GVCC- XXX

Honk!

GVCC- XXX

Postby don taylor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:20 am

I just got my new Gander Valley Custom Calls XXX in the mail Saturday. After 6 seasons of always falling back on the same call, this one has replaced it on the lanyard. I've never run a call this small, with this kind of volume and range. It's actgually smaller than more than 1/2 of my duck calls, but sounds like one of my bigger short reeds and operates as easily as one. It doesn't sound like a cackler call, which most smaller calls sound like, to me at least. Mark Baca and GV put a lot of effort into making this call what it is and if you're in the market for an acrylic, it's worth a look.
GVCC%20XXX.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
don taylor

GVCC- XXX

Postby Westie25 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:26 am

I've never had a reason to own a goose call because we don't chase em here. But I must say its a sharp looking sucker!
Westie25

GVCC- XXX

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:16 am

I'm still looking for a good goose call even though I never get the chance to goose hunt. Feel like I should have one should the need ever arise. How much do these run?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: GVCC- XXX

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:22 am

I was always very impressed with my GVCC PCS. I just sold it, after finding a call I like a lot more, but that takes nothing away from GVCC- they are great sounding calls, especially considering how compact they are.
assateague

Postby don taylor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 am

What did you get, Assa? I'm a collector, but this one made my lanyard. Most make the shelf or retire to the shelf, I rarely sell any.

FS, I don't know how much they cost. I won it on facebook because Outdoor Gal, a DHC mod, signed me up and I posted on their wall. Shannon is a big GVCC fan, so is her husband.

There is no reason to not go on a goose hunt some time. You come up, spend a few days with me. We'll crush limits daily. No doubts. What else do you have going on early February?

Westie, I really like how it looks and it's size. It's smaller than many of my foiles, RNT and other duck calls. The sound out of this tiny short reed is pretty fantastic.
don taylor

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:13 am

I bought a $25 molded poly call on a whim. They're made by a local guy down here, and not really sold (as near as I can tell no website or Facebook). But this thing sounds great- almost as "goosy" as the Eastern Shoreman I use a lot. The GVCC PCS sounded really good in fields, but when I hunted geese over water (about 90% of the time) it sounded a little too shrill for my taste. Definitely a better "field" call than open water call, IMO.
assateague

GVCC- XXX

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:25 am

don taylor wrote:What did you get, Assa? I'm a collector, but this one made my lanyard. Most make the shelf or retire to the shelf, I rarely sell any.

FS, I don't know how much they cost. I won it on facebook because Outdoor Gal, a DHC mod, signed me up and I posted on their wall. Shannon is a big GVCC fan, so is her husband.

There is no reason to not go on a goose hunt some time. You come up, spend a few days with me. We'll crush limits daily. No doubts. What else do you have going on early February?

Westie, I really like how it looks and it's size. It's smaller than many of my foiles, RNT and other duck calls. The sound out of this tiny short reed is pretty fantastic.

Appreciate the offer DT but I'll probably be cashed out by then. We have a group booked to hunt with Blackfoot outfitter in Lubbock, Tx. Check them out, it's where swamp goes all the time apparently and should smack them.
Of I can swing the trip I'll holler at you.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby don taylor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:58 am

:thumbsup: Standing offer, my friend. For you or any other of my brothers here or elsewhere.

I can't seem to use a flute anymore, too much time with a short reed, I guess. I have a bad ass Foiles acrylic meat cutter flute... I wish I had reason to carry it.
don taylor

GVCC- XXX

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:59 am

don taylor wrote::thumbsup: Standing offer, my friend. For you or any other of my brothers here or elsewhere.

I can't seem to use a flute anymore, too much time with a short reed, I guess. I have a bad ass Foiles acrylic meat cutter flute... I wish I had reason to carry it.

If you ever want to shoot the Texas coast I might can hook you up as well
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:48 pm

don taylor wrote::thumbsup: Standing offer, my friend. For you or any other of my brothers here or elsewhere.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's so true with the flute. Some days, I'll switch up mid-sequence, but I have to be VERY careful when I do. If I've been blowing the short reed all morning, and then switch to the flute, 9 times out of 10 it instantly sounds like a whale dying or some such madness.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Don,
I think me and you are the only ones left that admit to using Foiles calls. My SMH has never left my lanyard. Does the xxx have the same feel as foiles?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:59 pm

I like my SMH's, they're great calls. This is every bit as easy and versatile, but in a much more handsome package that feels better in hand, IMO.
don taylor

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:07 pm

don taylor wrote:I like my SMH's, they're great calls. This is every bit as easy and versatile, but in a much more handsome package that feels better in hand, IMO.

Maybe I'll pick one up and give it a try. Wish they had some duller colors to pick from though.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

GVCC- XXX

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:22 pm

They do, I think. My PCS was black on black.
assateague

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:57 am

Shootable Goose posted elsewhere if you mention that you want one like Don Taylor's, you get free shipping. :o. Now, he's probably just being an ass, but if you want to at least get a laugh, you can always ask and see if it works.

If you want a color combo, send mark a message. You might wait a week to have him make it, but I don't think your color options are limited. Mark is a good guy and pretty down to earth, I'm sure he's got the colors you want. He knows not everybody likes bright calls. The bright insert on mine will either be in my hand or tucked inside my jacket if I'm working ducks.
don taylor

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 am

don taylor wrote:Shootable Goose posted elsewhere if you mention that you want one like Don Taylor's, you get free shipping. :o. Now, he's probably just being an ass, but if you want to at least get a laugh, you can always ask and see if it works.

If you want a color combo, send mark a message. You might wait a week to have him make it, but I don't think your color options are limited. Mark is a good guy and pretty down to earth, I'm sure he's got the colors you want. He knows not everybody likes bright calls. The bright insert on mine will either be in my hand or tucked inside my jacket if I'm working ducks.

Hopefully you will be workin' geese with it, but ducks will work a goose call too :D
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Return to Goose Hunting Forum