Talking to a legend

Everything Diver related.

Talking to a legend

Postby don novicki » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:42 am

I found a phone number yesterday for John Kalash, the maker of the Kalash layout boat from days gone by. When I called I was shocked to find it still a working number and John himself answered the phone. I was in awe talking to him and finding out about his boats and life hunting. John said that he started to build his boats back in the 50's and he built 30 boats per month during his hey day. John is 80 y/o now and we talked for 45 minutes. As an ameture(?) Layout builder myself it was like talking to the guy who started it all and I was thrilled that he wanted to even give me the time of day. That said I plan on making a trip to Michigan to meet him and get some additional information about his life and his boats. Additionally I have talked to Paul Busik several times about getting his story down also. These guys basically built the layout industry and there is a story there that needs to be told before they are gone. Also both of them told me that they wished they hadn't sold their rights to another company that is currently building boats of their design. They told me in no uncertain terms,if you catch my drift. Lastly talking to John made me kind of sad as he lives by himself and is a widower. He has 2 daughters but from the sounds of it they aren't very close. What do you think, would a magazine like Wildfowl or American waterfowler be interested in something like this? I
don novicki

Re: Talking to a legend

Postby Rick » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:54 pm

don novicki wrote:What do you think, would a magazine like Wildfowl or American waterfowler be interested in something like this? I

That's why God made query letters: to find out what editors think of a story idea. Theirs is the opinion that counts.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm

I don't know but if I were to attempt to write a story for a hunting magazine I think I'd just send all the research I did to Rick and let him write it.
Just send him pictures and let him make up the story like Cronkite famously said. :clap:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby don novicki » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Ok I will start there. Thanks for the idea Rick.
don novicki

Postby Deltaman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:33 pm

aunt betty wrote:I don't know but if I were to attempt to write a story for a hunting magazine I think I'd just send all the research I did to Rick and let him write it.
Just send him pictures and let him make up the story like Cronkite famously said. :clap:

Yep, he not only kills ducks every day of the season, the dude is a "word smith" to boot!
Really enjoy reading his take on things, from reports to opinions, and damn glad he stuck around when so many left for DD.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 pm

My web spies have informed me that DD is just a mere shell of it's former glory.
Can't even look....so banned.
It'll be funny when the only two members left are Chad Belding (choade) and Jeff Foiles.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 am

Really enjoyed Jehler's take on things, and miss his input.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:48 pm

don novicki wrote:Also both of them told me that they wished they hadn't sold their rights to another company that is currently building boats of their design. They told me in no uncertain terms,if you catch my drift.
Tony Homer is a jackass. I think most people that have dealt with him regret having done so.
Bufflehead

Return to Diver Duck Hunting Forum