Working for them today...

Everything Diver related.

Re: Working for them today...

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:26 am

Got checked by a CO yesterday and he was looking at the birds and asked if we had anything other than squaw and scoter (cuz reds and bills are everywhere)...said "nope, didn't even bring diver decoys".
He sorta chuckled.
But not too much.
Even though he wanted to.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:30 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Got checked by a CO yesterday and he was looking at the birds and asked if we had anything other than squaw and scoter (cuz reds and bills are everywhere)...said "nope, didn't even bring diver decoys".
He sorta chuckled.
But not too much.

What do you do with your squaw? Ive only popped one, and it wasnt very good to eat, maybe jerky at best. Which was kinda odd, the hoodies I ate this year were just as good as any GE or BB ive ever had.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:42 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:Got checked by a CO yesterday and he was looking at the birds and asked if we had anything other than squaw and scoter (cuz reds and bills are everywhere)...said "nope, didn't even bring diver decoys".
He sorta chuckled.
But not too much.

What do you do with your squaw? Ive only popped one, and it wasnt very good to eat, maybe jerky at best. Which was kinda odd, the hoodies I ate this year were just as good as any GE or BB ive ever had.

When they come out of superior they taste like prime rib
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:48 am

He sorta chuckled.
But not too much.

Did this one want to know which birds were yours?
JGUN

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:12 am

JGUN wrote:
He sorta chuckled.
But not too much.

Did this one want to know which birds were yours?

He was a little disappointed. Gene went last and once we were down to 6 TJ picked up his rig and hauled ass, figuring we'd be 20-30 minutes behind. The CO was in a 16ft Gator Trax with a surface drive...no way he'd catch TJ with that 250 E-tec in open water (or us either, if we wanted to run)
The CO said he'd been watching us for almost 2 hours, asked if we knew those "other guys"...said yep. By the time he got over to me, I had 11 birds in the boat - my 6 in one pile and Gene's 5 in the other. I think he thought he was gonna get us for a HUGE group limit...but the other 40+ birds were in a 25' DW 6 miles away going 45mph..... :lol:

He was pretty cool, really. He cautioned me about having a gun out on a cripple run with the motor running. It popped up once, and I motored over with the gun up - ready. It never surfaced again...I'm probably lucky it didn't, cuz I woulda shot it and he would've had me. It was the only crip we lost from our boat this weekend. If he'd seen me shoot the one that dove and then came out of the water flying while I was running 15mph on Friday, he'd of had my ass too. :lol: That was a helluva shot!!

And for the record: when we layout hunt, pretty much everybody shoots their own. But if we hunt from the big boats as a group...we just make it rain and let God sort them out.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:23 am

Poker chips again j
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:32 am

Yup
JGUN

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:37 am

Something needs to be done about the law in regards to cleaning up the cripples
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:37 am

We have a lot more than one per trip ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:51 am

Funny. We were having a civil discussion about that particular law, and I said "technically, I'm breaking the law now." And he looked at me funny and said "what do you mean?" And I said "those 6 ducks are mine. I killed them and claim them in my bag limit. If he (pointing to the layout) crips another bird, who is going to kill it???"
I went on "the law states the hunter with the killing shot has to claim the bird...so I swat his crip and I'm over limit...technically"

He said "technically true, but we typically give the benefit of the doubt. And as far as the motor running while chasing a cripple, same goes...as long as you aren't driving into groups of birds blazing away, you won't have a problem with me."

As I said before, he was professional and polite. He didn't bother with the vessel checks at all...checked birds, license, shells, & gun...when that was in order, he moved on.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:54 am

Oh. And we usually have more crips too...getting them close to the layout helps obviously, but some days are worse than others.

And after our conversation Thurs nite...I shot like shit on Friday.

You should know that I blamed it on you.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting Forum