Long lines and clips

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:54 pm

What to get, and where to get it??
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Long lines and clips

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Kite string and fishing swivels
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Decoy Rigs out of Whiting, IN.

They don't have a website, but they will be at the Bay City show next weekend with everything you'll need. You can pick up a catalog at their booth too

I've got there phone number somewhere.

I prefer a fairly stiff braid cord to keep things from tangling up. Also use big clips 5" at least, 6" is better - easier to manipulate with gloves on when it gets cold and will lock on a cord and not move.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:32 pm

I use the same 400# mono that I do on my texas rigs for my long lines. The only problem I have with it, is I don't use them all that often and the mono has good bit of memory in it. But when I put them out, i keep the line tight when feeding it out and it keeps it from tangling.

http://www.knutsondecoys.com/rigging.html

http://www.snlcorp.net/cgi/commerce.cgi ... egory=DUCK
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:44 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I use the same 400# mono that I do on my texas rigs for my long lines. The only problem I have with it, is I don't use them all that often and the mono has good bit of memory in it. But when I put them out, i keep the line tight when feeding it out and it keeps it from tangling.

Do the longline clips hold on Mono?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:48 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I use the same 400# mono that I do on my texas rigs for my long lines. The only problem I have with it, is I don't use them all that often and the mono has good bit of memory in it. But when I put them out, i keep the line tight when feeding it out and it keeps it from tangling.

Do the longline clips hold on Mono?

I crimp a holder(not sure the exact name) then slide a swivel then crimp on another holder, then put a split ring on the swivel. I've never had any problems with it holding.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Willie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Longline clips will hold on mono.

I got all of my setup from Doctari. You can order straight off his website. Longline, droppers, clips, whatever you need.
Willie

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Go here and buy your tarred line here.
http://www.memphisnet.net/product/2212/ ... arredseine

Then this for your dropper lines.
http://www.memphisnet.net/category/s?ke ... 336+tarred

The clip are like Dan said, 5" or 6". There are many sources that are cheap. I buy mine from a local decoy shop but, Cabelas and others sell them.
Here is a link to Doctari's clips, just so you can see what we are talking about. They are not the cheapest but, helps you see what we are talking about. If you have a commercial fishing supply local to you, it will likely be cheaper.
The ones at this link are the 5", you want to make sure you buy the ones with swivels, it makes a big difference if you end up using them in areas with current or tide changes.
http://doctarilonglines.com/longlineclipssnaps.aspx

If you are only going to try only one line, then going to Doctari and buying a made up line kit might be the best way to start but, if you are going to make multiple lines, it's a lot cheaper to buy bulk and make yourself.
QH's Paw

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:28 pm

I've never seen Cabelas carry "good" LL clips.

Go with Doctari, Decoy Rigs, or any of the commercial fishing shops for your hardware.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks guys, ill check out those. I'm not looking to get into it real deep right now...Diver hunting is a big expense that I can't afford right now. I just want a couple lines, maybe 5doz decoys or so to add to my puddler spread when I'm in the open water.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Willie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:43 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Thanks guys, ill check out those. I'm not looking to get into it real deep right now...Diver hunting is a big expense that I can't afford right now. I just want a couple lines, maybe 5doz decoys or so to add to my puddler spread when I'm in the open water.

The longline setup isn't too hard on the wallet. I ordered everything from doctari and use 5lb dumb bells for anchors. There used to be a discount code either on the fuge or DHC that gave a good % off.
Willie

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:50 am

Willie wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Thanks guys, ill check out those. I'm not looking to get into it real deep right now...Diver hunting is a big expense that I can't afford right now. I just want a couple lines, maybe 5doz decoys or so to add to my puddler spread when I'm in the open water.

The longline setup isn't too hard on the wallet. I ordered everything from doctari and use 5lb dumb bells for anchors. There used to be a discount code either on the fuge or DHC that gave a good % off.

If you go to his site(Doctari) through the link on the "fuge" it will automatically adjust the price, even if you aren't a member.
QH's Paw

Postby Willie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:38 am

QH's Paw wrote:
Willie wrote:

If you go to his site(Doctari) through the link on the "fuge" it will automatically adjust the price, even if you aren't a member.

That's right...I couldn't remember exactly how it worked. Thanks!
Willie

Postby ryckmanm » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi, I'm just starting my diver spread and looking to buy some equipment. Could you elaborate a little more on how you get a discount on doctari's site. What is the "fuge" you are talking about?
Thanks,
Mason
ryckmanm

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 pm

ryckmanm wrote:Hi, I'm just starting my diver spread and looking to buy some equipment. Could you elaborate a little more on how you get a discount on doctari's site. What is the "fuge" you are talking about?
Thanks,
Mason

Refuge forums. It's a site like this one only not fun. He is a member there and has the code in his signature if I remember right.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:14 am

ryckmanm wrote:Hi, I'm just starting my diver spread and looking to buy some equipment. Could you elaborate a little more on how you get a discount on doctari's site. What is the "fuge" you are talking about?
Thanks,
Mason

Mason.......Welcome to WFF! Tell us a little about yourself. Hope you have a great time here.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby ryckmanm » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Thank guys, I'm glad to be part of the group. I'm from southcentral ND and have hunted ducks for the past 7 years but mainly targeted mallards in corn and stubble fields and on the missouri. I started college this past year a couple hundred miles east of where I grew up and seen many goldeneyes and other divers in the area. I got a couple divers on my hitlist and want to try a different style of duck hunting.
Mason
ryckmanm

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:16 pm

ryckmanm wrote:Thank guys, I'm glad to be part of the group. I'm from southcentral ND and have hunted ducks for the past 7 years but mainly targeted mallards in corn and stubble fields and on the missouri. I started college this past year a couple hundred miles east of where I grew up and seen many goldeneyes and other divers in the area. I got a couple divers on my hitlist and want to try a different style of duck hunting.
Mason

:welcome:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Return to Diver Duck Hunting Forum