with a torn up breast when I am done. So basically I don't shoot them because they are a pain in the neck to clean. Plus they are fun to watch and will land right next to our blinds and swim around. So buffies usually get a pass.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:12 pm

They are comical looking little things.
assateague

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Yeah, they are funny little ducks. A few years ago my buddy and I decided to start shooting them after a few hours of nothing else flying. We shot the first one, as my buddy was walking out to get it another group came in and tried to land with the dead one. We shot a couple more out of that group. We picked up our birds and walked back to the blind. After a few minutes of watching buffies fly by out of range, I picked up one of the dead ones and threw it into the pond about 10 feet away from us. That was all it took, finished off our limits with birds trying to land right in front of us. Even when we missed they would usually fly back by and try to land again. They are so dumb. I just hate to clean them, but they can be some fun when there is nothing else flying.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby duck jerky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Shovelers last year. Most years it's either mallards or Gadwalls or ringers.
duck jerky

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:18 pm

GWT
Sprig
Spoons
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:25 am

It changes season to season for me:
But last season I think it went down like this.

1.Gadwall
2.Greenwings
3. Mallard
4. Wegion
5.Spoons
6.Sprig
7.cinnamon teal
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby assateague » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 am

#4 must be how they pronounce it south of the border.
assateague

PreviousNext

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum