New to hunting geese

Honk!

New to hunting geese

Postby mstuck88 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:54 pm

This year I am going to be hunting geese for the first time and I have done a lot of homework. But one think i cant find is if you dont kill them with the first shot, do you shoot them again or do you do something else? Thanks
mstuck88

Re: New to hunting geese

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Keep shooting at the same bird until it is on the ground. And if it hits the ground make sure it stays there. If you can get your hands on them just wring the neck and save a shell. If they are still lively turkey shoot em.
They are tough birds and can take some shot and still keep going.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firstflight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:51 pm

You shoot them till they look like this .
0913100806a.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
firstflight

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Grab your 3 iron, and go to town...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:54 pm

firstflight wrote:You shoot them till they look like this .
0913100806a.jpg

I prefer to shoot all of my birds in the face rather than waste breast meat.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby firstflight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
0913100806a.jpg

A buddy shot that a 2 feet in the air.
firstflight

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 pm

firstflight wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
0913100806a.jpg

I see that! Was just letting you know I always shoot them in the lips rather than body shot.:lol::lol::lol:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby firstflight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
firstflight wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
0913100806a.jpg

I see that! Was just letting you know I always shoot them in the lips rather than body shot.:lol::lol::lol:

Yep me too .
firstflight

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:11 pm

mstuck88 wrote:This year I am going to be hunting geese for the first time and I have done a lot of homework. But one think i cant find is if you dont kill them with the first shot, do you shoot them again or do you do something else? Thanks

Do you already hunt ducks?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:17 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
mstuck88 wrote:This year I am going to be hunting geese for the first time and I have done a lot of homework. But one think i cant find is if you dont kill them with the first shot, do you shoot them again or do you do something else? Thanks

Its his first year hunting geese. Can we stay on topic please?
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby RonE » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:15 pm

mstruck88............Welcome to the Waterfowl Forum dot Net. Shooting geese is like shooting anything else. I might caution you that people tend to shoot at geese that are out on the edge of maximum range because of their large size and that is probably the hardest thing about goose hunting. Let them get close enough.

Tell us about yourself and where you live and hunt. Pretty easy going around here but some of our guys are liars and don't really know what they are talking about....Some of them don't even hunt but two or three times a year. Some of them are bull shitters too, so between the liars, bullshitters and just plain stupid people around here pay close attention to me, Red, Assa and Rex if you want the straight dope about things. The way people lie, you would think that this was a fishing forum.

All joking aside and the above is a joke, we have a great bunch of experienced guys and some guys just learning and it is a fun place to hang in the interweb that was invented by some political jerk that was also a vise president but you wouldn't know it by looking at him.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby RonE » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:18 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

mstruck88...........See what I told you, Eric is already trying to get the subject off the topic.........Just shoot them till they drop.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:25 pm

RonE wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

mstruck88...........See what I told you, Eric is already trying to keep the subject ON topic.........Just shoot them till they drop.

Fify Ron
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

I was just curious what he does if a duck doesnt fall after the first shot.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:36 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

I was just curious what he does if a duck doesnt fall after the first shot.

I was kind of curious as to what he was thinking by "do something else"
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:05 am

Geese are tough, and a great many "dead" ones fly off. Keep shooting as long as they have their wings under them.

And be sure to both reload and put some extra shells in your pocket before trying to run down cripples. Don't be this guy:

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:17 am

Oh, and welcome to the monkey house.
Rick

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:35 am

Rick wrote:

Geese are tough, and a great many "dead" ones fly off. Keep shooting as long as they have their wings under them.

And be sure to both reload and put some extra shells in your pocket before trying to run down cripples. Don't be this guy:

Does he take commands well , can he mark good .
firstflight

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 am

firstflight wrote:Does he take commands well , can he mark good .

From my log:

Dog(s) and Dog Work: Left Peake in the truck in deference to Garret's fear a dog might spook birds. (He's not hunted with the coyote and just didn't know he'd lay still with nothing but his nose and eyeballs showing.) And he came to regret that move.
Photo Ops: Wish the levee hadn't been in the way of our first round of "Garret the dog" action, as he left the blind with one shell in the gun, fluffed that shot at his crip, and the chase was on. Ending when he dove on it:
And even when my first fell stone dead, I wouldn't let him forget who wanted to be our dog, "Garret, fetch":
Rick

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:11 am

Rick wrote:
firstflight wrote:Does he take commands well , can he mark good .

