How to setup diver decoys?

Everything Diver related.

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:04 am

We just got our diver decoys in December, and used them the rest of the season, so we still haven't quite got the hang of this diver stuff. We have 4 dozen cans and 1 dozen bluebills. What we currently do is create a large V of cans out in front of us with another line of cans coming in to connect to that to basically make three prongs. Then at the point of the V's we scatter around the bluebills and coots. How should we be setting them up?
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Re: How to setup diver decoys?

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:53 am

You're not really giving enough info for your question to be answered.
Here is a short and easy answer. Go look at the divers where you hunt. Now, repeat what you see.
There are as many ways to throw blocks as there are diver hunters.
For us, it depends if we are in open water from boats, including layouts or on a piece of land, like a sandy beach or point of some kind.
I would say the main point is to not put them to far away as divers will very often tend to hit the outside of the spread, like other ducks.
QH's Paw

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:01 am

QH's Paw wrote:You're not really giving enough info for your question to be answered.
Here is a short and easy answer. Go look at the divers where you hunt. Now, repeat what you see.
There are as many ways to throw blocks as there are diver hunters.
For us, it depends if we are in open water from boats, including layouts or on a piece of land, like a sandy beach or point of some kind.
I would say the main point is to not put them to far away as divers will very often tend to hit the outside of the spread, like other ducks.

Yeah we figured out not to throw them too far away quickly. The birds would be landing toward the far end of the V at about 70 yards and swim to about 50 yards and hang out there, never coming any closer. To be more specific about where I hunt, We usually set up on a lake shore, with about 12 square miles of open water to one side of us. One of our spots is a point, with the open water to the south. [EDIT] Let me refrase my question better. How would you guys be setting up/what are some setups you use. And should I stop intermingling my Bluebills with canvasbacks?
ducks~n~bucks

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:02 am

The squidworth is our secret weapon
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby gmcdiver » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:59 pm

When me and my buddies hunt long lines we use 4-6 li nes in a straight row. It looks like a connect four board. Its easy for us to pick upand when we shoot birds we can drive between lines to pick them up. :duck:
gmcdiver

Postby RonE » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:31 am

I would spread the decoys out in a couple of groups with the blue bills mixed with the cans. I would have a group of 6-9 cans pretty tight together and separate from the rest of the decoys to simulate a flock that just landed. Divers in flocks of a dozen or less seem to land together in a pretty tight group and then spread our as they swim around. We have found that groups with 3 to 8 feet between decoys works pretty well combined with a small group with about 1 to 2 feet between decoys. I would keep the coots separate and closer to the shore or shallow water.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:33 am

Throw them out randomly.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:37 am

Keel goes down. Tie a string and a weight on.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby triplecurl » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:23 am

aunt betty wrote:Keel goes down. Tie a string and a weight on.

Can you post a pic? It seems this might work to keep my decoys from floating away. I get tired of chasing my decoys all the time especially when it's windy.
triplecurl

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:44 am

aunt betty wrote:Keel goes down. Tie a string and a weight on.

Keel down? Maybe that's why I have a problem with birds flaring.
ducks~n~bucks

Return to Diver Duck Hunting Forum