Early season

Honk!

Early season

Postby Alloutwar13 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Is everybody ready for a September goose smash yet?
Alloutwar13

Re: Early season

Postby Olly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Alloutwar13 wrote:Is everybody ready for a September goose smash yet?

I know I am, I need some more shells and I wanna find an extra cheap layout for my moocher friends to use.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby capt1972 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 pm

I use a jet-sled and a piece of camo, waterproof and works awesome. Not to mention you can drag all your decoys out in the field with it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Olly wrote:

I know I am, I need some more shells and I wanna find an extra cheap layout for my moocher friends to use.

Keep an eye on the craigs list. I listed 4 dozen silos and had a guy offer to trade me a brand new, never used cabelas layout for them. Its been 3 years and I still havent used it, but the day a mooch (or when a kid tags along) it'll be well worth it.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Early season

Postby Westie25 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 am

I've been thinking about getting a layout and trying to get into some field hunting. It's just not very big around here.
Westie25

Early season

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:34 am

Layouts are very handy to have around whether you field hunt or not. Around the water where you don't have cover is the perfect place for a layout
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:37 am

Flightstopper wrote:Layouts are very handy to have around whether you field hunt or not. Around the water where you don't have cover is the perfect place for a layout

I've seen some layouts that can be out into 10" of water. I've always wanted one of those.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby JGUN » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:32 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Olly wrote:

Keep an eye on the craigs list. I listed 4 dozen silos and had a guy offer to trade me a brand new, never used cabelas layout for them. Its been 3 years and I still havent used it, but the day a mooch (or when a kid tags along) it'll be well worth it.

I trade you some more silos and some shells for that layout since you aren't using it?:wink:
JGUN

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 pm

JGUN wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
Olly wrote:

I trade you some more silos and some shells for that layout since you aren't using it?:wink:

It was a pretty basic cabelas model, I think I looked it up and it was only around 130 at the time. Felt kinda small inside to me, I'll probably just keep it for when the kids start going. I sold my old blind to a buddy who I dont think has even used it. If you are looking for one I can ask if he still has/wants to sell it.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:27 am

We seem to never have luck and time during early season. Didn't even go out last year until regular season started up.

And field hunting is a blast. Just a lot of work.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:42 pm

I haven't found a goose recipie I like enough to target them specifically. It's nice to hear that the season is right around the corner though.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby capt1972 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:11 pm

Goldfish wrote:I haven't found a goose recipie I like enough to target them specifically. It's nice to hear that the season is right around the corner though.

Try Myron's 20 Gauge. It's kinda like teriyaki but better. I hate teriyaki! Anyways, use around a 1/4 cup for 2 breasts in a gallon size ziplock bag and keep in the fridge. Leave it in for 2 days flipping the bag every time you go in the fridge. When ready to cook, let the meat come to room temp then cook on the grill. Cook just like you would a steak.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:37 pm

I honestly just jerky all the geese that I take home. Makes for a nice snack at work or in the blind.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Slice it thin across the grain and flour the way you would chicken fried steak or deer steak slices. Deep fry (the thin slices cook fast so it stays tender), I usually cook it at around 375* for 3 to 4 minutes.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:38 am

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I honestly just jerky all the geese that I take home. Makes for a nice snack at work or in the blind.

This, not many good goose recipes so I make a lot of goose jerky.

Sent from your honey hole.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:34 am

I would rather eat a goose than a duck any day.

I would rather eat beef than waterfowl any day.
duckkillerclyde

Early season

Postby Westie25 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:33 am

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I honestly just jerky all the geese that I take home. Makes for a nice snack at work or in the blind.

We don't kill many geese. In fact, I've killed 0 in 4 years. All our snow geese are used for jug bait.
Westie25

Early season

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:44 am

I go out every year, sometimes have luck, sometimes not. The problem (at least around here) with resident goose is that there's nowhere to hunt them. All the crops are still in the fields, and with all the wheat beans lately, most of the beans are still green. I'd like to have them push resident goose back to Oct 1st, at least let the corn get cut, but I'm sure more than a few would argue (wrongly) that we'd be killing migrators.

