2014-2015 Season Log...

Re: 2014-2015 Season Log...

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Special Equipment: Of note here might be that we lost a Mojo somewhere between the boathouse and blind and had to replace it with another ninja rigged to disappear against the dark water from above with the wings shut off:

And maybe even that I never went to the bother of testing my modified X-flapper for specks.

But the big SE news is that my Mallard Machine modification:

while not "a game changer," certainly seems appreciably more effective. Albeit particularly for little ducks.

Curses: The boss' land and staff decisions really got my goat this year. Also got into my wallet, because I refused to take afternoon parties to spots I knew would disappoint them because the location and/or setup was crap. Biggest curse, though, may just be that I've done so much cursing, bitching and moaning about stuff beyond my control.

Kudos: Lots to be thankful for this season. We had a safe season with no near misses I recall, and while one dog, Dave's Diesel, was snake bitten, he was treated and recovered quickly. And though we weren't often covered up with game, there was usually enough in the marsh to help pass a good time, which wasn't nearly so often the case on our camp's ag lands.

Birds By Species: All told, we shot 1,111 birds of 15 duck and 2 goose species. That's near the low end of the eight seasons I've kept records for, but appreciably better for ducks than last year and probably only behind last year for geese because my afternoon options weren't such that I took many parties for them. One speck was banded.

(to be continued...)
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Photo Ops: I usually load this section of the wrap-up with photos, but am pretty disappointed with myself for neither mastering my current little camera or shooting enough shots that dumb luck would intervene and give me more to show off. But here, simply ordered from the first of the season to the last are a few luckier ones:

And, at long last, one of a fellow who tried to read this far - or my youngest grandson, Ethan, doing a fine imitation thereof:

(to be continued...)
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Lagniappe: When I'm in my right mind, we can usually have a big time whether birds are falling or not. When I'm not, I can be an asshole, regardless.

I'm especially thankful to have been in my right mind the morning the fellow on the right hunted with us this season:

Cal was four months shy of his 90th birthday at the time, and had been hunting with our outfit well before I signed on in 1985, so we've plenty of shared history, including some mornings when I was, er...less than diplomatic. But this year we did the best we could with what a man his age has left to work with, shot a few birds and had what would have been an altogether pleasant hunt if not for obvious pain of getting old bones and worn out joints in and out of boat and blind. An addendum to the log of that hunt reads:
Rick wrote:11/26 addendum:

Found the following from Ray in my e-mails this morning:

Rick:

Thank you for a great hunt today. Mr. Cal and I really appreciate the pictures that you sent us.

Also thank you for your patience with getting mr. Cal in and out of the boat and blind.

On the way home, mr. Cal decided that today was his last duck hunt. It was to much on him. He said that it was fitting that his last hunt be with you and me. It will be strange after 22 years not having mr. Cal there but I plan on hunting for another 22 years. See you in 2 weeks.

Asked that he tell Cal I appreciated the sentiment greatly but hoped to see him in two weeks, too.

We haven't seen Cal again, and I miss him nuisance and all. And I owe him big for making me think about the little role I get to play in others' lives. I ought to send them all home thinking that was a fitting hunt to quit on.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:07 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write, Rick.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Pretty near let finishing it get away from me, bt you're welcome.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:41 pm

I really enjoyed reading that, Rick! Thanks for taking the time. I'm going through withdrawals not having these logs to browse every day. Though we didn't set the world on fire at our place this year, I sure miss being out there. I'm still waiting on word from Adrienne about our fate for the upcoming season.
DComeaux

Postby simplepeddler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks Rick.......may we all, at some point in time, have the blessing of our own "Mr. Cal" and be man enough to know it........
simplepeddler

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:51 am

Rick, thanks for taking the time to share all of this with us. I certainly enjoyed following along. Being use to hunting the open water here in NC, it's interesting to see the species you all get and the conditions/terrain you hunt.
Bufflehead

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:19 am

And I thank you folks and Olly. The log is largely self-serving, but I've never managed to keep one through a full season without the pressure and encouragement of making it public.

simplepeddler wrote:...may we all, at some point in time, have the blessing of our own "Mr. Cal" and be man enough to know it........

Just wish I was sharp enough to remember and live the lesson. Have been blessed with scores of such teachers but somehow find most of their lessons need repeated time and again.

DComeaux wrote:...I'm going through withdrawals not having these logs to browse every day. Though we didn't set the world on fire at our place this year, I sure miss being out there. I'm still waiting on word from Adrienne about our fate for the upcoming season.

Wish I could tell you what's happening there, but I've not been by the camp in quite a while. Maybe today.

Meanwhile, I share your Jones. Hedge calls are soaking up butcher block conditioner as I type this, and I've hatched a new plan for marsh specks that includes redoing a mess of FBs, on which I plan to begin testing Bulldog Adhesion Promoter against Rustoleum's plastic primer as soon as the day warms enough.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:12 am

An excellent read and overview Rick :thumbsup: Really do appreciate you taking the time to share your duck world with us, and enjoy the way that you clearly articulate your feelings regarding same.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:17 am

What's the latest on the pup? Any name candidates yet? I'm gonna go ahead and throw 'Chesa' in the ring
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:43 am

Flightstopper wrote:What's the latest on the pup? Any name candidates yet? I'm gonna go ahead and throw 'Chesa' in the ring

The turn of conversation has inspired a new topic, "Looking ahead..." Check that and all of your questions will be answered.

Or not.
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed it, as well as our December visit with you and the crew. See y'all again this fall

Really like the pic of Peake with the sprig at the mudhole's edge, probably my favorite.
Darren

Postby blockmaker » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks Rick! Great writing.
blockmaker

Postby Bud » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:49 pm

Sir Rick, Thank you for taking the time to share your great times with us. At the very least, I can smile with you from long distance while reading your stories and viewing your pictures. Awesome.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:48 am

Well done Rick! Very well done!
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks again for the kind words, guys. The pleasure's been mine.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Came across these photos of the Mudhole's Jan 2012 edition and the high waters included. Seems like we had whitecaps at the small mudhole that day, stellar hunt though.

DSC07339.JPG

DSC07325.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Previous

Return to Rick 2014-2015