15 year retirement

Thank you to all the service members past and present whether it be military, police, fire, or other.

15 year retirement

Postby 3geese4me » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:35 pm

So I see now that the DOD is offering/proposing a new 15 year retirement plan. Instead of your 50% pension you would get 37.5% of your top 3. I have to be honest, I'm kind of leaning towards taking it. I have 10 years in right now and if I retire as an E-6 that would be an approximate $1140 check every month. The money wouldn't really matter to me because I know I'll get a decent paying job with my finance degree. The extra $400 that I would get if I retired at 20 isn't really worth the ass pain that I put up with now. My finances are in order, no credit card debt and I have a years worth of expenses saved up in my savings account.

Would you do it if you were in my shoes? or am I being dumb and I should just suck it up and stick it out for 5 more years?
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Re: 15 year retirement

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:40 pm

I hope the DoD does this. If they do then Homeland Security won't be far behind. I'd do it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby AKPirate » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:41 pm

That's a pretty good deal.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Olly wrote:I hope the DoD does this. If they do then Homeland Security won't be far behind. I'd do it.
do you fall under homeland security somehow?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:26 pm

3geese4me wrote:So I see now that the DOD is offering/proposing a new 15 year retirement plan. Instead of your 50% pension you would get 37.5% of your top 3. I have to be honest, I'm kind of leaning towards taking it. I have 10 years in right now and if I retire as an E-6 that would be an approximate $1140 check every month. The money wouldn't really matter to me because I know I'll get a decent paying job with my finance degree. The extra $400 that I would get if I retired at 20 isn't really worth the ass pain that I put up with now. My finances are in order, no credit card debt and I have a years worth of expenses saved up in my savings account.

Would you do it if you were in my shoes? or am I being dumb and I should just suck it up and stick it out for 5 more years?

No brainer.

If $1140 is 37.5% of your wage now, then it shouldn't be that hard to find a job in finance starting out with a $45-50k base and you'd still be able to put in 20+ there and you'd be shitting in the tall cotton by the time you're 60
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Olly wrote:I hope the DoD does this. If they do then Homeland Security won't be far behind. I'd do it.

Yes, the Coast Guard is the only branch of the military not under the DoD.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Redbeard » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:55 pm

Olly wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

hmm didn't know that
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby RonE » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:11 pm

3geese4me wrote:So I see now that the DOD is offering/proposing a new 15 year retirement plan. Instead of your 50% pension you would get 37.5% of your top 3. I have to be honest, I'm kind of leaning towards taking it. I have 10 years in right now and if I retire as an E-6 that would be an approximate $1140 check every month. The money wouldn't really matter to me because I know I'll get a decent paying job with my finance degree. The extra $400 that I would get if I retired at 20 isn't really worth the ass pain that I put up with now. My finances are in order, no credit card debt and I have a years worth of expenses saved up in my savings account.

Sounds like you are in the Air Farce. What would be wrong with staying for twenty and retiring as an E-7 or E-8? The extra 400 is 35% more that what you would get at 15 years plus what ever promotional raises, longevity raises and cost of living raises. You also have to consider what the job market is at the time you plan on retiring and that cannot be determined that far in the future. Being in good financial shape now is a great advantage. You might consider starting a heavy duty savings/investment strategy now and hit it hard for the next 5 years and see where you are then. It seems that you are committed to at least the next five years. If you put only $300 per month in a coffee can, that is $18,000 in five years, who knows how much it would be invested safely with the interest re-invested or how much it would be if someone gave you some really good advice on where and how to invest your money.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. It is refreshing to see someone planning ahead.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Bad17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:45 am

3geese stick the 20. You are over the hump. Stick the 20 retire with full benefits. I am still in contact with some guys who did the 15 yr retirement years ago and they got fucked on insurance and retirement benefits. Suck it up stay the 20 and promote and retire and be merry. Thanks for your service
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:48 am

RonE wrote:

