New to hunting geese

Honk!

Re: New to hunting geese

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:28 pm

mstuck88 wrote:Well I tried hunting ducks last year but i wasn't very successful at it. And I want to hunt for both this year. I live in the Lancaster Lebanon area of Pennsylvania. Wasn't very luck last year. I didn't even see a duck till the day after duck season. I found a spot that is pretty good but it is on public land and I don't know how deep the water is. What would i do in a situation like that. Just wait for them to blow to one side of the bank. Also what gear am I going to need this year for the early season for geese. Is it better to field hunt in the early season or is it better to hunt over water. I just hunted over water last year. Thanks for all the replies.

You are kinds far from me I am in N.E Ohio
as for deep water take a fishing pole with a BIG heavyweighted hook ,small boat ,dog .
firstflight

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:29 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
mstuck88 wrote:Well I tried hunting ducks last year but i wasn't very successful at it. And I want to hunt for both this year. I live in the Lancaster Lebanon area of Pennsylvania. Wasn't very luck last year. I didn't even see a duck till the day after duck season. I found a spot that is pretty good but it is on public land and I don't know how deep the water is. What would i do in a situation like that. Just wait for them to blow to one side of the bank. Also what gear am I going to need this year for the early season for geese. Is it better to field hunt in the early season or is it better to hunt over water. I just hunted over water last year. Thanks for all the replies.

P.S.
I am also using a browning A5. i f there is a good shot to use or a good choke to use let me know.

I'm up in NY if you want to make a trip up. We could use your limit to show you how to do it all.

Where at in NY .
firstflight

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:47 pm

firstflight wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

P.S.
I am also using a browning A5. i f there is a good shot to use or a good choke to use let me know.

I'm up in NY if you want to make a trip up. We could use your limit to show you how to do it all.

Where at in NY .

All the way up in ogdensburg on the Canadian border.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:12 pm

RonE wrote:I could give you some tips on how to make that Bone Nelly a lot more pretty.

Don't nothin' make a Benelli prettier than hard use.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

P.S.

If at all possible, take Eric up on this, as nothing will put you on the fast track quicker than experience with someone who knows the ropes.
Rick

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
firstflight wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

P.S.

Where at in NY .

All the way up in ogdensburg on the Canadian border.

I shot black ducks from just a little North of you .
Do you guy get tons of old long tails up there .
firstflight

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Lots of old squaws along the St. Lawrence, but all the long tails are sitting on them at the USFWS headquarters.
Rick

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Rick wrote:Lots of old squaws along the St. Lawrence, but all the long tails are sitting on them at the USFWS headquarters.

Nice .
firstflight

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:33 pm

Rick wrote:Lots of old squaws along the St. Lawrence, but all the long tails are sitting on them at the USFWS headquarters.

No squaw where I am, but go 30 miles east and you could fill your limit with them every day. Never really understood it but it is what it is. My area is typically just golden eye, buffies, blacks, mallards and bluebill for the St Lawrence. Swamps and ponds hold just about everything as far as puddlers go
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:35 pm

When I said east, I meant west. Towards the great lakes.

ff, where'd you hunt in Canada?
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:When I said east, I meant west. Towards the great lakes.

ff, where'd you hunt in Canada?

I shot it in Ohio banded from just north of you .can't remember off the top of my head .I will go back and look at my slip .
firstflight

Postby mstuck88 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Is early season better to field hunt or water hunt?
mstuck88

Postby 3geese4me » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:12 pm

mstuck88 wrote:Is early season better to field hunt or water hunt?

I like hunting fields, but watch or listen to other hunters in your area. If everyone is hunting a field, switch it up and hunt the water. Just don't hunt the roost. So try and find a loafing spot. Look for grain or hay fields that meet up to a pond and hunt that if birds are nearby.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby mstuck88 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Can you hunt with a dozen decoys for a field hunt?
mstuck88

Postby Goldfish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Early season it might be better with only a dozen
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:59 pm

mstuck88 wrote:Can you hunt with a dozen decoys for a field hunt?

Yes sir , put some big steps between them to spread the decoys out .
firstflight

Postby 3geese4me » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 pm

mstuck88 wrote:Can you hunt with a dozen decoys for a field hunt?

Yep, but I run 8-10 dozen from season start to close.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Previous

Return to Goose Hunting Forum