Opinions on best goose load?

Honk!

Re: Opinions on best goose load?

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:#2 is lethal out to 50 at 1400ish fps. Up the velocity and you get more distance, if the pattern holds.
not on Canada geese, will kill out there but isn't real consistent past 30ish, we use 2's a LOT for them, but honestly a good mid speed load of b's or bb is hard to beat at 40-50 yards

I can't argue too much with you on this because 95% of all the geese I shoot are within 30, but I have killed my fair share of stragglers trying to sneak out at 50. I can't imagine a goose neck and skull being much harder to penetrate than a ducks. Certainly more area to hit.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2

I can't argue either since I've only ever shot at a goose once. I also couldn't take it down at 20 being so dumbfounded to see them in the first place :lol:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:#2 is lethal out to 50 at 1400ish fps. Up the velocity and you get more distance, if the pattern holds.
not on Canada geese, will kill out there but isn't real consistent past 30ish, we use 2's a LOT for them, but honestly a good mid speed load of b's or bb is hard to beat at 40-50 yards

I can't argue too much with you on this because 95% of all the geese I shoot are within 30, but I have killed my fair share of stragglers trying to sneak out at 50. I can't imagine a goose neck and skull being much harder to penetrate than a ducks. Certainly more area to hit.

a 2 in the right spot of the neck or head will bring them down at 50 but the vital areas of the neck and head are so much smaller than the vitals that statistically the 2's are inferior at that range.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Snow geese have the toughest hide, feathers, or whatever it is out there. You can literally hear the pellets hit the bird and make a ripping type sound when they tear through.
not true
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:53 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:

Let me guess you only make head shots.

That's what I "try" for. Sometimes my lead isn't what it should be, I body hit em - they flip me the bird and keep going.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:18 pm

jehler wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Snow geese have the toughest hide, feathers, or whatever it is out there. You can literally hear the pellets hit the bird and make a ripping type sound when they tear through.
not true

This is the first negative thing you've said all week I agree with. I have never seen a snow goose half as tough as any canada goose.

AT I hear what you are saying. But I also want to have the best thing I can get for hunting geese in other places. I am putting good hits on geese that are out a good ways and not taking them out. Jarbo swears by tungsten. And I know all about shooting them in the head vs body shooting them.

Sent from an undisclosed location in central Kansas.
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Tomkat wrote:
jehler wrote:
not true

This is the first negative thing you've said all week I agree with. I have never seen a snow goose half as tough as any canada goose.

AT I hear what you are saying. But I also want to have the best thing I can get for hunting geese in other places. I am putting good hits on geese that are out a good ways and not taking them out. Jarbo swears by tungsten. And I know all about shooting them in the head vs body shooting them.

It wasn't a negative thing. He just knows what I was trying to do.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jehler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Tomkat wrote:
jehler wrote:
not true

i haven't said anything negative this week
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:25 pm

jehler wrote:
not true

I have made shots on snow geese and brought them down that I wouldn't dream of making on canadas or mallards.
goodkarmarising

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:43 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
jehler wrote:
not true

Don't try and play that off.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
jehler wrote:
not true

Really?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:46 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
jehler wrote:[quote="rebelp74"]Snow geese have the toughest hide, feathers, or whatever it is out there. You can literally hear the pellets hit the bird and make a ripping type sound when they tear through.
not true

Really?[/quote]
Really, really.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Strait Meat Honker!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:50 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Strait Meat Honker!

Good cover up!!!

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:23 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:
jehler wrote:
not true

I have made shots on snow geese and brought them down that I wouldn't dream of making on canadas or mallards.

The golden pellet.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:25 pm

That's what they should have named hevi-shot. $6 a shell, kiss my ass.
assateague

Postby jehler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 pm

I am loading jr's hevi right now for $1.25 is a load
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 pm

My Xperts cost me about 40 cents, and 30 seconds to throw them in the scooter at Walmart.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 pm

assateague wrote:My Xperts cost me about 40 cents, and 30 seconds to throw them in the scooter at Walmart.

The cheap Federals are much better. :thumbsup:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
assateague wrote:My Xperts cost me about 40 cents, and 30 seconds to throw them in the scooter at Walmart.

The cheap Fiocchis are even better.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 pm

No debate, just listen to Eric... he has a huge dick and #2 end of story!!!:)
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I hear the Rio blue steel is pretty good too. I have only tried Experts and the Federals.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I hear the Rio blue steel is pretty good too. I have only tried Experts and the Federals.

I use Feds and Fiocchi if they are on sale. Rio blues are fine too.

Boot, I'm a pretty "average" guy. Only buy 3 1/2" if they are cheaper than 3"

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Boot, I'm a pretty "average" guy. Only 3 1/2".

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 pm

:lol: :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol:

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

Keep dreaming Nuffer.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Keep dreaming Nuffer.

You said it...

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 pm

:):):)
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

I tried those, since I like Federal everything else, but they don't pattern nearly as well out of my 870. Not even close, actually. And for me, they don't seem to hold up as well to the salt water. After one hunt, the ones left in the box were rusty by the following Saturday, and those were the ones which were never taken out, just the spray and the air.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:26 pm

assateague wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I tried those, since I like Federal everything else, but they don't pattern nearly as well out of my 870. Not even close, actually. And for me, they don't seem to hold up as well to the salt water. After one hunt, the ones left in the box were rusty by the following Saturday, and those were the ones which were never taken out, just the spray and the air.

Interesting. Experts don't pattern worth a shit out of an A5.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
assateague wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Interesting. Experts don't pattern worth a shit out of an A5.

Your A5 is to fancy for experts.
Bootlipkiller

PreviousNext

Return to Goose Hunting Forum