Fully Flocked Decoys vs. Painted Decoys

Honk!

Fully Flocked Decoys vs. Painted Decoys

Postby Tyler8492 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:33 pm

I am looking at the Zink Avian X Fully Body Goose Decoys. The Fully Flocked ones are a little bit more than the painted? Can anyone tell me the differences between fully flocked decoys compared to painted decoys and which one you would reccomend? Thoughts needed please! Thank you.
Tyler8492

Re: Fully Flocked Decoys vs. Painted Decoys

Postby assateague » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Honestly, I'm cheap, so take my answer with a grain of salt. I've never seen the need for flocked decoys. People killed ducks for many years before such a thing, and even given two groups of hunters near each other, one with flocked, one without, I'd say that the ducks will still go to where they're inclined to go, without regard for the actual "look" of the decoys (as long as they aren't shining in the sun). I'm getting ready to make a bunch of flat decoys out of plywood, painted in the barn, and they'll work just fine. In my opinion, there's far better things to spend your money on, maybe gas to scout a little more to find that spot where the ducks want to be, where you won't need the flocked decoys. Not saying they're bad, I just think they're unnecessary, unless you're rich like Aunt Betty.

And when flocked decoys start to look bad, they start to look REALLY bad. At least with all plastic you can touch up the paint quickly and easily.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 pm

I like flocked head goose decoys. You still have some flocking without the pain of cleaning a fully flocked. I don't know that the birds care so much, where you hunt is the biggest factor. If the birds want to be there or don't mind going there, then you will kill them. If they don't want to be there, it doesn't matter what you do, you aren't going to do much other than try and traffic a few strays into range. Before going with avian x, check out dakota. Dakota has the most durable flocking out there and is the most durable, realisitc decoy that I have used.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 pm

assateague wrote:Honestly, I'm cheap, so take my answer with a grain of salt. I've never seen the need for flocked decoys. People killed ducks for many years before such a thing, and even given two groups of hunters near each other, one with flocked, one without, I'd say that the ducks will still go to where they're inclined to go, without regard for the actual "look" of the decoys (as long as they aren't shining in the sun). I'm getting ready to make a bunch of flat decoys out of plywood, painted in the barn, and they'll work just fine. In my opinion, there's far better things to spend your money on, maybe gas to scout a little more to find that spot where the ducks want to be, where you won't need the flocked decoys. Not saying they're bad, I just think they're unnecessary, unless you're rich like Aunt Betty.

And when flocked decoys start to look bad, they start to look REALLY bad. At least with all plastic you can touch up the paint quickly and easily.

I think motion in the spread is more important than flocked heads. Jarbo will check in on this.

I have killed many a duck with cheap decoys. If u r gonna spend money on flocking do it on geese deeks for my 2 cents
Tomkat

Postby Tyler8492 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks, I was looking at the Dakotas. They look really nice and may look more into them.
Tyler8492

Return to Goose Hunting Forum