From my log:

Dog(s) and Dog Work: Left Peake in the truck in deference to Garret's fear a dog might spook birds. (He's not hunted with the coyote and just didn't know he'd lay still with nothing but his nose and eyeballs showing.) And he came to regret that move.
Photo Ops: Wish the levee hadn't been in the way of our first round of "Garret the dog" action, as he left the blind with one shell in the gun, fluffed that shot at his crip, and the chase was on. Ending when he dove on it:
And even when my first fell stone dead, I wouldn't let him forget who wanted to be our dog, "Garret, fetch":

BAWHAHAHAHA

A great dog in the field is priceless. Worth there weight in gold .
I would be lost without mine .they find bird that would otherwise be lost in the brush.and on the water hunts why even do it without a dog .
firstflight

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 am

Because a poor one will cost, rather than save, you birds. That particular pit even has a built-in dog blind the coyote can be seen in here:

But it was Garret's morning blind that year, and he'd apparently had bad luck keeping his dog hidden there, and I deferred to his judgement. And just may have enjoyed getting to rib him about it more than watching the coyote make it easy.
Rick

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Rick wrote:Because a poor one will cost, rather than save, you birds. That particular pit even has a built-in dog blind the coyote can be seen in here:

But it was Garret's morning blind that year, and he'd apparently had bad luck keeping his dog hidden there, and I deferred to his judgement. And just may have enjoyed getting to rib him about it more than watching the coyote make it easy.

Awesome picture .
we don't use pit blinds here much .
firstflight

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:24 pm

That shot shows how well the blind hides a dog that behaves, but this is my favorite of a dog in it:

Though we do most of our hunting from pits, that one was inherited and our camp owner is much to cheap to buy them with dog boxes. Mostly they lay outside the pits:

or sit when the cover is high:
Rick

Postby Duckdog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:27 pm

That first pic is a framer for sure!
Duckdog

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
0913100806a.jpg

Eric actually hunts geese with a red rider and makes head shots only.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Woody wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
0913100806a.jpg

Woody gets it. :lol::lol::lol:
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby mstuck88 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Well I tried hunting ducks last year but i wasn't very successful at it. And I want to hunt for both this year. I live in the Lancaster Lebanon area of Pennsylvania. Wasn't very luck last year. I didn't even see a duck till the day after duck season. I found a spot that is pretty good but it is on public land and I don't know how deep the water is. What would i do in a situation like that. Just wait for them to blow to one side of the bank. Also what gear am I going to need this year for the early season for geese. Is it better to field hunt in the early season or is it better to hunt over water. I just hunted over water last year. Thanks for all the replies.

P.S.
I am also using a browning A5. i f there is a good shot to use or a good choke to use let me know.
mstuck88

Postby RonE » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Rick wrote:That shot shows how well the blind hides a dog that behaves, but this is my favorite of a dog in it:

Though we do most of our hunting from pits, that one was inherited and our camp owner is much to cheap to buy them with dog boxes. Mostly they lay outside the pits:

or sit when the cover is high:

I could give you some tips on how to make that Bone Nelly a lot more pretty.
RonE

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:26 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Woody wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
0913100806a.jpg

Woody gets it. :lol::lol::lol:

BEEL does the same thing.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:28 pm

mstuck88 wrote:Well I tried hunting ducks last year but i wasn't very successful at it. And I want to hunt for both this year. I live in the Lancaster Lebanon area of Pennsylvania. Wasn't very luck last year. I didn't even see a duck till the day after duck season. I found a spot that is pretty good but it is on public land and I don't know how deep the water is. What would i do in a situation like that. Just wait for them to blow to one side of the bank. Also what gear am I going to need this year for the early season for geese. Is it better to field hunt in the early season or is it better to hunt over water. I just hunted over water last year. Thanks for all the replies.

P.S.
I am also using a browning A5. i f there is a good shot to use or a good choke to use let me know.

I'm up in NY if you want to make a trip up. We could use your limit to show you how to do it all.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Goose Hunting Forum