Opinions on best goose load?

Honk!

Opinions on best goose load?

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:21 pm

I want to start out by saying I will NOT be shooting any 3.5 " mag shells. I am a 3" kinda guy.

I have done ok with Federal blue box BB shells. But I want to do better than OK. I have used a Carlson's Midrange WF choke with great effect.

WHAT shells do you reccomend to help me extend my killing range?
Tomkat

Re: Opinions on best goose load?

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Your not going to find it on the shelves :wink:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:54 pm

10ga with #4 lead, but it's illegal and poisons birds.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Tomkat wrote:I want to start out by saying I will NOT be shooting any 3.5 " mag shells. I am a 3" kinda guy.

I have done ok with Federal blue box BB shells. But I want to do better than OK. I have used a Carlson's Midrange WF choke with great effect.

WHAT shells do you reccomend to help me extend my killing range?

3 1/2 inch black cloud bb's. quit being so stubborn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:35 pm

HAH HA HA HA!! wOW YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY!!! :beer: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok, I am being serious. I dont hand load shotgun shells....It shall be 12 gauge 3" shells...ANYONE??????
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Kent tungsten #1's. Can't go wrong with tungsten.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Tomkat wrote:HAH HA HA HA!! wOW YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY!!! :beer: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok, I am being serious. I dont hand load shotgun shells....It shall be 12 gauge 3" shells...ANYONE??????

Ok 3 inch black cloud bb's
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Ever tried the Remington hypersonic #1 shot? I don't like it, but it might work for you.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:48 pm

Tomkat wrote:HAH HA HA HA!! wOW YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY!!! :beer: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Winchester Xpert #2. That's all I use to shoot geese.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:22 pm

assateague wrote:

#2 is what I use. Not sure why everyone uses BB..I think it correlates to small penises :lol:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you show up around here to go on a guided hunt with anything bigger than #2, they look at you like you've lost your mind.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:

#2 is what I use. Not sure why everyone uses BB..I think it correlates to small penises :lol:

Not to sound smart....but I ain't your average wing shooter. If you read the beggining, I said I wanted to extend my range. I dont have any water on my land but I get a lot of low flying geese that go overhead....

And my dick is plenty big enough.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you're talking when you're not actually goosing, but a target of opportunity presents itself? In your yard? Allegedly, I have been in the same position many times. What works best (and may have been said already), is a #4 turkey load. Seriously- who the hell is going to be in your backyard when you're doing this?
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Try a different choke and tungsten. Oh yea these also really make a difference; tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten, tungsten.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 pm

And with tungsten it's like burning a $10 bill every time you unload your gun instead if a $1 bill.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:55 pm

assateague wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you're talking when you're not actually goosing, but a target of opportunity presents itself? In your yard? Allegedly, I have been in the same position many times. What works best (and may have been said already), is a #4 turkey load. Seriously- who the hell is going to be in your backyard when you're doing this?

The range of #2 steel is farther than the vast majority of people can routinely hit. I know I'm a pretty crappy shot at 50 yards, and terrible beyond that. If you want to skybust some geese, follow Assateagues advice, but I'd recommend BB lead from Federal. Really puts the hurt on em.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:01 pm

#2 is lethal out to 50 at 1400ish fps. Up the velocity and you get more distance, if the pattern holds.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Anybody, $20 says this turns into a skybusting conversation?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:10 pm

rebelp74 wrote:10ga with #4 lead, but it's illegal and poisons birds.

It will also kill more birds than wounding them like steel.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:12 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:10ga with #4 lead, but it's illegal and poisons birds.

It will also kill more birds than wounding them like steel.

Ha! and boom goes the dynamite!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:16 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Anybody, $20 says this turns into a skybusting conversation?

It would in other places. I just don't see it happening here! :lol:
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:18 pm

assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Anybody, $20 says this turns into a skybusting conversation?

It would in other places. I just don't see it happening here! :lol:

No doubt.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jehler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Flightstopper wrote:#2 is lethal out to 50 at 1400ish fps. Up the velocity and you get more distance, if the pattern holds.
not on Canada geese, will kill out there but isn't real consistent past 30ish, we use 2's a LOT for them, but honestly a good mid speed load of b's or bb is hard to beat at 40-50 yards
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:31 pm

jehler wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:#2 is lethal out to 50 at 1400ish fps. Up the velocity and you get more distance, if the pattern holds.
not on Canada geese, will kill out there but isn't real consistent past 30ish, we use 2's a LOT for them, but honestly a good mid speed load of b's or bb is hard to beat at 40-50 yards

I can't argue too much with you on this because 95% of all the geese I shoot are within 30, but I have killed my fair share of stragglers trying to sneak out at 50. I can't imagine a goose neck and skull being much harder to penetrate than a ducks. Certainly more area to hit.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:

I can't argue too much with you on this because 95% of all the geese I shoot are within 30, but I have killed my fair share of stragglers trying to sneak out at 50. I can't imagine a goose neck and skull being much harder to penetrate than a ducks. Certainly more area to hit.

Let me guess you only make head shots.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Snow geese have the toughest hide, feathers, or whatever it is out there. You can literally hear the pellets hit the bird and make a ripping type sound when they tear through.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:37 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:

Fucking right. You aim for the body?

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:38 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Snow geese have the toughest hide, feathers, or whatever it is out there. You can literally hear the pellets hit the bird and make a ripping type sound when they tear through.

The few Ive shot flopped harder than teal.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:

Yea I shoot at their heads.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:43 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:[quote="Flightstopper"]#2 is lethal out to 50 at 1400ish fps. Up the velocity and you get more distance, if the pattern holds.

Yea I shoot at their heads.[/quote]

Ive seen some geese take a body shot at 20 yards and still have enough in them to go another hundred yards. Tough ass birds, but if you are aiming for the body you deserve to chase cripples.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Goose Hunting Forum