Have a question?

Honk!

Have a question?

Postby Bowjoe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Took a buddy out and he is a noob and he asked me a question and I am curious to see what answer ya give.. If you were 1 bird from your limit flock comes in cup up come up shot boom a goose falls stone dead.. Birds fly off but 1 is still standing notice you clipped his wing do you let him walk you shoot him and chance it ?? Me I maybe wrong but I rather take him out and be wrong but to me do the right thing not gonna let him suffer..
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff..
Big Guys Best Pro Staff..
Bowjoe

Re: Have a question?

Postby 3geese4me » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:16 pm

I would shoot him and put him in a plastic trash bag. Hide him in the woods and take the rest of the birds home. Once you have the birds at home cleaned, I would go back and get that goose and take care of him. I hate seeing animals suffer as well.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 pm

According to green jeans, when you're done you're done. And I bet the reasoning yoy would get is: when you knew you were 1 bird away from your limit shooting into a flock where there was a chance to double is a questionable shot.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what a warden would say.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3geese4me » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Definitely not the legal thing to do, but morally I think its the right thing.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby 3geese4me » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm replying to my comment 3leg. Green jeans may give me a ticket but I know I couldn't sleep knowing I let an animal suffer.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby AKPirate » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:23 pm

3legged_lab wrote:According to green jeans, when you're done you're done. And I bet the reasoning yoy would get is: when you knew you were 1 bird away from your limit shooting into a flock where there was a chance to double is a questionable shot.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what a warden would say.

X2
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:24 pm

3geese4me wrote:I'm replying to my comment 3leg. Green jeans may give me a ticket but I know I couldn't sleep knowing I let an animal suffer.

I agree with ya. I'd still be happy to count it as a double though. :lol:
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:26 pm

If you haven't put an accidental bird in a decoy bag you haven't been duck hunting long. Either from a miscount or taking a cripple on your last bird I'd bet money it's happened to us all. Just be ethical about it and hope green jeans doesn't want to earn his paycheck that day.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3geese4me » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Olly wrote:If you haven't put an accidental bird in a decoy bag you haven't been duck hunting long. Either from a miscount or taking a cripple on your last bird I'd bet money it's happened to us all. Just be ethical about it and hope green jeans doesn't want to earn his paycheck that day.

Yep

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:16 pm

I've put an accident bird at the bottom of a tool box before. If it happens the birds coming home with me. Couldn't let myself leave it behind if I could have prevented it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby capt1972 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:19 pm

in the livewell under the life jackets
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:50 pm

I'm not taking that thing in with me. My feeling of ethics never includes volunteering for a few hundred bucks worth of federal fine just because of a bird. Eff that. And I sleep just fine.
assateague

Postby RonE » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:13 am

assateague wrote:I'm not taking that thing in with me. My feeling of ethics never includes volunteering for a few hundred bucks worth of federal fine just because of a bird. Eff that. And I sleep just fine.

X2

If you feel you have to kill a bird that you accidently cripple, go ahead or not. It will be food for predators or scavengers soon enough and they need love too. You usually get in trouble trying to bring home the extra bird and getting caught.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:40 am

Olly wrote:If you haven't put an accidental bird in a decoy bag you haven't been duck hunting long. Either from a miscount or taking a cripple on your last bird I'd bet money it's happened to us all. Just be ethical about it and hope green jeans doesn't want to earn his paycheck that day.

Or because they kept coming in and to hell with stopping a good hunt because of limits
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:24 am

I've done it, but it just goes on the pile with the rest of the birds. I've never been stopped after that happened, but in that case my plan has always been to honestly own what I've done and let the chips fall where they may.

Any CO worth his salt is going to look through your decoy bags or gear anyway, when he finds the extra bird, you're going to look like a sneaky, violating, butthole trying to get away with something and any good will or understanding he may have had is gone.

IMO, it's morally bankrupt to say on one hand "I accidentally crippled this extra bird, so the right thing to do is kill it" and then turn around and try to lie about or conceal what you've done.

You're either ethical, or you're not.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:09 am

We eat our mistakes. Morally, I might be fine with killing the bird to end its suffering and leaving it, as there are a lot of things out there that need it much more than I. But legally a mistake bird is not apt to be a terribly expensive one in our state, good agent might just confiscate it with a warning to be more careful, while a tough agent may send you to the magistrate for a max $250 fine. But leaving the bird is "wanton waste" that's going to cost you at least $500 and a year's lost hunting privileges.
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:19 am

assateague wrote:I'm not taking that thing in with me. My feeling of ethics never includes volunteering for a few hundred bucks worth of federal fine just because of a bird. Eff that. And I sleep just fine.
i agree
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:20 am

RonE wrote:

X2

If you feel you have to kill a bird that you accidently cripple, go ahead or not. It will be food for predators or scavengers soon enough and they need love too. You usually get in trouble trying to bring home the extra bird and getting caught.
exactly right. Less of the bird will probably go to waste than if you took it home and ripped the breasts out
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Olly » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:18 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I've done it, but it just goes on the pile with the rest of the birds. I've never been stopped after that happened, but in that case my plan has always been to honestly own what I've done and let the chips fall where they may.

Any CO worth his salt is going to look through your decoy bags or gear anyway, when he finds the extra bird, you're going to look like a sneaky, violating, butthole trying to get away with something and any good will or understanding he may have had is gone.

