Short reed goose call advisement

Honk!

Short reed goose call advisement

Postby Wickedrex » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and had a few questions concerning using a short reed goose call. I've been waterfowling almost all of my life and have always used my Hoyt standard goose call until I recently realized what I've been missing with the short reed call. I've now picked up a call and have decided to learn to use one. This is where my frustration begins.

I ended up picking up two Buck Gardner Honker Hammer calls; one in acrylic and one in Diamond wood. I wasn't sure if there was a difference so I got both and just wanted to see which one I liked more. Both sound the same with the exception the the wooden one is a tad but more raspy. Anyhow, after watching tons of online videos and days of practice turns out I am TERRIBLE at using this type of call! I can't get any type of low end tone to produce that "growl" or "low moan" to save my life. Both of these calls have a very high pitch and I can't get a low tone like the one you have before a cluck. I also have a hard time get a crisp anything out of them. And my honk and cluck would probably scare birds off a mile away. I'm sure it is me but no matter how I blow into them, no matter what sound I produce into them, I can never really get the low growl or moan. Always just a higher pitch! I don't believe I can ever get these calls to sound like all of the calls I've heard in the videos.

Has anyone used these calls before? Is it just the sound these calls produce because I just can't see this call sounding any where near as realistic as the calls on the videos? I love my Buck Gardner duck calls but these goose calls are frustrating the living hell out of me! Should I buy another call and try that? I don't know anyone who uses a short reed call so unfortunately I have no mentor. Seasons getting close... Help! Thanks in advance...

--Jay--
Wickedrex

Re: Short reed goose call advisement

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Part of your problem might be the way you present the air but I think a lot of it is finding a call that blows easy for you. The best thing you can do is go to a waterfowl festival or something similar where you can try several brands and actually talk to an owner/employee for advice, not a prostaffer.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:18 am

First off, welcome to the world's greatest forum. Like tripod said, it's most likely air presentation. Don't blow with your cheeks puffed out like you typically would a resonant cavity/long reed. Use air you would as a duck call but no grunting, just a deep humming type of sound. Start out just trying to get a honk. Slow air climbing into faster air in the same note. Woooo-wiiit. Wooo being slow and drawn out, then wiiit being faster air in the same note. The wiiit should be quick and fast, it is what will break over the reed, making the honk. Also like tripod said, go to an expo, festival, store that carries calls you can try in store and find one you like. I'm not too familiar with bg calls but the honker hammer typically takes a lot of air. If you want, I can try and help you over the phone. PM me for my number. I'm at work right now and don't always have a signal, but you can leave a message, if you'd like.

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:18 pm

I have only tried a handful of brands but personally like the volume of air required to operate my Basin Waterfowl Calls honker call. It just works for my style. I also like that they are local to me and I can go see the owner for help if needed.

They're like women bud, find one you can deal with and fill it with hot air.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Hot air being key, learn to blow from the diaphragm.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Goldfish » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:39 am

From my experience the Canada hammers are easy to blow. It is a VERY different beast compared to your standard calls and it took me a few months of constant hammering on it to finally figure out how to get that low end on the front of the call. What finally helped me, was to do it the "wrong" way they say in bad grammar, and used the back of my tongue (like you are making a G sound instead of a T). Ends up being a goo-ek where as once you progress they say to use more of a too-it because it can be faster and sharper.

I doubt it's the call. There are plenty of birds killed with BG goose calls. Just keep practicing trying different things. And like they said, don't puff your cheeks, keep your stomach muscles tight, and I usually need to add back pressure with my hands to get the low end. I'll try and find the video that I use for hand position for ya quick.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 am

Found it. This is just a starting point. Once you make the right sounds, then you can expand and learn to move your on hand, but this is what should help get you going

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Return to Goose Hunting Forum