That being said, I set up in the bay on a point right next to a golf course. Usually the evenings better, because in the morning they just got up from the course to head out, and aren't likely to want to sit right back down. But in the evenings, I can usually catch a few lazy ones who want to check out the dekes rather than flying that last couple hundred yards back to the golf course.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:59 pm

I think NY has one of the better Early Goose seasons. We usually put a good hurting on them every year due to the 8 bird a day limit. Early season we hunt grass fields and winter wheat. Last year the wheat was better than the corn all season.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Early season

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Not even that long ago (maybe 4 years or so), we got 15 a day, no possession limit, and almost a month (if I remember right). There are more geese now than ever, and we get 8 and two weeks. Pisses me off.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:36 pm

assateague wrote:Not even that long ago (maybe 4 years or so), we got 15 a day, no possession limit, and almost a month (if I remember right). There are more geese now than ever, and we get 8 and two weeks. Pisses me off.

I never got MD's whole deal with goose hunting. Supposed to be the mecca for Canada hunting but during regular season you only can bag 2 a day? I get the concept, but they are growing in numbers pretty substantially, and even here, the limits are going down. I don't need to kill a lot of birds a day, but setting up 5-12 dozen decoys and grassing layouts at 4am isn't worth the 5 minute limit.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Early season

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:03 pm

No, it's not. With the exception of last year, I've never taken more than an hour max to shoot my two. But we usually don't go out that early. If we're going goosing, we usually don't head out until its light. No hurry for the geese, really.

And I blame the limits on the antis and he communists who run this state. How do you go from 15 to 8 resident geese, over a month to 2 weeks, and no possession limit to 16 in less than 5 years? Nonsense.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:15 pm

assateague wrote:No, it's not. With the exception of last year, I've never taken more than an hour max to shoot my two. But we usually don't go out that early. If we're going goosing, we usually don't head out until its light. No hurry for the geese, really.

And I blame the limits on the antis and he communists who run this state. How do you go from 15 to 8 resident geese, over a month to 2 weeks, and no possession limit to 16 in less than 5 years? Nonsense.

We only field hunt geese up here. They usually get off the roost a little before sunrise and go straight for the fields, so you gotta be there and ready. I've always wanted to go down there for a hunt, until I noticed the changes recently to MDs regs. Still could be fun if there was land to hunt.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bufflehead » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:46 pm

it is the same way in this part of NC. we are not allowed to kill any canada geese except for the last week of duck seeason and even then you have to be selected and are only allowed one per day. yet we are in a area known for it's goose and duck hunting. last year, we had the most canada geese i've ever seen

the rest of the state has a season with 4-5 a day
Bufflehead

Early season

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:11 pm

I think wildlife biologists are, for the most part, dumbshits.
assateague

Postby duckkillerclyde » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:18 pm

it's more than likely because you guys don't know how to identify the sub species of canada geese.

I know I've been through this with you before buffle.
duckkillerclyde

Postby Bufflehead » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:21 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:it's more than likely because you guys don't know how to identify the sub species of canada geese.

legaly, we don't have sub species of canad geese in NC. they are all considered CANADA GEESE.
Bufflehead

Postby duckkillerclyde » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Bufflehead wrote:
duckkillerclyde wrote:it's more than likely because you guys don't know how to identify the sub species of canada geese.

legaly, we don't have sub species of canad geese in NC. they are all considered CANADA GEESE.

The bio's know you aren't smart enough to be able to tell. :beer:
duckkillerclyde

Early season

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Like I said- they're dumbshits. They think it matters that there are subspecies. Or that the spotted owl exists. Or that people care about a snail darter. I ask you this- how incredibly worse is the world without T-Rexes and Dodo birds? Some things may just go, thank you very much. Thank God there weren't wildlife biologists during the Cenozoic era, or we'd still be losing farm animals and children to roving
bands of saber tooth tigers. I'd like to ask one to logically explain to me how the world would be a horrible place with only 1/4th the number of existing geese. Stupid, I tell you.

Oh, and around here the geese around up and off the water until first light, at the soonest, then they bounce around from field to field. We field hunt, too (just not for resident), and there's no need to get up and out there early. Birds fly all day around the fields here.
assateague

Early season

Postby Westie25 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 am

assateague wrote:I think wildlife biologists are, for the most part, dumbshits.

We run into some every so often that are swabbing for bird flu, and they never identify any duck. They don't know. Although, not sure they're wildlife biologist, they're from st Jude.
Westie25

Next

Return to Goose Hunting Forum