pass shooting SK

Honk!

Re: pass shooting SK

Postby team216 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Without seeing you in action it would be tough to say for sure. But make sure you focus on your target with your bead. I'm going to assume you're using winchester HV experts? At 15 yards your shot is hitting the bird before you even come off the trigger. Just take your time and focus on one bird.

Everyone misses. It's part of our sport. From my experiences I've noticed when I miss, it's because 1) I and picking out the next bird before I crunch the first. 2) I'm watching the bird instead of my front sight.
team216

Postby Tiler_J » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:33 pm

A lot of the time, for me at least, it's not taking my time. Up close shots I get overconfident and end up dumping three shells into the air. So my advise would be, slow down, pay attention to what you are doing, then shoot. If that doesn't work, go for the spray and pray technique. You are bound to connect eventually. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:31 am

Proper form. Gun up. Head down and keep it down. That's what I screw up most often. If I get in a hurry or after the first shot I pick my head up to find the next bird.

Also don't just focus on one bird, but where on that bird you want to hit him. If you are aware that there are any other birds in the world, you will miss almost every time.

If there are a bunch of birds, pick out your bird before you come up to shoot and stay focused on it. I pick mine as soon as I can. Just focus on that one as if it is the only bird. If they do something that forces you to switch, pick a new bird and focus on that one. And that should be the only bird you shoot at if you miss all three shots.

I missed a pair yesterday, beside being too far and I should not have shot :oops: I jumped to the next bird right after I missed the first, which is probably why I missed the first. Then I jumped back to the first after I missed the second. I probably even picked my head up. Did just about everything wrong I could on the first shots of the year. At least I got to redeem myself on three singles and looked like I knew what I was doing after that.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:56 am

The late Bob Bristor blessed me with the best wingshooting advice I ever received, "Concentrate on making correct gun mount automatic." Which I suspect is one reason a lot of good pre-mounted clays shooters fall so far short on live game. His suggestion was to keep a gun handy and just practice focusing on spots and bringing the gun to bear on them several times a day, and it sure helped my shooting.
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:35 pm

And maybe I do it wrong, but I never focus on the bead or gun at all when I shoot. I pull the gun up to where it's comfortable, get my head down and look at the eye of the bird I want to hit. If your looking at the bead, you are aiming, and from my experience that doesn't work when wing shooting. You'll almost always shoot behind them when you aim and be slow on a follow up shot.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Goose Hunting Forum