call needed

Honk!

call needed

Postby bigKahn2 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:45 pm

i new a new honker call! what you all recommend? im 17 and newer into calling not the best caller, and don't want to spend a fortune
bigKahn2

Re: call needed

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. Don't know a lot about goose calls but several people on here will help you out.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm not much of a goose caller. But I blew a shore thing a month or so ago for the first time. By far the easiest and best sounding honker call I've ever ran. Kinda pricy though...I think around $150. Right now I use the primos honky tonk and I think it's ok for a $25 call.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Lord knows I have much "better" Canada calls than I need, but if money's an issue, I'd suggest getting a good poly carbonate, like RNT/Quackhead's Goosezilla, and learning to tune and run it, which RNT's Shawn Stahl also has free Youtube videos covering, as do others.
Rick

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:35 pm

I would also look into a poly Sentinel. from Southern Game Calls.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby sws002 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:37 pm

For an inexpensive call that sounds good, I always direct people towards the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II or the Zink PC-1. Usually run about $30 and sound nearly as good as most acrylics. I had the honky tonk and I just can't get anything deep out of it and it feels like it's made out of recycled plastic silverware.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Fuck these guys. Go all out and get the most expensive call you can get. All of the guys here with crazy amounts of money into their duck calls kill the most ducks.....

Pretty sure that concept works for geese too.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby sws002 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Fuck these guys. Go all out and get the most expensive call you can get. All of the guys here with crazy amounts of money into their duck calls kill the most ducks.....

Paging Duck Hammer!
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:05 pm

sws002 wrote:For an inexpensive call that sounds good, I always direct people towards the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II or the Zink PC-1. Usually run about $30 and sound nearly as good as most acrylics. I had the honky tonk and I just can't get anything deep out of it and it feels like it's made out of recycled plastic silverware.

That it does. Cheapest feeling call I've ever had in my hands. I liked it better than the goosezilla though. Wasn't a fan of that one.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:06 pm

sws002 wrote:For an inexpensive call that sounds good, I always direct people towards the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II or the Zink PC-1. Usually run about $30 and sound nearly as good as most acrylics. I had the honky tonk and I just can't get anything deep out of it and it feels like it's made out of recycled plastic silverware.

But I could run the honkytonk, it just winded me.

Canada Hammer2 is a good low priced call
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:40 pm

What have you used, what did you like, and what's your ball park that you want to spend?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Bay country shore thing, best short reed on the market IMO. Easy to run, little air required and can literally do it all.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 pm

sws002 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Fuck these guys. Go all out and get the most expensive call you can get. All of the guys here with crazy amounts of money into their duck calls kill the most ducks.....

Paging Duck Hammer!

Motherfucker!
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:39 am

I once won $20 from a buddy by calling in our (then 2-per) Ohio Valley Canada limits with a 25-cent garage sale squeeze bulb bicycle horn, then did it again the next morning, just because I could. Pitched it after that, though, because it seemed disrespectful.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:48 am

While I'm here, though, I'll repeat the importance of learning to tune your own calls. If you can't do that, you'll never know how well any call might really suit you. Little doubt the percentage of calls sold, traded or pitched just because the guy behind them had a different physiology, methodology and/or tone preferences than whoever tuned them at the shop and didn't know how to retune them to better suit his own is way the hey up there.
Rick

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:49 am

Rick wrote:While I'm here, though, I'll repeat the importance of learning to tune your own calls. If you can't do that, you'll never know how well any call might really suit you. Little doubt the percentage of calls sold, traded or pitched just because the guy behind them had a different physiology, methodology and/or tone preferences than whoever tuned them at the shop and didn't know how to retune them to better suit his own is way the hey up there.

This is me. I'm a one call kind of person.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby bigKahn2 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:03 pm

thanks guys helped a lot :clap:
bigKahn2

Postby sws002 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:13 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

That it does. Cheapest feeling call I've ever had in my hands. I liked it better than the goosezilla though. Wasn't a fan of that one.

Ya I'm not a huge fan of the RNT goose calls, only one I've ever cared for is the G3 and I still wouldn't spend the money for one. Buck Gardner is hard to beat for an entry level call that still sounds good, duck or goose. Same goes for Zink. That being said, I run a GK LG-1, and I pretty well suck at goose calling. I just buy more decoys and make moans and short clucks while everyone else winds themselves.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Return to Goose Hunting Forum