Why would they declassify this?

Thank you to all the service members past and present whether it be military, police, fire, or other.

Why would they declassify this?

Postby AKPirate » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm

The Senate Intelligence Committee voted Thursday for the public release of key parts of a report on the notorious CIA detention and interrogation program launched after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

A final decision on declassifying the information now rests with the White House, and it was unclear how long such a process would take.

Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California said the panel she leads voted 11-3 in a closed-door session to declassify the 480-page executive summary and 20 findings and conclusions of the five-year study.

Feinstein called the report's findings "shocking," saying it "exposes brutality that stands in stark contrast to our values as a nation."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/03/politics/senate-cia-report/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Re: Why would they declassify this?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:20 pm

To cause a stink. No other reason for them to do it other than that.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby capt1972 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:25 pm

To cause a stink. No other reason for them to do it other than that.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby AKPirate » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm not even certain that they can do that. Or that he can do that. To the best of my knowledge, the only one who can declassify something is the classification authority. In this case, the CIA. So let's say a bunch of Senators want something declassified. They can't pass a bill, demand it be done, or say "it's not classified". Nor can the president. They have to file a request for declassification with the agency who classified the original document, and the ONLY one who can say yes or no is that agency. Not congress, not the president, nobody. If the original classification authority says no, the one who wanted it to be clear can appeal it to some board somewhere, but I'm not sure who. I think it's agency heads, but I know who it isn't- the president or congress. I would routinely stamp decl requests "no" and send them back, without even reading them. I wasn't gonna be the one on the hook for any bad shit that happened because of it. There's a "declassify date" line on documents, and we used to be able to simply enter "DECL OADR", which stood for "Declassification: Originating Authority Determination Required", but that became unnecessary more than a few years back, when it became the rule that the one who classified it had to declass it. So Pelosi and whomever may go pound sand. The only way around this is the 25 year rule. Everything which is classified has a drop dead date 25 years from the original date. At that point, it must be reviewed (by the agency who originally classified it) and decide if it needs to stay secret or not. If they forget to do this, then it loses it's classification at that point. So fuck Congress, and the president, too. I don't know why we even have laws if they can ignore them as they please.

Which isn't to say it won't happen, anyway.
assateague

Postby AKPirate » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:46 pm

assateague wrote:I'm not even certain that they can do that. Or that he can do that. To the best of my knowledge, the only one who can declassify something is the classification authority. In this case, the CIA. So let's say a bunch of Senators want something declassified. They can't pass a bill, demand it be done, or say "it's not classified". Nor can the president. They have to file a request for declassification with the agency who classified the original document, and the ONLY one who can say yes or no is that agency. Not congress, not the president, nobody. If the original classification authority says no, the one who wanted it to be clear can appeal it to some board somewhere, but I'm not sure who. I think it's agency heads, but I know who it isn't- the president or congress. I would routinely stamp decl requests "no" and send them back, without even reading them. I wasn't gonna be the one on the hook for any bad shit that happened because of it. There's a "declassify date" line on documents, and we used to be able to simply enter "DECL OADR", which stood for "Declassification: Originating Authority Determination Required", but that became unnecessary more than a few years back, when it became the rule that the one who classified it had to declass it. So Pelosi and whomever may go pound sand. The only way around this is the 25 year rule. Everything which is classified has a drop dead date 25 years from the original date. At that point, it must be reviewed (by the agency who originally classified it) and decide if it needs to stay secret or not. If they forget to do this, then it loses it's classification at that point. So fuck Congress, and the president, too. I don't know why we even have laws if they can ignore them as they please.

Which isn't to say it won't happen, anyway.

Well said. It points out that the leadership needs to change too.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby waterfowlman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:44 am

The current administration has absolutely no regard for any of our country's laws.
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby RonE » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:45 am

Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California said the panel she leads voted 11-3 in a closed-door session to declassify the 480-page executive summary and 20 findings and conclusions of the five-year study.

Leave it to that crunt to report the details of a "closed session" rather than just the results.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby assateague » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:45 am

OK, I'll say it again- you cannot just "vote" to declassify something. Period.
assateague

Postby RonE » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:25 am

assateague wrote:OK, I'll say it again- you cannot just "vote" to declassify something. Period.

Heard you the first time and I'm not arguing with that.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby assateague » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:52 pm

I was talking to Congress, not you Ron :lol:
assateague

Postby RonE » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:55 pm

assateague wrote:I was talking to Congress, not you Ron :lol:

Well, at least I listen, does congress?
RonE

Return to Military, Police, Fire, Public Service Members