Best Full Body Goose Decoy Question

Honk!

Best Full Body Goose Decoy Question

Postby Tyler8492 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:08 pm

I am new to field hunting for geese. I have hunted over water and had some luck but a bunch of guys told me if I wanna kill geese go to the fields. I have seen many geese in many different fields and I am very excited to get hunting.

Looking at the Fully Body Goose Decoys I realized they were really expensive which I really dont care as long as I get good durable decoys.

What is your opinion and what would you recommend me getting considering the look, and durability??? Thanks.
Tyler8492

Re: Best Full Body Goose Decoy Question

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Dakota is the most realistic durable decoy. Big Foot originals are the most durable full body decoy made. You may also want ot use some shells and silohuettes for fillers. They are a cheaper and easier to transport alternative to full bodies.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:31 pm

I have sold all my paint-pealing green head gear decoys and switched to big foot. They aren't the most beautiful decoys in the world but when my guide in Canada told me his big foots get used twice per day 6 days per week for 6 weeks per year and were 10 years old - and the paint still looked good. I was sold.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:00 pm

3legged_lab wrote:I have sold all my paint-pealing green head gear decoys and switched to big foot. They aren't the most beautiful decoys in the world but when my guide in Canada told me his big foots get used twice per day 6 days per week for 6 weeks per year and were 10 years old - and the paint still looked good. I was sold.

I have been buying Bigfoots, Higdon and Dakotas. Bigfoots and Higdon are identical and the Dakotas seem to be doing good so far.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:09 pm

I fashion myself a semi-hardcore goose hunter. If I were to buy a new spread again it would be all Real Geese Pro Series 2's. I run 8 dozen Bigfoot's right now and I am getting tired of hauling a trailer around everywhere I go. I can fit 12 dozen silhouettes,3 blinds and 2 dog blinds in the bed of my truck and still get 15-20mpg. Hauling my trailer around full of full bodies I get 10-12mpg. Geese will willingly land in a spread of all silhouettes and another bonus is that you don't have to worry about frost and snow build up on them when the winter time comes. The trick to running silhouettes is to spread them way out.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 pm

3geese4me wrote:I fashion myself a semi-hardcore goose hunter. If I were to buy a new spread again it would be all Real Geese Pro Series 2's. I run 8 dozen Bigfoot's right now and I am getting tired of hauling a trailer around everywhere I go. I can fit 12 dozen silhouettes,3 blinds and 2 dog blinds in the bed of my truck and still get 15-20mpg. Hauling my trailer around full of full bodies I get 10-12mpg. Geese will willingly land in a spread of all silhouettes and another bonus is that you don't have to worry about frost and snow build up on them when the winter time comes. The trick to running silhouettes is to spread them way out.

If I was to switch to silos, I wouldn't be paying 200 a dozen for Real Geese silos, I would be making my own. Buddy over in VT just made 10 dozen silos out of luan for around $200 and he killed a ton of geese over them. While I am still young, I will be using full bodies(or until they become too expensive) Once I start to get to old for that shit, I'll switch over.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
3geese4me wrote:I fashion myself a semi-hardcore goose hunter. If I were to buy a new spread again it would be all Real Geese Pro Series 2's. I run 8 dozen Bigfoot's right now and I am getting tired of hauling a trailer around everywhere I go. I can fit 12 dozen silhouettes,3 blinds and 2 dog blinds in the bed of my truck and still get 15-20mpg. Hauling my trailer around full of full bodies I get 10-12mpg. Geese will willingly land in a spread of all silhouettes and another bonus is that you don't have to worry about frost and snow build up on them when the winter time comes. The trick to running silhouettes is to spread them way out.

If I was to switch to silos, I wouldn't be paying 200 a dozen for Real Geese silos, I would be making my own. Buddy over in VT just made 10 dozen silos out of luan for around $200 and he killed a ton of geese over them. While I am still young, I will be using full bodies(or until they become too expensive) Once I start to get to old for that shit, I'll switch over.

By the time we get too old for full bodies there will either be, no hunting allowed or some cool new vehicle that will make transportation of the full bodies easier.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

By the time we get too old for full bodies there will either be, no hunting allowed or some cool new vehicle that will make transportation of the full bodies easier.

