Field results on Saturday

Honk!

Field results on Saturday

Postby hunter1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Went out on a field that we got permission to hunt. We set out 6 dozen full bodies and three dozen shells. We were ready to shoot at 7:00 in our layout blinds, at 7:30 the geese started flying. We had a nice flock come right at us and then at about 50 yards out they flared and skirted beside us. I shot one down stone dead at about 40 yards as they flew by with a HEVI-Shot 2 3/4 B goose load. As I got up to retrieve my bird, it became obvious why they flared. We left a decoy bag out with a stack of ring bases sitting on it! Picked those up and waited for the next flock. A big flock came in and we each shot two birds. About ten minutes later, another flock of about a dozen birds came in and we got three more. We were picking up by 8:15 after sitting around for a few drinking coffee. It was an incredible day and I can't say enough about those Hevi-Shot goose loads we were using. Only two of the eight birds we shot were still alive when they hit the ground! I'm a believer.
hunter1

Re: Field results on Saturday

Postby Goldfish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Field hunting with dozens of decoys just sounds like so much work for the time you get out of it when the birds work for the probably average of 3 birds per person you can take.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 pm

hunter1 wrote:Went out on a field that we got permission to hunt. We set out 6 dozen full bodies and three dozen shells. We were ready to shoot at 7:00 in our layout blinds, at 7:30 the geese started flying. We had a nice flock come right at us and then at about 50 yards out they flared and skirted beside us. I shot one down stone dead at about 40 yards as they flew by with a HEVI-Shot 2 3/4 B goose load. As I got up to retrieve my bird, it became obvious why they flared. We left a decoy bag out with a stack of ring bases sitting on it! Picked those up and waited for the next flock. A big flock came in and we each shot two birds. About ten minutes later, another flock of about a dozen birds came in and we got three more. We were picking up by 8:15 after sitting around for a few drinking coffee. It was an incredible day and I can't say enough about those Hevi-Shot goose loads we were using. Only two of the eight birds we shot were still alive when they hit the ground! I'm a believer.

Damn you Hevi-shot staffers! Shaun, how many of you guys are there!
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm

hunter1 wrote:Went out on a field that we got permission to hunt. We set out 6 dozen full bodies and three dozen shells. We were ready to shoot at 7:00 in our layout blinds, at 7:30 the geese started flying. We had a nice flock come right at us and then at about 50 yards out they flared and skirted beside us. I shot one down stone dead at about 40 yards as they flew by with a HEVI-Shot 2 3/4 B goose load. As I got up to retrieve my bird, it became obvious why they flared. We left a decoy bag out with a stack of ring bases sitting on it! Picked those up and waited for the next flock. A big flock came in and we each shot two birds. About ten minutes later, another flock of about a dozen birds came in and we got three more. We were picking up by 8:15 after sitting around for a few drinking coffee. It was an incredible day and I can't say enough about those Hevi-Shot goose loads we were using. Only two of the eight birds we shot were still alive when they hit the ground! I'm a believer.

Nice. whats your location?
huntfishnv

Return to Goose Hunting Forum