sillosocks ?

Honk!

sillosocks ?

Postby ea oneal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 am

never done any goose hunting iv killed some .we have them come into our dek,s once or twice a season .one of my girl,s want,s to try it .i must say goose hunting is is a no bull deal .you guy,s pay out the ass for your gear .much respect gent,s! i was thinking about ,say a doz full body,s and some sillosocks .any REAL advice much app. thanx
ea oneal

Re: sillosocks ?

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:27 am

Don't wast a dime on Sillysocks, the day when stuff like that would work under any but the most special of conditions is long past in Louisiana. Just get a few good speck decoys, learn to run a speck call and stay well concealed.
Rick

Postby ea oneal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:01 am

thanx man . won't be doing a lot it so did want to spend big buck,s. might be best to find a guide and just book a day hunt for me an the girl,s .maybe see what it,s all about and go from that. what load,s do you use .she shoot,s a 835 mossy.
ea oneal

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I'd go the guide route, also. A good goose spread costs an awful lot of money. You can usually pick up shells fairly cheap after the season, if you're in the right place at the right time. I think the last ones I bought were about $70 a dozen, which was darn near 60% off. I use #2, but there will be argument about this.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:02 pm

assateague wrote:I'd go the guide route, also. A good goose spread costs an awful lot of money. You can usually pick up shells fairly cheap after the season, if you're in the right place at the right time. I think the last ones I bought were about $70 a dozen, which was darn near 60% off. I use #2, but there will be argument about this.

#2 is unethical.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby ea oneal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:26 pm

why is #2 not cool ?we have killed all of the ones we shot with #3 3 1/2 black cloud . granted it was short shots . reason im asking about ammo is our spot as i say is on the river so for the most part all shots are close . but i feel that with a guide we will be in a much more open spot for shooting . may call a few guides get some info about ammo ,chokes and so on . just trying to get a heads up . most of the time i read up try to get a handle on something and just go for it myself . but as assa pointed out this can get costly kwick like. maybe if we try it and like it a lot ill drop some cash !by the way assa got my upper today hope to be shooting my ar tomorrow .been a fun project .thanx for the heads up on the lower,s :thumbsup:
ea oneal

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Good deal, brother!

Also, you may have fun, but remember there's most likely a 2 bird limit. It's sort of a Catch-22: if you're in an area with enough geese to justify coughing up the cash for a decent spread, you'll probably have some very quick hunts. If you don't have as many geese, you'll get to spend more time hunting for your 2, but then is it worth it to have all the decoys and such?

As for the #2s, that's all I've ever hunted geese with. As far as the guide goes, when I pay money, I damn well better NOT be getting longer shots than I get when on my own. For a couple hundred bucks they better be landed on my head :lol: I like #2s because we'll get the occasional geese passing through the marsh, and with that shot I can shoot ducks or geese, no worries. Regardless of what anybody says, #2 kills geese just fine.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:40 pm

A guide I knew suggested #2 shot because they would shoot ducks and geese and then you didn't have to switch back and forth

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Goldfish wrote:A guide I knew suggested #2 shot because they would shoot ducks and geese and then you didn't have to switch back and forth

sent from a phancy fone

Even less of a problem when you swat em.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby ea oneal » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:39 pm

talked to 3 guides today all say #2 in 3 inch is fine and for all the reasons you guy,s pointed out .we don,t have a limit on light geese and a 20 bird on snow,blue and ross .all that i talked let me know if the hunt was a bust i get my money back .i did not even ask, just something that is done and one you hunt geese and duck,s same day . price ain't too bad around 125$-140$ per gun.after looking at the amount of prep and cost of dek,s you guy,s have my respect .this is not a cheap pastime .it just look,s way to fun so i gotta try it at least once and getting to do it with my girl,s well that,s way good!!
ea oneal

Postby assateague » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I hope you have a horrible, shitty time. For your wallet's sake.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:28 pm

assateague wrote:I hope you have a horrible, shitty time. For your wallet's sake.

Hope you know I was joking about 2s. Its all I shoot. Pretty sure I suggested 2s tto Bowjoe a year ago:grin:

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby ea oneal » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:39 pm

thanx for all the info . and i get what your saying about the wallet .hunting geese look,s to be a very large outlay of cash .we see a hell of lot of them . we also have had them land in our dek,s 2 times and it was a bad to be a goose .that was what started all this.
ea oneal

Postby 3geese4me » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:45 am

What kind of geese are you hunting? I have more goose decoys than I have hairs on my head. My snow goose spread is 1800 sillosocks and my canada goose spread consists of 8 doz bigfoots and 12 doz silhouettes. I kill quite a few geese over these two spreads and don't really want to think about how much money I have tied up into it all. But watching geese routinely land in the decoys makes it all worth it.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Goldfish » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Just start small with used decoys off craigslist. Not many people get 20+ dozen decoys all at once, it gets there over time.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:23 pm

3geese4me wrote:What kind of geese are you hunting? I have more goose decoys than I have hairs on my head. My snow goose spread is 1800 sillosocks and my canada goose spread consists of 8 doz bigfoots and 12 doz silhouettes. I kill quite a few geese over these two spreads and don't really want to think about how much money I have tied up into it all. But watching geese routinely land in the decoys makes it all worth it.

Sure, but you're bald.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3geese4me » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:58 pm

And beautiful. But before I stray too far off topic I will say this. Getting 3-4 buddies to chip in will help lesson the cost of a new goose spread. I like hunting by myself so I bought everything. And if anyone wants to come along they can pay for gas or provide some food.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:27 am

ea oneal wrote:talked to 3 guides today all say #2 in 3 inch is fine and for all the reasons you guy,s pointed out .we don,t have a limit on light geese and a 20 bird on snow,blue and ross .all that i talked let me know if the hunt was a bust i get my money back .i did not even ask, just something that is done and one you hunt geese and duck,s same day . price ain't too bad around 125$-140$ per gun.after looking at the amount of prep and cost of dek,s you guy,s have my respect .this is not a cheap pastime .it just look,s way to fun so i gotta try it at least once and getting to do it with my girl,s well that,s way good!!

You probably have a 20 bird limit on snow's, blues and ross also known as light geese during regular season and no limits on them during conservation season. They should be lumped together under light geese.
goodkarmarising

Return to Goose Hunting Forum