Sounds like you are in the Air Farce. What would be wrong with staying for twenty and retiring as an E-7 or E-8? The extra 400 is 35% more that what you would get at 15 years plus what ever promotional raises, longevity raises and cost of living raises. You also have to consider what the job market is at the time you plan on retiring and that cannot be determined that far in the future. Being in good financial shape now is a great advantage. You might consider starting a heavy duty savings/investment strategy now and hit it hard for the next 5 years and see where you are then. It seems that you are committed to at least the next five years. If you put only $300 per month in a coffee can, that is $18,000 in five years, who knows how much it would be invested safely with the interest re-invested or how much it would be if someone gave you some really good advice on where and how to invest your money.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. It is refreshing to see someone planning ahead.

I guess my big issue is that the Air Force is becoming quite the Charlie Foxtrot anymore. Ridiculous policies and the constant need for those wishing to advance to suck the dicks of those who write their performance report. I am not that type of guy, I am a "if you do a good job at work and stay out of trouble, you will get promoted" guy. I guess my issue also is that I see what I could be making in the civilian sector and I look at what I am making now. No question that I would be making more if I was a civilian. I would get out now, but I have devoted 10 years of my life to the military. That is too much to give without getting anything in return from the Air Force. So when I seen the 15 year retirement, it became quite sexy to me because I'm tired of the bs that I have to put up with on a daily basis. If I stuck it out for the remaining 9 years left, yeah I would make substantially more. But the stress and strain on my family life is not worth it in my opinion. I do have a decent retirement fund set up and it's doing surprisingly well. I do 10% of my take home pay goes to a retirement fund and another 10% goes into savings. They are also doing away with our COLA, and the longevity raises are getting to be quite weak to be honest. I just got my 10 year raise. After taxes, I seen a 50 dollar per paycheck increase. So it's not like I'm making substantially more money by staying in longer.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am

Bad17 wrote:3geese stick the 20. You are over the hump. Stick the 20 retire with full benefits. I am still in contact with some guys who did the 15 yr retirement years ago and they got fucked on insurance and retirement benefits. Suck it up stay the 20 and promote and retire and be merry. Thanks for your service

Thank you, this is also a fear of mine. Getting fucked on the money side of things, but I guess that is the gamble you take when something like this comes out. How did they get screwed on the money side if you don't mind me asking? If push came to shove, I could just jump on my wife's insurance and be covered that way. That doesn't bother me, but not getting my money does make me upset.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Bad17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:11 am

Lowered percentage. Took tricare benefits away. You are supposed to be covered the rest of your life with the insurance. You earned that and they will take it away after a little while. I wish I woulda stuck the 20 out but I got out after 8 when it got political. When you could not properly discipline someone. I know it sucks but it's just a few more years I would stick it out. With tricare you are covered 100% with other insurance you have to pay for it. This would save you money as well. It's up to you ultimately. You need to decide what will make you and your wife happy. Good luck with this. It has to be a difficult decision especially since you have a family. Research all options and make a good decision not one made on emotion. Have a job lined up to start within 30 days of your retirement date. There are a lot of companies who love hiring veterans because of work ethic and reliability. If you can do that transition will be much easier. Good luck brother.
Bad17

Postby jehler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:19 am

Olly wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

so your not in the military
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:23 am

3geese4me wrote: I would get out now, but I have devoted 10 years of my life to the military. That is too much to give without getting anything in return from the Air Force.

Fuck that, do what you want, life is to short to think this way
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:34 am

jehler wrote:
Olly wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

They are the mall cop of the military branches. :-D
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bad17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:19 am

They are DOT
Bad17

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:32 am

Bad17 wrote:They are DOT

Used to be before 9/11 now we're under Homeland Security.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:48 am

3geese4me wrote:
Bad17 wrote:3geese stick the 20. You are over the hump. Stick the 20 retire with full benefits. I am still in contact with some guys who did the 15 yr retirement years ago and they got fucked on insurance and retirement benefits. Suck it up stay the 20 and promote and retire and be merry. Thanks for your service

Thank you, this is also a fear of mine. Getting fucked on the money side of things, but I guess that is the gamble you take when something like this comes out. How did they get screwed on the money side if you don't mind me asking? If push came to shove, I could just jump on my wife's insurance and be covered that way. That doesn't bother me, but not getting my money does make me upset.

