Unexpected Success

Honk!

Unexpected Success

Postby Baysider » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 pm

I took a half day off on Friday to do a little goose hunting with my nieghbor. We finally picked up some land right near our house and didnt have to drive an hour to hunt. Which was very nice. We've been watching the resident geese pile into a 80 acre field right next to the propoerty where we got permission. The owner of that land said he liked watching them too much to allow us to shoot. Our new property is mostly wooded but has two 6 acre fields split by a hedge row. I thought we MIGHT have a chance at maybe pulling a few singles or small groups. So we gave it a try. We got set up with a dozen FB's and two dozen shells, and sat, and sat, and sweated in the heat. It was 83 that day and man is a layout blind hot in the sun. The geese had been trading in and out fo there all day just previous to our hunt. Not Friday. They waited until 5 to start moving. A few went into the big field and my hopes got even lower. We all know how hard it is to comepete with live birds next to you. We had a flock skirt the back corner of our field. A little flagging and light calling and they locked their wings and banked right into our spread. I couldnt believe it. After all that waiting we had 40 geese finishing at our feet!! I shot a double and my buddy got one. This was his first hunt from a layout blind. He got tangled up in the thing and had some trouble getting used to it. :lol: About 10 minutes later we had another flock do the same thing. In they come and he got a double this time and I got a single. After that the birds were heading to the roost and not hitting the fields. It was a great hunt, and my friend's first canada geese. He's shot hundreds of snows in the jersey marshes but never canada geese. So it was a great day. We hope to get back on them after work one day this week.
Here's my take.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Re: Unexpected Success

Postby assateague » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Bastard! Just kidding- I'm always jealous of goose pics. Last night and all day today geese have been EVERYWHERE, whenever I look up. It's crazy how they just show show up after the season. And people that "just like to watch them" amaze me. Different strokes, I guess.
assateague

Postby Baysider » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:58 pm

Tomorrow is our last day. We're hoping to get one more good shoot in. I take it the plond didn't work?
Baysider

Postby assateague » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:48 pm

It never got a chance to work. Geese flew within eyesight of the plond literally never. I saw no geese for two weeks. Now they're like locusts.
assateague

Postby Baysider » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 am

That sucks. Im lucky enough to have a golf course across the creek form me so we always ahve geese. One day Im going to say heck with the nieghbors, line up 3 auto's and have one heck of a shoot from my back porch. :lol:
Baysider

Postby JGUN » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Tell the neighbors they won a weekend getaway and split the cost with your buddies. Then blast away.:grin:
JGUN

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:19 pm

assateague wrote:It never got a chance to work. Geese flew within eyesight of the plond literally never. I saw no geese for two weeks. Now they're like locusts.

I would set up and see if you can get them to land. Then shoot the on the ground like a true sportsman.

Had 13 turkeys walk by the spread this weekend. One of them being a HUGE tom...so hard to not pull the trigger.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Looks like a good time there Eric. You've had a helluva early season huh. This typical?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Redbeard wrote:Looks like a good time there Eric. You've had a helluva early season huh. This typical?

Are there multiple Erics' here?

I'm gonna answer anyways. Our season is usually better. Never had a lot of birds moving until the last two weekends. Last year we shot A LOT of birds, more than I really wanted honestly. Looking into my journal I had 92 birds last early season, the group of 4 of us had 382. Happy with what we have had so far, think I've only had to clean 30 birds so far. I'm just really pumped for ducks, got a lot of recipes I'm wanting to try out. Do you guys have an early season out west? Really want to hunt out that way before it gets too late.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Looks like a good time there Eric. You've had a helluva early season huh. This typical?

Are there multiple Erics' here?

I'm gonna answer anyways. Our season is usually better. Never had a lot of birds moving until the last two weekends. Last year we shot A LOT of birds, more than I really wanted honestly. Looking into my journal I had 92 birds last early season, the group of 4 of us had 382. Happy with what we have had so far, think I've only had to clean 30 birds so far. I'm just really pumped for ducks, got a lot of recipes I'm wanting to try out. Do you guys have an early season out west? Really want to hunt out that way before it gets too late.

my bad Eric I thought this was your thread
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Baysider » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Typical cop. :lol:
Baysider

Return to Goose Hunting Forum