Best moving decoy?

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Best moving decoy?

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:19 am

Stole this topic from the fuge.
This will get resolved quickly and we will reach immediate consensus. :qh:
:lol:
I've used mostly flambeau because it's what the store had. Had the old flat ones from the 70s and still have some. I got some from the 80s and compared. I may be off by ten years...lol 80s and 90s.
I'm talking water keels. Walk in hunting.
The taller decoys from the 90s? move better than anything I've used. They're light and tall and catch any little breeze. I've got new flambeaus and they're OK but I quit using them. Higdon now. They're big and don't move a lot.
Rick says cut your keels off.
I'm not so sure.
:mrgreen:
Ricky Spanish

Re: Best moving decoy?

Postby Anotherone » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:00 am

1’ of monofilament with a #10 cricket hook and a fresh cricket. Bluegill eats cricket, gets hooked then swims around while moving decoy, lol. Funny but seen this happen as a joke once with a 2 lb choupique. It drug the decoy all amongst the others until we had a tangled shit show.
Anotherone

Postby PorkChop » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:01 am

Couldn’t tell you for ducks. This last season I did use those lucky duck butts that are pretty much just that quiver magnet in the duck butt and I really liked those. I don’t use any swimming Decoys. Typically wind is not a problem in North Dakota so usually you have that motion. For my field spread sometimes I use spinners sometimes I don’t. At this point in the game I don’t see them being a game changer like they used to be.

For big honkers motion is very overrated. A little flagging is all you need and you really don’t even need that. Lessers move around more but once again flagging is all you need.
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:20 am

PorkChop wrote:Couldn’t tell you for ducks. This last season I did use those lucky duck butts that are pretty much just that quiver magnet in the duck butt and I really liked those. I don’t use any swimming Decoys. Typically wind is not a problem in North Dakota so usually you have that motion. For my field spread sometimes I use spinners sometimes I don’t. At this point in the game I don’t see them being a game changer like they used to be.

For big honkers motion is very overrated. A little flagging is all you need and you really don’t even need that. Lessers move around more but once again flagging is all you need.

I've scouted the area hard and the only Canada geese around live there at the Dell power plant.
They're protected by a fence or I'd... :lol:
Geese don't use the woods.
I used to be insistent that them tall flambeaus were the shit. Now everyone there uses Dakotas pretty much. Ducks man...ducks. ;)
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:45 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:Geese don't use the woods.
)

If you would like to bet a nice brand new crisp $100 bill on it we can
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:55 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:Geese don't use the woods.
)

If you would like to bet a nice brand new crisp $100 bill on it we can

If you can kill a Canada goose at big lake wma during their legal season I'll pay the money. I'll take your 100 too. Finding a dead snow goose or speck on the roadside doesn't count. If I lose I'll pay in dirty tens I got from selling hunny.
You never know you might win.
A lone honker flies around way up high honking like it's lost about once a year.

Anotherone you want in on this?
He will kill all the Geese at Amityville too
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:03 pm

Damn lookit all them flambeau junk assed decoys.
Some oddball pintails in there too.
Will make a most excellent fire.
16823665361935320122866178290598.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:07 pm

I've got 3 dozen of these but they're weighted keels.
16823668017045949405252372155089.jpg
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:43 pm

Anotherone wrote:1’ of monofilament with a #10 cricket hook and a fresh cricket. Bluegill eats cricket, gets hooked then swims around while moving decoy, lol. Funny but seen this happen as a joke once with a 2 lb choupique. It drug the decoy all amongst the others until we had a tangled shit show.

Buddy's old Cajun daddy hunted a cypress slough, where he attached a few decoys to a trot line baited with duck guts. When he'd show up for the morning hunt, choupique (bowfin or grinnel for you folks from away) would be on the line swimming his decoys around. At hunt's end, he'd chuck the choupiques in a tub to be sold at the country store down the road and re-bait with his morning kills' guts.
Rick

Postby Anotherone » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:47 pm

I’d throw everyone of those dekes out at Clinton lake opening morning. Them ducks will come in hot with that super spread.
Anotherone

Postby Anotherone » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:49 pm

Rick wrote:
Anotherone wrote:1’ of monofilament with a #10 cricket hook and a fresh cricket. Bluegill eats cricket, gets hooked then swims around while moving decoy, lol. Funny but seen this happen as a joke once with a 2 lb choupique. It drug the decoy all amongst the others until we had a tangled shit show.

Buddy's old Cajun daddy hunted a cypress slough, where he attached a few decoys to a trot line baited with duck guts. When he'd show up for the morning hunt, choupique (bowfin or grinnel for you folks from away) would be on the line swimming his decoys around. At hunt's end, he'd chuck the choupiques in a tub to be sold at the country store down the road and re-bait with his morning kills' guts.

That would definitely work by my blind, choupiques are the only living creature some mornings back there besides me.
Anotherone

Postby PorkChop » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:16 pm

I guarantee that I have witnessed Canada geese roosting in flooded timber. Typical Ricky though changing rules and stories when somebody calls the bluff! They were using it for weeks and do it every year that there’s water there. I don’t typically bust a honker roost but for 100 bucks I would!
PorkChop

Postby Pennydog1 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:33 pm

down in southern ill when geese used to go there we hunted flooded cypress and killed many a goose there so yes they do use flooded timber
Pennydog1

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:51 am

Y'all might be arguing "flooded timber" semantics.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:54 am

Pennydog1 wrote:down in southern ill when geese used to go there we hunted flooded cypress and killed many a goose there so yes they do use flooded timber

PC can kill Canada geese at Carlysle Lake walk ins.
Two decoys and a call.
I've seen it.
A truck pulling a covered trailer full of decoys pulls in at 10 am.
They saunter out to the otter pond and kill 4 limits in an hour them ND guys are amazing.
Posted by a LADH
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:13 am

On our family farm there is a man made pond surrounded by trees.
Canada geese land but can't take off its too small.
Mated pair will raise chicks but they have to walk out to the neighbors pond to fly.
How small a hole will a honker use? 5 acres isn't big enough to take off from.
We hunt timber holes about 1/8 to 1/2 acre in size.
This Canada goose timber hunt sound good still?