IMO, it's morally bankrupt to say on one hand "I accidentally crippled this extra bird, so the right thing to do is kill it" and then turn around and try to lie about or conceal what you've done.

You're absolutely right and in a fair world I'd be right there with you but we both know that this world isn't a morale one.

And to everyone saying leave it the predators will get it. You don't know that for 100% I'd rather take the bird home and know for a fact it was eaten then lie to myself just to feel better about leaving a wounded bird out there.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby flight control » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I hide the accident birds. Just don't run any stop signs on your way home.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Redbeard » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:28 pm

flight control wrote:I hide the accident birds. Just don't run any stop signs on your way home.
in your ass?
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Olly wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:I've done it, but it just goes on the pile with the rest of the birds. I've never been stopped after that happened, but in that case my plan has always been to honestly own what I've done and let the chips fall where they may.

You're absolutely right and in a fair world I'd be right there with you but we both know that this world isn't a morale one.

And to everyone saying leave it the predators will get it. You don't know that for 100% I'd rather take the bird home and know for a fact it was eaten then lie to myself just to feel better about leaving a wounded bird out there.
it'll get eaten

Redbeard

Postby flight control » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Redbeard wrote:
flight control wrote:I hide the accident birds. Just don't run any stop signs on your way home.
in your ass?

That's what I was reffering to officer.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Sometimes it pays to only kill one or two birds in a hunt like I do. Don't have to worry. :-)

I stuffed a mallard hen or 2 in the front of my kayak before in my early days before I could ID birds. Never could bring myself to leave it lay in the cattails.

Allegedly.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Olly, TPW did a study where they marked a mess of dead ducks left in the marsh, and by the next day some crazy percentage, like 80%, weren't just eaten but gone the next day. Believe you'd have to leave a bird in a very sterile place for something not to use it.
Rick

Postby RonE » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:29 pm

If my guys shoot or cripple an extra red head or pintail and it drifts off or swims away, I am not going to make the least effort to recover it. Duck hunting is expensive enough without having to take a day off for court and paying a fine for over shooting flying liver. If a duck that is shot an lands in an inconvenient place, I will spend my time looking for it to add to the strap. I don't believe in wasting game, but accidents happen even with the best of intentions. We had all but one red head five years ago and a group flew by. My partner said: "Shoot that lead drake." I did and five drakes fell stone dead which put us at double the limit of red heads. Every year in October I place a wreath on the spot we stomped them into the mud. I feel worse about shooting one and not finding it than accidently shooting an extra one. That doesn't mean that if I shoot one pintail and I can't find the next one that I am going to not shoot another one.

Shooting ducks is akin to shooting anything, fair chase is the concept that we should be guided by and being a sportsman means trying to recover shot game but accidents do happen and it is not in yours or my best interest to turn yourself in or report someone else if an honest mistake is made. Picking out a duck and aiming for that duck is the way things are suppose to happen, killing it and picking out a second duck is wonderful if you can do it, shooting a third is a thing that seldom happens on purpose, however, killing more ducks than one on the second or third shot is probably more common than making three honest kill shots.

This isn't something we should beat ourselves up about.

If you find yourself in an overkill situation, it is best to keep it to yourself, don't brag or draw attention to yourself. If you are going to be a sucker, be a quiet sucker.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Redbeard » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:49 pm

RonE wrote:If my guys shoot or cripple an extra red head or pintail and it drifts off or swims away, I am not going to make the least effort to recover it. Duck hunting is expensive enough without having to take a day off for court and paying a fine for over shooting flying liver. If a duck that is shot an lands in an inconvenient place, I will spend my time looking for it to add to the strap. I don't believe in wasting game, but accidents happen even with the best of intentions. We had all but one red head five years ago and a group flew by. My partner said: "Shoot that lead drake." I did and five drakes fell stone dead which put us at double the limit of red heads. Every year in October I place a wreath on the spot we stomped them into the mud. I feel worse about shooting one and not finding it than accidently shooting an extra one. That doesn't mean that if I shoot one pintail and I can't find the next one that I am going to not shoot another one.

Shooting ducks is akin to shooting anything, fair chase is the concept that we should be guided by and being a sportsman means trying to recover shot game but accidents do happen and it is not in yours or my best interest to turn yourself in or report someone else if an honest mistake is made. Picking out a duck and aiming for that duck is the way things are suppose to happen, killing it and picking out a second duck is wonderful if you can do it, shooting a third is a thing that seldom happens on purpose, however, killing more ducks than one on the second or third shot is probably more common than making three honest kill shots.

This isn't something we should beat ourselves up about.

If you find yourself in an overkill situation, it is best to keep it to yourself, don't brag or draw attention to yourself. If you are going to be a sucker, be a quiet sucker.
yea I read about this on Facebook
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 am

RonE wrote: I did and five drakes fell stone dead which put us at double the limit of red heads. Every year in October I place a wreath on the spot we stomped them into the mud.

RonE wrote: If you find yourself in an overkill situation, it is best to keep it to yourself, don't brag or draw attention to yourself. If you are going to be a sucker, be a quiet sucker.

Gotcha
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Your choice but me..hell no. I've been caught twice with accidental shit. First time was a teal, I lost it in the sun. Later, killed a mallard and when I picked up the mallard, that teal was right there. Fuck...seven and the gw was on the hill with a spotting scope. Damn.
Second time, gifted ducks put me one over on possession limit.
Fuck.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Goose Hunting Forum