No hunting for sure.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 pm

You can find Real Geese for around 170-180 on some sites. And still, 180 for a dozen geese isn't that bad. Beats the hell out of paying 400-450 for fullbodies.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:02 pm

3geese4me wrote:You can find Real Geese for around 170-180 on some sites. And still, 180 for a dozen geese isn't that bad. Beats the hell out of paying 400-450 for fullbodies.

Rogers has Bigfoot sales. $80 for 4. $180 for silos is crazy expensive to me when I can make them for about $20 a dozen if I used luan, which I wouldn't because I have a coroplast hookup.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:07 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
3geese4me wrote:You can find Real Geese for around 170-180 on some sites. And still, 180 for a dozen geese isn't that bad. Beats the hell out of paying 400-450 for fullbodies.

Rogers has Bigfoot sales. $80 for 4. $180 for silos is crazy expensive to me when I can make them for about $20 a dozen if I used luan, which I wouldn't because I have a coroplast hookup.
This is the way to go.
I did it. Made a couple hundred silos out of luan and builder's stakes.
Used 2-dozen shells and two FBD's to kill lots of Canada geese.
I started hunting so far south there ain't any Canada geese so I slowly let all the wooden ones go. Use them as yard ornaments and stuff. lol

Silos work when you have them in numbers. Geese are effin' stupid. :mrgreen:
You have to be even stupider to kill them...ie: laying in a layout blind when it's -5F. :thumbsup:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby 3geese4me » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:27 pm

There is also a new decoy manufacturer called "Big Al's Decoys". His silhouettes are $90 a dozen for the greaters, and $80 a dozen for the lessers. If money was an issue and you wanted to go the silo route I would be checking out his. I have a sample pack and they look pretty good.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:05 pm

3geese4me wrote:There is also a new decoy manufacturer called "Big Al's Decoys". His silhouettes are $90 a dozen for the greaters, and $80 a dozen for the lessers. If money was an issue and you wanted to go the silo route I would be checking out his. I have a sample pack and they look pretty good.

I would make my own. I have an unlimited supply of Corrugated Plastic. I've already made about 500 snow silos.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
3geese4me wrote:There is also a new decoy manufacturer called "Big Al's Decoys". His silhouettes are $90 a dozen for the greaters, and $80 a dozen for the lessers. If money was an issue and you wanted to go the silo route I would be checking out his. I have a sample pack and they look pretty good.

I would make my own. I have an unlimited supply of Corrugated Plastic. I've already made about 500 snow silos.

What would one have to do to tap into this unlimited supply of corrugated plastic?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:42 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

What would one have to do to tap into this unlimited supply of corrugated plastic?

Coke dealer next door. He's my supplier. I don't ask questions.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Hmmm...
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:49 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Hmmm...

It's pretty sweet though. Each sheet is 3' x 5' I get 3 big silos per sheet. At one point I had a garage full of coruplast scraps scattered all over. I just clamped about 10 sheets together and cut them on my bandsaw.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Lucky you, that's a hell of a deal.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:25 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Lucky you, that's a hell of a deal.

Funny thing is, I'm a Pepsi guy. Don't think I've drank a Coke since they got rid of the diet Vanilla Cherry
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

Funny thing is, I'm a Pepsi guy. Don't think I've drank a Coke since they got rid of the diet Vanilla Cherry

Oh, that kind of Coke. :mrgreen:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:29 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

LOL, why would a cocaine dealer have corrugated plastic? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

LOL, why would a cocaine dealer have corrugated plastic? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what I was wondering. :lol:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:52 pm

I'll admit I was too, but didn't want to admit it out loud.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 pm

:lol::lol::lol:
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

I really thought you were talking about drugs. :lol:

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Looks like I wasn't alone. :lol::lol:

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 pm

I guess, didn't think about it. Haha. Funny though.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:58 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:I guess, didn't think about it. Haha. Funny though.

I thought you were doing it on purpose. Ha
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:00 pm

I capitalized Coke!
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:I capitalized Coke!

You can't use that. "Coke dealer next door. He's my supplier. I don't ask questions." is what was originally said. Comes off a little shady to me!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Next

Return to Goose Hunting Forum