I think Rick nailed it on semantics.
Flooded timber to me is thick and vast with small little hidden holes.
No geese go there
PC ...
I've got you covered.
Bring your 100.
16824215136625088381673479136579.jpg
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:12 am

I think you have fallen into the southern trap that if it does not fit the “southern definition” of things or does not happen in the south then it just can’t be the same thing. Timber is timber is timber and flooded is flooded is flooded but if it’s not in the south it just can’t be the same and it just can’t never match up! It always tickled me when I lived in Georgia and the few times I’ve visited Mississippi!
PorkChop

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:49 am

PorkChop wrote:Timber is timber is timber and flooded is flooded is flooded...

Only in the broadest possible sense.

PorkChop wrote:I think you have fallen into the southern trap that if it does not fit the “southern definition” of things or does not happen in the south then it just can’t be the same thing...if it’s not in the south it just can’t be the same and it just can’t never match up! It always tickled me when I lived in Georgia and the few times I’ve visited Mississippi!

That's pretty funny, everyone down here is convinced ND has the best bird, upland or waterfowl, hunting in the US.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:52 am

PorkChop wrote:I think you have fallen into the southern trap that if it does not fit the “southern definition” of things or does not happen in the south then it just can’t be the same thing. Timber is timber is timber and flooded is flooded is flooded but if it’s not in the south it just can’t be the same and it just can’t never match up! It always tickled me when I lived in Georgia and the few times I’ve visited Mississippi!

That's it!
You can easily collect that hundred bucks all you got to do is heal up where you can actually do it and I'll give you two whole days.
Now study up on the bullshit Arkansas laws for out of state hunters and pick your two days. Remember you're going to hunt on a public wma.
Now who is in whose trap again?

The bet is you're going to kill a honker at big lake wma
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:09 am

That's the hotel hole.
You can kill geese here easy. If you can find it.
20211128_080005.jpg

Might want a bit more water. Or less :lol:
The blind was over there across the hole on other side and was as big as a hotel they say.

When it's weedy like that hunt wood ducks. The mallards use somewhere else.

Thats what keeps some holes clear.
Small trees get choked out.
In the early season they close up the pipes just a few days before the opener. It's a pain but it's what it is.
Later by the time they let us oozers back after Christmas the water is 5 feet deep there and forget wading.
Deal with that too.
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:46 am

Once again delusional one I am the one that initiated the bet so I am the one that makes the rules. The south is not the only place that has bunch of flooded trees. Go chew on some more insulation!
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:14 am

PorkChop wrote:Once again delusional one I am the one that initiated the bet so I am the one that makes the rules. The south is not the only place that has bunch of flooded trees. Go chew on some more insulation!

That's the bet. If you want to weasel out and say it has to be north Dakota lumber fine but no 100 frn's.
Canada geese go to golf courses.

What type of insulation do you think you like the best for chewing I've never tried it. Rock wool or the spray foam stuff?
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:42 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Once again delusional one I am the one that initiated the bet so I am the one that makes the rules. The south is not the only place that has bunch of flooded trees. Go chew on some more insulation!

That's the bet. If you want to weasel out and say it has to be north Dakota lumber fine but no 100 frn's.

What type of insulation do you think you like the best for chewing I've never tried it. Rock wool or the spray foam stuff?

I always wondered Do you southern guys consider Reelfoot flooded timber?

I think you should chew on some asbestos! Might help with the drooling
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:21 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:

I always wondered Do you southern guys consider Reelfoot flooded timber?

I think you should chew on some asbestos! Might help with the drooling

I'm not a southern guy.
Not even close.
You'll have to ask cooksey and from what I saw in one picture I'd say no.
I've never been to reelfoot it's in Tennessee and there was these idiot Memphis cops....I'm not going to Tennessee.
I don't know ask mr fox. 8-)

Besides...it's peanut butter jelly time.
16824434491917992387070223267285.jpg
Ricky Spanish

Postby Anotherone » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:14 pm

That PBJ is going to ruin that swig of sweet tea.
Anotherone

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:28 pm

PorkChop wrote:I always wondered Do you southern guys consider Reelfoot flooded timber?

Just a big-assed cypress slough from what I've seen:
Rick

Postby PorkChop » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:39 pm

Rick wrote:
PorkChop wrote:I always wondered Do you southern guys consider Reelfoot flooded timber?

Just a big-assed cypress slough from what I've seen:

It’s funny that people think that Rutt Daniels is the first person doing these kind of things. Oh if I could be a fly on the wall of some of those duck blind as those guys went through.
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:49 pm

The reelfoot lake blinds or pics I've seen had thousands of decoys and weren't surrounded by trees.
That don't mean that there aren't timber holes.
I dunno I don't go there.
I go to places like Bayou Meto WMA.
That's timber hunting.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:29 pm

Now this does not count.
It's in Illinois and just brushy enough where geese wont go there.
20211123_102153.jpg

Everyone hides their boat by that fallen tree if it's deep enough.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Anotherone » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:35 pm

I’d be hunting squirrels behind your blind.
Anotherone

Next

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum