10 guage for Geese?

Honk!

10 guage for Geese?

Postby drftwd » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:02 pm

I hunt in South Texas and my buddy swears by having a 10 guage for geese. We get them in at a descent range but he said some of the shots would be around 70 or so yards. I have seen him kill them with the 10 but is it necessary?
drftwd

Re: 10 guage for Geese?

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:03 pm

No
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bad17 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:04 pm

No
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Nope
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Knowing your effective range and pattern will kill more birds.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby DC727 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:08 pm

70 yards, no. 10 gauge, no.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
NuffDaddy wrote:Nigga ran that back like he had my VCR
DC727

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 pm

There's guys here who know their shit on ballistics/pattern density/down range energy, but I'd guess anything past about 50 yards and its a hail mary at the very best.
I've seen birds fall "stone dead" on long shots and its always a lucky single pellet to the head.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:19 pm

I say YES, and when the 6 gauge comes out next year, I would get that. He who puts the most steel up with the fastest pellets always wins. When any bird hits the water start saying that was the one I was aiming at and start running for it. If you beat the dog to the bird, it was meant to be your bird.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:26 am

!0ga might be necessary for geese in Texas, but on this side of the Sabine, I long ago decided even 3 1/2" 12ga shells were a waste of money. 1 1/4oz loads of 1s have become my choice for geese.
Rick

Postby bill herian » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:51 am

I like to take out the 10 gauge SxS once in awhile. Lots of fun to shoot and 50-70 yards is a layup with factory ammo. It has a fixed choke, don't know what kind.
bill herian

Postby 3geese4me » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:55 am

The last hunt of the year is always reserved for my BPS 10 ga. Kicks like an old mule, but absolutely drops birds like Mr. Herrian said.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby RonE » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:13 am

Probably not necessary for geese but there should always be room for another gun and how many of your friends own a 10 ga?

Another thing to consider is the fact that you could be invaded by Zombies and it will come in handy for keeping you and your friends and family safe.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby bill herian » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:46 pm

3geese4me wrote:The last hunt of the year is always reserved for my BPS 10 ga. Kicks like an old mule, but absolutely drops birds like Mr. Herrian said.

When I was little my dad would leave that 10 gauge leaning up by the back door of the garage. We would see them coming while watching cartoons and holler for pa to get outside. I watched him knock down geese from stupid heights with that gun.
bill herian

Postby 3geese4me » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:00 pm

bill herian wrote:
3geese4me wrote:The last hunt of the year is always reserved for my BPS 10 ga. Kicks like an old mule, but absolutely drops birds like Mr. Herrian said.

When I was little my dad would leave that 10 gauge leaning up by the back door of the garage. We would see them coming while watching cartoons and holler for pa to get outside. I watched him knock down geese from stupid heights with that gun.

I'd like to reload the almighty 10. All I can find here are BBB shot, I'd like to get a box of 2's to see how it does.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:23 pm

3geese4me wrote:
bill herian wrote:

I'd like to reload the almighty 10. All I can find here are BBB shot, I'd like to get a box of 2's to see how it does.

Same here. BBBs don't work well on ducks. Although I have a box of bismuth 2s that I am foaming at the mouth to try out.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:30 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
3geese4me wrote:
bill herian wrote:

Same here. BBBs don't work well on ducks. Although I have a box of bismuth 2s that I am foaming at the mouth to try out.

$5/shell?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:34 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
3geese4me wrote:
bill herian wrote:

$5/shell?

$2

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:41 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
3geese4me wrote:
bill herian wrote:[quote="3geese4me"]The last hunt of the year is always reserved for my BPS 10 ga. Kicks like an old mule, but absolutely drops birds like Mr. Herrian said.

$5/shell?

$2[/quote]
That's way cheaper than I thought. There has to be close to $1 worth of shot in a shell.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
$2

That's way cheaper than I thought. There has to be close to $1 worth of shot in a shell.

It's old discontinued shells. Found it in a local gun shot. Regular steel shells are over $1 a shot, hevi metal is close to $5 last time I looked into it.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:29 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
$2

It's old discontinued shells. Found it in a local gun shot. Regular steel shells are over $1 a shot, hevi metal is close to $5 last time I looked into it.

Got ya. That makes more sense. Don't know what weight a 10ga usually has, but bismuth shot is around $0.60/oz. Too rich for my blood.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Goose Hunting Forum