Blackheads

Everything Diver related.

Blackheads

Postby Bufflehead » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:46 pm

decoy net with about nine or ten dozen decoys on it. takes about four or five minutes to put out and two and a half minutes to take up by myself. can put it out quicker when it's blowing a little

Bufflehead

Re: Blackheads

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Saw quite a few of those rigs when we hunted down east...we made one but it was just a cluster in deep water, so we scrapped it.

It would be awesome, we just couldn't get it to work.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Bufflehead » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:02 pm

the deepest i've hunted with it is about 13' but most of the time we are in 8' or less.
Bufflehead

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:04 pm

If looks good in your photos, we tried it in 20' and it was marginal- took on a serious hourglass shape. It was definitely better in shallower water.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby obxbufflehead » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Were those pictures taken on the west side?
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Bufflehead » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:31 pm

obxbufflehead wrote:Were those pictures taken on the west side?

they were taken on the west side of something

fucking cyberscout :lol:

there's a load of ducks where you were the day you saw me with my float blind. all the way up in there, not out where i was
Bufflehead

Postby Bufflehead » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:36 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:If looks good in your photos, we tried it in 20' and it was marginal- took on a serious hourglass shape. It was definitely better in shallower water.

you can see a little hour glass shape in the first pic. that's in about 8' and the tide was running hard across the wind. in deep water there's just no way to get the anchors tight enough. we hang sash weights about 5' down each anchor line in deeper water and it helps some but i don't think it would make any difference in that deep
Bufflehead

Postby obxbufflehead » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 pm

Bufflehead wrote:
obxbufflehead wrote:Were those pictures taken on the west side?

they were taken on the west side of something

fucking cyberscout :lol:

there's a load of ducks where you were the day you saw me with my float blind. all the way up in there, not out where i was

I knew I would catch hell for that :lol:

I'm sure there are. To bad I'm not 15. I would take my sister next weekend but my boats in the shop.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 pm

We tried 6 anchors (corners and sides) and finally just realized that we weren't going to get a better rig than our long lines for our situation.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:34 am

What's the size and kind of the net you used? Looks good.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby obxbufflehead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:44 am

NuffDaddy wrote:What's the size and kind of the net you used? Looks good.

Knowing where bufflehead and I are both from, its probably one of these 3.
1. An old shrimp net that he cut.
2. An old gillnet.
3. A net that he tied just for this.
obxbufflehead

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:17 pm

netting is 1-3/4" strecthed mesh - #15 twine nylon netting . 200 meshes deep. #9 nylon crab pot line for the border. hung in place with #18 tarred twine.

200 mesh deep hangs a net about 13', length depends on how much you buy. the one in the picture is about 22' or 23'. i've a got couple shorter ones and one that is a little longer.

Bufflehead

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:20 pm

and it's dipped in latex paint

Bufflehead

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:37 pm

and you want to use NYLON. you can use poly but it floats, paint doesn't stick to it and it pulls back together bad (causing it to want to get the hour glass shape way worse).
Bufflehead

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Cool thanks. :thumbsup:

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Bufflehead wrote:and it's dipped in latex paint

Looks like a clusterfuck of mass proportions at o' dark thirty on the water. "Hour glass shape" turn the birds that bad?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 pm

That's what I was thinking. Seems like people would hear me swearing for about 6 miles across the water when I was trying to put that out.
assateague

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Flightstopper wrote:

Looks like a clusterfuck of mass proportions at o' dark thirty on the water. "Hour glass shape" turn the birds that bad?
the problem with the hour glass shape is the net will only be spread out a couple feet wide in the middle and all the decoys will be bumping.

as fas being a clusterfuck, the singles i spread around it are a bigger pain in the ass and definitely more time consuming.
Bufflehead

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:57 pm

You don't run any lines?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:You don't run any lines?
i've got longlines too but i don't usualy use them. only in deep water or if i want a bigger spread, think i used them twice this year. for divers i have around 250-275 on nets, 40 or 50 singles and about 10 dozen on longlines.
Bufflehead

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:19 pm

Bufflehead wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

the problem with the hour glass shape is the net will only be spread out a couple feet wide in the middle and all the decoys will be bumping.

as fas being a clusterfuck, the singles i spread around it are a bigger pain in the ass and definitely more time consuming.

Ill take your word for it since I have zero experience and would be talking out my ass if I said any different. Still looks like just the rig Jehler has been looking for to finally take Jgun down.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:35 pm

I really like the looks of those G&H bills. Clyde bought some this year and they look good on the water. Only thing I don't like about them is the swivel head, they always end up with their heads turned on their back.
As for the nets, they look good but, our tides run from 6-10' so it would be tough to set them tight for the whole tide cycle.
QH's Paw

Postby assateague » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Maybe you could just anchor the running side, and let the trailing side float?
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:08 pm

assateague wrote:Maybe you could just anchor the running side, and let the trailing side float?

tried that with two parallel long lines before because I was short an anchor....doesn't work too well
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Willie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Trick too is to use danforth anchors on the upwind corners so you can pull it tight to get it stretched out.
Willie

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:10 pm

I saw some blueheads today.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 pm

3legged_lab wrote:I saw some blueheads today.

I saw some red heads while fishing.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby huntfishnv » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:53 am

Bufflehead wrote:netting is 1-3/4" strecthed mesh - #15 twine nylon netting . 200 meshes deep. #9 nylon crab pot line for the border. hung in place with #18 tarred twine.

200 mesh deep hangs a net about 13', length depends on how much you buy. the one in the picture is about 22' or 23'. i've a got couple shorter ones and one that is a little longer.

I like the way that looks. What's the advantage in using something like that? I have a diver spot that I think this would be perfect for...
huntfishnv

Postby Willie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:43 pm

huntfishnv wrote:
Bufflehead wrote:netting is 1-3/4" strecthed mesh - #15 twine nylon netting . 200 meshes deep. #9 nylon crab pot line for the border. hung in place with #18 tarred twine.

I like the way that looks. What's the advantage in using something like that? I have a diver spot that I think this would be perfect for...

The advantage is being able to put an assload of decoys out real quick, and it looks like a knot of birds. Pretty effective too.
Willie

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:51 am

There was a local guy here that tried this last year and it ended up to be such a cluster fuck he abondoned the idea after a few attempts. He had to wait for the birds to clear the net after being shot because the dog was panicking when trying to cross or access the net.
Also, like I had suspected, the current and tide made for a lot of adjusting through out the hunts he attempted.
He's not a rookie and he put in a ton of prep time, so he didn't want to give up. In the end, he said throwing 2 longlines, or even 4 lines was easier and, they don't require constant adjusting through out the tide cycles.
QH's Paw

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting Forum