Field calling. ??? What's first?

Honk!

Field calling. ??? What's first?

Postby Duplex Lover » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:27 pm

We call lakes ,streams, and rivers but never in a field.
Whats the first priority.? Were I want to do it is in wheat stubble and I know there is tuns of geese that fly over and near the field I can hunt but I have never seen any geese in that set of strips. We have several dozen shells and silhouettes to use, can we put out some of our floaters in the field too,Even a few ducks. How do we get them to stop and look if there flying by but a mile to the east or west ? It would be very convenient to be able to hunt 5 miles out of town...Any Ideas?
:popcorn:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: Field calling. ??? What's first?

Postby assateague » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Get a couple flags in addition to hailing them. Flags are the ticket when it comes to geese, at least in my opinion. You can make them- doesn't have to be any sort of high-dollar store bought flag.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 pm

assateague wrote:Get a couple flags in addition to hailing them. Flags are the ticket when it comes to geese, at least in my opinion. You can make them- doesn't have to be any sort of high-dollar store bought flag.

Flags are the ticket to pull them from a distance and get them to look, but by the sounds of it, the birds don't want to be in there. From experience it takes a very good goose spread and good calling to bring them down where they don't want to be, this late in the season.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Duplex Lover » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:31 am

:duck:
Two days ago I ran out to watch were the geese where going. LOTS of them where stopping two miles short, but many where going over. SO. We set up the next day but the weather had changed from slight breeze out of the north and cloudy to SSW Wind and clear and sunny. We put out about 150 shells and silhouettes and a kite and one flag. The first two small flocks came by and where sucked right in we got two each and thought ,LOOKING GOOD. BUT that was the last they started landing a mile short and we couldn't compete with a real flock of 300 geese, they all got sucked to the big gaggle in front of us. Bummer but how can a guy complain we had 4 on the ground and a great morning hunt with a five minuet drive home... :thumbsup:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby huntntech » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:47 pm

our limit is only 2 per person here, so by our limits you guys killed out. :lol:
huntntech

Postby Duplex Lover » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Lot a work for only two :o
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Return to Goose Hunting Forum