Early season

Honk!

Early season

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:38 am

I told this story (I think), but it irritates me so much, I'm gonna tell it again. I had a National Zoo biologist (that's what her name tag said- "Avian Biologist")- the NATIONAL ZOO, in DC, whose employees are Smithsonian employees, for hells sake- tell me that the duck my daughter and I were looking at was a wood duck hen with her ducklings. It was a drake Greenwing Teal.

If you're that dumb, you automatically forfeit your right to tell me what I can and can't shoot.
assateague

Early season

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:03 am

We killed 30 on opening morning last year....it pretty much sucked after that.

We have accomplished what the resident early season was put in place for...10 years ago, we would have 5-600 geese all summer, now less than 1,000. It kinda sucks now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340802236.681793.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Re: Early season

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:15 am

Its funny, i have a permit for lethal control of nuisance canada geese on the golf course. the wording says: " This permit allows you and/or your agents (workers/staff) to lethally control canada geese in order to reduce nuisance problems and/or disease risks associated with OVERABUNDANT canada goose populations."
FlintRiverFowler

Early season

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:32 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:We killed 30 on opening morning last year....it pretty much sucked after that.

We have accomplished what the resident early season was put in place for...10 years ago, we would have 5-600 geese all summer, now less than 1,000. It kinda sucks now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340802236.681793.jpg

I remember the first years of early goose, jgun and I put a fairly big dent in the population. His little brother shot all the banded ones though
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Early season

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:36 am

That was supposed to be 5-6 thousand not hundred.

I can't hardly get up for early season anymore. We used to stomp a mud hole in them...I think it was '07 we killed 400 in the 15 day early season...the last few years it's always 90* and I'm not much for hunting in shorts an flip flops.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 am

Haven't had much luck with early goose season here. KInda like teal season, it can be hit or miss. Though if the farmers start cutting corn early for silage here in Missouri, that might open up some fields.
goodkarmarising

Postby Baysider » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:28 am

My early season is pretty lax. I'll hit the water and speckled trout fish. Once the sun starts down I'll go behind the marsh island they ALWAYS fly over. Anchor my boat next to it and switch the rod for the 12ga. Once the flocks have left the golf course I go back to fishing. I scared one old trout fisherman so bad one time he almost fell off his boat. He cussed me for a month every time I saw him at the ramp. :lol:
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:10 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:it's more than likely because you guys don't know how to identify the sub species of canada geese.

I know I've been through this with you before buffle.

That test is easy, I passed it first try without studying. Just guessed my way through.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:55 am

3legged_lab wrote:
duckkillerclyde wrote:it's more than likely because you guys don't know how to identify the sub species of canada geese.

That test is easy, I passed it first try without studying. Just guessed my way through.

You hunt the permit zone? why did you take the test?

How did you know about the history without studying? Half the test is on the history. I find it hard to believe that you would just happen to know history in AK from the 60's but maybe.

I failed the test my first time and passed the second. I took the test upstairs at sportsmans warehouse before you could take it online. They use to mail you a post card with your permit but know you have to buy it at a POS.
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 am

POS= point of sale
duckkillerclyde

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:43 am

duckkillerclyde wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

You hunt the permit zone? why did you take the test?

How did you know about the history without studying? Half the test is on the history. I find it hard to believe that you would just happen to know history in AK from the 60's but maybe.

I failed the test my first time and passed the second. I took the test upstairs at sportsmans warehouse before you could take it online. They use to mail you a post card with your permit but know you have to buy it at a POS.

I took the test because a few of my hunting buddies have been talking about going up there for a hunt one day. And I hate to break it to the 'Zoners', but I will smoke any collared goose I see, Dusky or not.

I dont remember anything about AK history. The test was filled with questions about the sub-species, sizing, which color collars go on which bird, they even make you ID birds based on looking at a very generic drawing of geese. I did open the test study guide in another window for reference a few times, but think it was a useless test as I've pretty much forgot anything of importance. I do remember if I see a red collar, shoot it, thats the one all the collectors are after.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:43 pm

haha. red=dead

the ak history is about the earthquake. Maybe they have changed the test since they put it on the interent...?
duckkillerclyde

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:08 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:haha. red=dead

the ak history is about the earthquake. Maybe they have changed the test since they put it on the interent...?

I dont see what the AK earthquake has to do with ones ability to identify the different sub's of Canada Geese, maybe they had to change it after people complaining.

All I know is IF I ever make it up to the area to hunt my test has already been passed and is tied to my record with ODFW in the computer system - just have to pay for it.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:09 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
duckkillerclyde wrote:haha. red=dead

I dont see what the AK earthquake has to do with ones ability to identify the different sub's of Canada Geese, maybe they had to change it after people complaining.

All I know is IF I ever make it up to the area to hunt my test has already been passed and is tied to my record with ODFW in the computer system - just have to pay for it.

The earthquake is the reason why the dusky is dying. They keep nesting in a marsh that dried up because of an earthquake in the 60's.

You ought to get a WA WILD ID number and have ODFW fax WDFW your NW goose ID number so you can get SW WA goose ID number while they are still grandfathering them in from OR to WA. It is free. All you need is your hunter education number.
duckkillerclyde

Previous

Return to Goose Hunting Forum