Military Medals Review

Thank you to all the service members past and present whether it be military, police, fire, or other.

Military Medals Review

Postby AKPirate » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:38 am

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/20/pentagon-to-conduct-reviews-on-how-military-medals-are-awarded/?intcmp=latestnews

The Pentagon has launched three separate reviews on how military medals are awarded, in the face of broad criticism over the inability to recognize heroism in incidents such as the Fort Hood shootings and aborted plans to create a new award for drone pilots.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel signed a letter Thursday formally ordering a comprehensive yearlong study in military awards, saying it will primarily focus on whether the department adequately recognizes all levels of combat valor and if the award processes are appropriate.

In comments to Congress last week, Hagel said that as the U.S. comes out of its longest war, it's an appropriate time to do a complete review of all military decorations.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Re: Military Medals Review

Postby capt1972 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:48 am

Don't want to start shit here but...... It sounds like there handing out participation awards. I mean drone pilots? C'mon.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:54 am

They need to get rid of PCS and ETS awards. That's bullshit, and I've always thought so.
assateague

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:55 am

I am currently feeling some effect of this. My Bronze star has officially been downgraded to an Air Force commendation medal.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:56 am

That's bullshit. But yet anybody who's an O-4 or higher will automatically get a bronze star simply for completing a deployment.
assateague

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:06 am

I agree. But the most important thing to me was that I saved 2 guys lives and we all lived to tell the tale. And at least I'm getting some form of recognition, they could have said "awesome job, bro" and sent me to the showers.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby waterfowlman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Most of the men I served with had no use for medals and could give a shit if they were ever awarded one. Medals were for the KIA and severely wounded, not the lucky bastards who caught their flights home basically all in one piece. Volunteerism and mission were all that really mattered to those fellas from what I saw.
My two cents.
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby waterfowlman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:43 pm

assateague wrote:They need to get rid of PCS and ETS awards. That's bullshit, and I've always thought so.

Agreed!
waterfowlman

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:22 pm

waterfowlman wrote:Most of the men I served with had no use for medals and could give a shit if they were ever awarded one. Medals were for the KIA and severely wounded, not the lucky bastards who caught their flights home basically all in one piece. Volunteerism and mission were all that really mattered to those fellas from what I saw.
My two cents.

Yup. We are handing out Commendation medals now for simply showing up to work. We need to drop the medals BS and just do the jobs were are paid to do without needing a piece of paper summing up "thanks for doing what you were supposed to" on it.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Military Medals Review

Postby Redbeard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:13 pm

I'd follow these men into battle
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395872008.835992.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395872017.518805.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:19 am

waterfowlman wrote:Most of the men I served with had no use for medals and could give a shit if they were ever awarded one. Medals were for the KIA and severely wounded, not the lucky bastards who caught their flights home basically all in one piece. Volunteerism and mission were all that really mattered to those fellas from what I saw.
My two cents.

I see where Dear Leader recently gave the CMH to a bunch of people. He was really good at the ceremony, thats what be does.
Tomkat

Postby waterfowlman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Redbeard wrote:I'd follow these men into battle

AND.....no one would ever hear from you again. :lol: :lol:
waterfowlman

Postby Redbeard » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:46 pm

waterfowlman wrote:
Redbeard wrote:I'd follow these men into battle

AND.....no one would ever hear from you again. :lol: :lol:
hahaha
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:47 pm

waterfowlman wrote:Medals were for the KIA and severely wounded, not the lucky bastards who caught their flights home basically all in one piece.

That.
Rick

Return to Military, Police, Fire, Public Service Members