Blackheads

Everything Diver related.

Re: Blackheads

Postby Willie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:51 pm

QH's Paw wrote:There was a local guy here that tried this last year and it ended up to be such a cluster fuck he abondoned the idea after a few attempts. He had to wait for the birds to clear the net after being shot because the dog was panicking when trying to cross or access the net.
Also, like I had suspected, the current and tide made for a lot of adjusting through out the hunts he attempted.
He's not a rookie and he put in a ton of prep time, so he didn't want to give up. In the end, he said throwing 2 longlines, or even 4 lines was easier and, they don't require constant adjusting through out the tide cycles.

Yes, I can definitely see where a tide would give you problems. Where we hunt, it's more wind driven tide than anything else. And it definitely takes a few times deploying it to get the hang of it.
Willie

Postby jehler » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:26 pm

I like it a lot, and can think of a handful of spots we hunt that it would be absolutely deadly
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 am

jehler wrote:I like it a lot, and can think of a handful of spots we hunt that it would be absolutely deadly

We don't really have many places around here without tide and current. If it wasn't for that, I'd put time into it too.
I really like the looks of it. It really mimics their butt to bill configuration during storm cycles. I might try it on a small scale, for puddlers, on the local WMA, if I get bored some day.
QH's Paw

Postby jehler » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 am

QH's Paw wrote:
jehler wrote:I like it a lot, and can think of a handful of spots we hunt that it would be absolutely deadly

We don't really have many places around here without tide and current. If it wasn't for that, I'd put time into it too.
I really like the looks of it. It really mimics their butt to bill configuration during storm cycles. I might try it on a small scale, for puddlers, on the local WMA, if I get bored some day.
we get wind tides, I've seen the water drop 4" before, it's horrible, you have no idea how that can screw things up
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Bufflehead » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Tide change here is not more than 18" to 24" very often. It does happen, but only on hard winds. We do have current being so close to the inlet but in most areas we hunt it is not as fast as it is in rivers.
Bufflehead

Postby Mornin Beef » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:45 am

jehler wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:

we get wind tides, I've seen the water drop 4" before, it's horrible, you have no idea how that can screw things up

Something about Lake Ontario being downstream of all the Great Lakes causes the extremes. We see 8" fluctuations and 12" at river mouths.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting Forum