Blind building

Everything Diver related.

Blind building

Postby RonE » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Built a new blind in the bay. Shot near here last year and it was too good not to have our own blind. This blind should hold 5 hunters and a dog.
Deer duck blind.jpg

We will have it brushed and the bench built by the end of the week.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Re: Blind building

Postby Redbeard » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Nice Ron!
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:59 pm

One question from the uninformed but wouldn't be easier to just use the boat blind what advantage does a permanent blind have? Looks like great craftsmanship by the way

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby RonE » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:08 pm

realunlucky wrote:One question from the uninformed but wouldn't be easier to just use the boat blind what advantage does a permanent blind have? Looks like great craftsmanship by the way

Around here, very few people have boats with blinds. Most people have fishing boats, airboats or skiffs that are used for everything. In the back lakes it takes a surface drive boat or an airboat for access unless the water is high. The blind pictured was built at a time of high water and it is about 3 feet deep. The bottom is hard sand and grass.

I have a surface drive boat and will build a blind for it but it is rare around here. I will use it primarily where the bottom is real muddy and wading after ducks is a pain in the ass. Over half the duck hunters around here don't have or use a dog. I have a dog but will be able to use the boat to set and retrieve decoys. Picking up decoys with a hard sand bottom is easy, even for old guys like me.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Sink post with a pump?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Sink post with a pump?

Yes, indeed those posts are 10 feet long and three feet in the sand, more or less. We used a 2" trash pump with a PVC wand.
RonE

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:29 pm

RonE wrote:
realunlucky wrote:One question from the uninformed but wouldn't be easier to just use the boat blind what advantage does a permanent blind have? Looks like great craftsmanship by the way

Around here, very few people have boats with blinds. Most people have fishing boats, airboats or skiffs that are used for everything. In the back lakes it takes a surface drive boat or an airboat for access unless the water is high. The blind pictured was built at a time of high water and it is about 3 feet deep. The bottom is hard sand and grass.

I have a surface drive boat and will build a blind for it but it is rare around here. I will use it primarily where the bottom is real muddy and wading after ducks is a pain in the ass. Over half the duck hunters around here don't have or use a dog. I have a dog but will be able to use the boat to set and retrieve decoys. Picking up decoys with a hard sand bottom is easy, even for old guys like me.

What are you doing with your boat? I mean, you have to have a boat to get to the blind and you say most don't have blinds on their boat and your retrieving the birds with the boat, why not just make a pop up blind for the boat. If the boat is just going to be siting next to the blind. I'm just trying to understand what the advantage is. Is the blind on public water? What are the laws where the blind is built. Here, you can't own a blind on public and the Feds burn down or tear down blinds on the Fed public land.
QH's Paw

Postby RonE » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:49 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
RonE wrote:

What are you doing with your boat? I mean, you have to have a boat to get to the blind and you say most don't have blinds on their boat and your retrieving the birds with the boat, why not just make a pop up blind for the boat. If the boat is just going to be siting next to the blind. I'm just trying to understand what the advantage is. Is the blind on public water? What are the laws where the blind is built. Here, you can't own a blind on public and the Feds burn down or tear down blinds on the Fed public land.

Usually, the blinds built around here are in the known flight paths of ducks. Pull up to the blind in a boat. Hunters get out, get their stuff in the blind and start throwing out decoys. Boat driver takes the boat 3-500 yards away and parks it and walks back to the blind. After the shoot, pick up decoys while the boat driver gets the boat.

The way it usually works is like a monkey fucking a football. Someone's waders leak so they can't put out or pick up decoys or retrieve birds. Someone forgot to bring shells. Someone is left handed so they have to have this end of the blind. And on and on it goes until everyone settles down and starts shooting or drinking. Few people shoot out of boat blinds. I have a surface drive boat so that I can set up in places that it is too muddy and the bottom is too soft to wade. We'll see how it works this year.

Blinds built on public waters are not "Owned" by the builder but common courtesy dictates that you don't hunt blinds that you don't have an interest in...Maybe you didn't build it but you cut brush for it or you have a blind and share it with someone that has a blind somewhere else.

Once, awhile back around here someone was using a blind that a guide had built and they wouldn't leave (by law didn't have to leave) the guide sprayed the blind with charcoal lighter fluid and lit it rather than argue about it. It is often a delicate balance, but technically, the blind is on public water and belongs to whoever gets there first.
RonE

Postby Bufflehead » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 pm

The blinds we hunt here are built and hunted the same way. Only here, we register them with the county and the owner is the only one that can hunt it, they can't be closer together than 500 yards and you have to hunt from a permanent blind, only 125 boat/float blind licenses are issued.
Bufflehead

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:50 am

Bufflehead wrote:The blinds we hunt here are built and hunted the same way. Only here, we register them with the county and the owner is the only one that can hunt it, they can't be closer together than 500 yards and you have to hunt from a permanent blind, only 125 boat/float blind licenses are issued.

Is that per county?
QH's Paw

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:53 am

RonE wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:
RonE wrote:

Usually, the blinds built around here are in the known flight paths of ducks. Pull up to the blind in a boat. Hunters get out, get their stuff in the blind and start throwing out decoys. Boat driver takes the boat 3-500 yards away and parks it and walks back to the blind. After the shoot, pick up decoys while the boat driver gets the boat.

The way it usually works is like a monkey fucking a football. Someone's waders leak so they can't put out or pick up decoys or retrieve birds. Someone forgot to bring shells. Someone is left handed so they have to have this end of the blind. And on and on it goes until everyone settles down and starts shooting or drinking. Few people shoot out of boat blinds. I have a surface drive boat so that I can set up in places that it is too muddy and the bottom is too soft to wade. We'll see how it works this year.

Blinds built on public waters are not "Owned" by the builder but common courtesy dictates that you don't hunt blinds that you don't have an interest in...Maybe you didn't build it but you cut brush for it or you have a blind and share it with someone that has a blind somewhere else.

Once, awhile back around here someone was using a blind that a guide had built and they wouldn't leave (by law didn't have to leave) the guide sprayed the blind with charcoal lighter fluid and lit it rather than argue about it. It is often a delicate balance, but technically, the blind is on public water and belongs to whoever gets there first.

A lot of that makes since. What threw me was you said use the boat to retrieve birds, so I figure you gotta have the boat close. That's why I couldn't reason it out. Also, the info about it being a shallow wadable flat wasn't in the original post.
With a little more info it makes more sense.
QH's Paw

Postby Bufflehead » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
Bufflehead wrote:The blinds we hunt here are built and hunted the same way. Only here, we register them with the county and the owner is the only one that can hunt it, they can't be closer together than 500 yards and you have to hunt from a permanent blind, only 125 boat/float blind licenses are issued.

Is that per county?
Yeah but only two counties have these blinds laws. Unlimited permanent blinds licenses as long as you're 500 yards away.
Bufflehead

Return to Diver Duck Hunting Forum