If I was retiring from the military, Id be staying until Chief or officer. Should happen within the 25 year mark. To me retiring as a 6 is just not worth it.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:10 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:

No brainer.

If $1140 is 37.5% of your wage now, then it shouldn't be that hard to find a job in finance starting out with a $45-50k base and you'd still be able to put in 20+ there and you'd be shitting in the tall cotton by the time you're 60

Assuming, of course, you make it to 60.

50/50™.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:14 am

My plan....
Fuck off and accumulate as much debt as possible until I'm 50. Then work till I die.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:19 am

NuffDaddy wrote:My plan....
Fuck off and accumulate as much debt as possible until I'm 50. Then work till I die.

At age 52 I am glad I don't have your plan. In a few years I will be debt free and the I can play until I die.

You are gonna hit 50 faster than you think.

Save your money.
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:20 am

3g it kinda sounds like you have your mind made up and just want to hear someone else say it.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Bad17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Sorry Olly didn't know they changed that.
Bad17

Postby RonE » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:57 pm

jehler wrote:
Olly wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

He works for the same outfit that has all those assholes at the airport, TSA.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby RonE » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:00 pm

Bad17 wrote:Sorry Olly didn't know they changed that.

"They" didn't change it, our inspired leader did.
RonE

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:18 pm

RonE wrote:
Bad17 wrote:Sorry Olly didn't know they changed that.

"They" didn't change it, our inspired leader did.

If you mean George Bush then yes...
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Tomkat wrote:

At age 52 I am glad I don't have your plan. In a few years I will be debt free and the I can play until I die.

Save your money.

Just joking. Should be done with school in 3 years. Then as long as I can find a job, I'm hoping to be retired pretty early in life.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:42 pm

3geese4me wrote:
RonE wrote:

I guess my big issue is that the Air Force is becoming quite the Charlie Foxtrot anymore. Ridiculous policies and the constant need for those wishing to advance to suck the dicks of those who write their performance report. I am not that type of guy, I am a "if you do a good job at work and stay out of trouble, you will get promoted" guy. I guess my issue also is that I see what I could be making in the civilian sector and I look at what I am making now. No question that I would be making more if I was a civilian. I would get out now, but I have devoted 10 years of my life to the military. That is too much to give without getting anything in return from the Air Force. So when I seen the 15 year retirement, it became quite sexy to me because I'm tired of the bs that I have to put up with on a daily basis. If I stuck it out for the remaining 9 years left, yeah I would make substantially more. But the stress and strain on my family life is not worth it in my opinion. I do have a decent retirement fund set up and it's doing surprisingly well. I do 10% of my take home pay goes to a retirement fund and another 10% goes into savings. They are also doing away with our COLA, and the longevity raises are getting to be quite weak to be honest. I just got my 10 year raise. After taxes, I seen a 50 dollar per paycheck increase. So it's not like I'm making substantially more money by staying in longer.

On the flipside, you'll most likely deal with some form of bs at any other job as well.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Tomkat wrote:

Save your money.

Not being a dick but...

Get a good job and that saving for your whole life is pointless.

Should be able to save from 40-55 to boost your retirement more than enough to play the rest of your life.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:20 pm

3legged_lab wrote:On the flipside, you'll most likely deal with some form of bs at any other job as well.

This is amazingly true, and shouldn't be discounted. I used to think the bullshit was deep in the Army, but really, corporate America makes the military look like a well-oiled machine. While the bullshit may be a different flavor, I assure you it is every bit as deep in the civilian world.
assateague

Next

Return to Military, Police, Fire, Public Service Members