Long line weights

Everything Diver related.

Long line weights

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Just did the brakes on the girlfriends car. Looked at the old rotors, and thought they might work as a long lone weight. Decent idea, or ridiculous?

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: Long line weights

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 pm

I know lots if guys that use old rotors
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:07 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1374185187689.jpg

Was all the encouragement I needed. Figured I'd cut down on the shiney factor too

sent from a phancy fone
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Guys here use them as anchors for crab trot lines, also.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:13 pm

I like your camo job. They will work great as weights.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Shoot, that was about a 5 second camo job. Rustolium-ed them with black primer, then took the green and khaki (didn't have brown), one in each hand, and just criss crossed them quick. Just enough to try and make them blend into rocky bottom, figure mud they'll be buried anyways

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 pm

So, use these for the up wind side, and a littler weight for the down wind side? I'm thinking of making about 3 lines with 6 or 7 decoys per line

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:40 pm

How heavy are they?

How deep do you run them?
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:41 pm

With 6-7 decoys and a solid weight like that, I doubt I'd even bother with a downwind anchor
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:57 pm

I'd eventually like to expand the number of decoys per line, but that's all I have for now. I also don't have any line or rigging yet. Planning on getting sinking line, but don't know if I'll go for the long line clips, or just tie on the decoy lines for now.

I am just beginning this whole diver hunting thing as this is the first year we can open water hunt

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby jehler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Window sash weights for the downwind, real easy to drag without snags
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Goldfish wrote:I'd eventually like to expand the number of decoys per line, but that's all I have for now. I also don't have any line or rigging yet. Planning on getting sinking line, but don't know if I'll go for the long line clips, or just tie on the decoy lines for now.

I am just beginning this whole diver hunting thing as this is the first year we can open water hunt

sent from a phancy fone

Decoy Rigs out of Whiting, Indiana for line.
The stiffer the braid, the less prone it is to tangle.
And to that point, if you don't have longline clips you'll end up having to cut and re-tie decoys when you foul a line, and the time lost and line lost will make the cost of the clips seem cheap.
You can get clips from Doctari for less than $1/per
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Sash weights work good, I came across a bunch of 1 & 2 lb cannon ball weights for cheap, those work good too.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Do y'all think these will work for long line weights?
It's about 4.5 lb.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Did you stick it together with bubble gum?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Should be ok. I'd scrap that gizmo that you have for a anchor tie and weld a couple chain links to it
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:09 am

3legged_lab wrote:Did you stick it together with bubble gum?

Yeah, what you don't think that will work?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Woody » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:10 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Should be ok. I'd scrap that gizmo that you have for a anchor tie and weld a couple chain links to it

That's probably a better way to do it.
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:05 am

image.jpg

image.jpg

That better, Dan?
Woody

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 am

The anchors should work fine, I'm guessing that at some point you'll rethink having all the line in a bucket, but probably not until it freezes once
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:37 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:The anchors should work fine, I'm guessing that at some point you'll rethink having all the line in a bucket, but probably not until it freezes once

Well shit...
Woody

Postby Olly » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:The anchors should work fine, I'm guessing that at some point you'll rethink having all the line in a bucket, but probably not until it freezes once

I thought that's how it was done? I'm thinking about putting together a mini diver rig with a small tender and one layout and I was going to do that with my lines.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:39 am

Olly wrote:

I thought that's how it was done? I'm thinking about putting together a mini diver rig with a small tender and one layout and I was going to do that with my lines.

Dan winds them up on extension cord spools, if I am not mistaken.
Woody

Postby Olly » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:42 am

Woody wrote:Dan winds them up on extension cord spools, if I am not mistaken.

Ahhh that makes a lot more sense.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 am

Try to keep this in mind when doing any of this stuff - "sure it works now / not a pain in the ass when it's 75°, how is this going to work when it's 30° or 20°??"

Don't worry. The first couple seasons are the roughest, but you'll learn quick. It's impossible to anticipate all the ways things can get screwed up until you just go and do it.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:33 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Try to keep this in mind when doing any of this stuff - "sure it works now / not a pain in the ass when it's 75°, how is this going to work when it's 30° or 20°??"

Don't worry. The first couple seasons are the roughest, but you'll learn quick. It's impossible to anticipate all the ways things can get screwed up until you just go and do it.

Well I listened to ya and during lunch I went and bought spools. Tomorrow I'll return all but two (keep the anchors in) of those buckets.
Woody

Postby jehler » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Where in the hell did y'all get the buckets idea?!? ;)

I use buckets exclusively but I have tons of storage, also, most of my lines are tarred in a home made concoction that shed water and doesn't freeze, I've done spools and buckets are faster for me, but the way we set up is a bit different
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Woody » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Haha, it's a mystery.

Actually after making that post I made a smart decision and only bought one spool and after trying it out I'm not too fancy on it. Right now I'm going to run 3 lines in that spool and the other 5 in buckets at least until freezing is a problem. After running both side by side I might ask you for that concoction if you don't mind.
Woody

Postby Bufflehead » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Drill a bunch of drain holes in the bucket and freezing probably won't be to much of a problem.

I usually leave my decoys attached to the mainline and pile them in the floor or in trash cans. If I do take them off, I use a spool for the mainline.
Bufflehead

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:31 am

Yep, holes are important.

Woody you take several tubes of solar seal caulk and with a drill and paint mixer mix it with mineral spirits in an empty paint can, with a top so you can reseal, until it is about like pudding in consistency. Get two people and some rubber gloves, put the rope in and gooch it up, then have one guy pull while the other holds the string between his fingers stripping the excess away, like milking a cow. Don't let it hit the ground, tie it off, we hung between trees, and let tinder a couple weeks. Stays pliable and water resistant for years. A horrible mess though
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting Forum